Thread: Parker 21 Super, hero nib replacement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Parker 21 Super, hero nib replacement

I bought the above Parker 21 Super with a destroyed nib a few months ago. I've been unable to find a vintage Octanium nib for a suitable price so I opted to try out a compatible Hero nib.

I bought a pair for $12.50 from ebay seller mizukushi, and they arrived very quickly from Hong Kong.

Here's the nib I started with.

And, no, that will not just buff out.

After cleaning the pen, to my profound relief, the hood came off easily. No shellac to heat up and no risk of warping the hood. The pen gods have been kind today.

The old nib came out easily with a rubber grippy pad, and the new nib fits fine, though a little less snugly. If that becomes an issue I can probably just gently pinch the nib tube together.

As for the most important question: in brief testing, the nib writes very smoothly and pleasantly and I am quite pleased to have this pen up and running.

Except... The hood was cracked, a common malady of these polystyrene pens. Apparently acetone can weld this type of plastic. I applied a little at a time with a small paint brush, inside and out. The plastic didn't turn to goop but before long the hood was airtight. Presumably the acetone seeped into the crack and welded the smallest clearances together.

I sanded the hood with 600 grit sandpaper to remove some bad scratches while attempting to fill the crack with polystyrene dust, and applied more acetone in hopes of filling the gap. That worked only partially.

Finally, I coated the area with a type of gap-filling cyanoacrylate glue that is safe for Styrofoam—which is made from polystyrene. After letting the CA dry without accelerator, I sanded down the glue buildup over the crack. Though still visible, I'm confident it won't leak anytime soon.
    Last edited by azkid; September 6th, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 6th, 2019), Chrissy (September 6th, 2019), juanseba (September 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Parker 21 Super, hero nib replacement

Good job so far, but I'm sure you will need a replacement hood. I've recently been there and experienced that with my Mb Woolf. You will be very relieved when you don't get inky fingers anymore.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens