Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visconti Ragtime 20th Anniversary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Visconti Ragtime 20th Anniversary

My Visconti Ragtime arrived from Pentime/Chatterly.

First: Well and safely packaged. And the little leather box it comes in is nice. The Visconti black ink is... Black ink, I inked it with it just to start with something I knew it'd like but. Well I never use black ink so it is sorta boring.

Second: Confusion. During my research everything said the anniversary edition came with the MyPen system including three little buttons, a pearl, and two other colored stones. Mine however, did not. Nothing in the box, no sign of it at all. Part of the reason I chose this pen was I liked the idea of customizing it and despite it being $$$, coming with three buttons ($15 each it looks like) made that price a little more reasonable.

Not sure what happened here, maybe only the BOX SET came with the buttons? Either way this is VERY unclear online and documentation made me expect it. Sad me, no customized pen until I buy yet another big.

3rd: Pen itself... I'm not sure yet. It does have similar COLORS to my beloved tortoise pens, but it is so definitely NOT what I usually buy that I'm still not quite sure. It is considerably heavier than my normal pens. I use primarily 50s era Pelikans and MBs. None of them are bigger than a modern Pelikan M400, and most weight in at right around an M400 as well. This is a GOOD thing. I don't like big and heavy.

The Ragtime isn't big, exactly, but it is considerably heavier than I am used to. Not sure if it is TOO heavy or not quite yet. Bryant had two of these left when I ordered and he sent me the one with the most "drama" and "movement" at my request. There is a still a significant white patch on the body. Not a fan of that, but the advantage is, I think it actually acts as an ink window. I can clearly see the brass section through it, and a pretty obvious black ink fill. As I write and that ink level drops we'll see if it actually works as an ink window.

Posted the pen is way too big, and too back heavy. But I don't generally post anyway, and unposted it seems to be OK, it is at least well balanced with the weight primarily in the grip section. I see why they made the section metal: the rear of the pen would be unbalanced and too heavy if the section were made of the pen body material.

I got number 0048/1988, oddly.

The nib is wet and very smooth. But also a total nail. For such a retro looking pen to have such a modern nib FEELS wrong. If I keep this puppy it is going STRAIGHT out to Pendelton to have the nib modified. As an M nail, I just wouldn't use it. (the stubs are totally sold out, no way to get them, but I've been wanting a quite fine italic for a while, so this medium should do.)

The material is very translucent, you can see the nib through the cap. The blind cap though doesn't match the pattern of the body and body and cap don't match at all either. I was surprised by that actually, I expected at least the blind cap to match up perfectly. I'm used to blind caps on my patterned Sonnechens and others that become invisible. Not necessarily bad, just different...

I've bought very, very few new pens in my time. Most of my pens are old and well used. A little in shock still at the price of this puppy. Straight out of the box I did not say "oh, WORTH IT."

This is my first Italian pen and maybe I should have gone with something a bit brighter and more completely different than my German pens? We'll see. My Lamy took time to grow on me, and while one Lamy is enough, I won't buy another, the Visconti may still convince me to get more of its kind. Or I may try another Italian pen maker before giving up and admitting that the Germans have my heart.

Don't REGRET it, let's be clear. But not yet convinced it'll be a permanent resident here. (The design IS retro enough to please my old pen loving heart.)

So after having it in my hot little hands for just an hour, hmmm.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (June 7th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default Re: Visconti Ragtime 20th Anniversary

Pictures? Would love to see. Visconti pens are heavy, no doubt about that. What size nib, did I miss that part?

Thanks

Yes, I did miss it is a medium. Sorry!

Thanks

I would definitely ask Bryant about the missing jewels. If that was your expectation, you should find out about it. Maybe it was an oversight. And, if it doesn't WOW you, send it back. You deserve to be WOWED.
    Show me a shiny blue fountain pen and I will probably buy it.

Thanks

Sorry, these are horrible pics, just my iPhone to hand:

Nib and section.

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

Piston knob, you can see how sparkly the gold really is:

See how translucent the cap is? This really isn't opaque material!

A bad shot, but shows how you can see the end of the section through the barrel and maybe the black of the ink in there. If so this works as a maybe ink view? Depends how much the ink sticks to the sides I guess.

I've inked the thing (you can see my first writing tests under the pen in these pictures), so I'd hate to return the thing, it's been inked. I'm not a fan of F/M/B nail nibs. They don't do my writing any favors. This nib will have to be italicized if I keep it. I use almost entirely flexible or italic (or old flat oblique nibs that act like stubs).

I'm not ready to send it back just yet. I'm just not, the nib is satin smooth, the pen really is quite well built, and it has a certain charm to it. Hmmmm.
    ---

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (June 8th, 2013), earthdawn (June 7th, 2013), Sketchy (June 8th, 2013)

Thanks

Very unique pen, I haven't seen one quite like it. The only Ragtime I have is very different from that one. I'm glad you are giving it a try - it does sound like a departure from what you usually write with. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

You can find more info on the Ragtimes here. There have been several series of Ragtimes. The earlier versions are lighter than the 2008 LE version.

Also, the answer to why there were no Visconti My System stuff is those only came with the three piece pen set that came in the wood roll top case.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (June 8th, 2013)

Thanks

Your anniversary Ragtime looks exactly like one. I'm fond of mine, but find it a little small. If your preference runs to smaller, lighter and German, Visconti may not be the way you want to go, at least not modern Visconti. I love them, but it seems my preference runs to large, heavy and Italian. I want to like some of the German pens, but am still trying to find one that floats my boat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WendyNC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Amazing how different tastes are, isn't it? I see people complaining that the MB XX2s as "unusably small," I use mine unposted and adore it. There's just no making sweeping generalizations.
    ---

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Great review.

I really liked reading your impressions of it on a personal level. Everyones expectations and feelings on a particular pen are different.

I have to say that I know how you feel as I felt the EXACT same way when I got my Delta Dolce Vita. I got a good deal on a pen that just struck me as one I had to have with its beautiful orange crush color. BUT when I got it and wrote with it I found the nib to be a NAIL! Zero give what so ever. Writes super smooth for a fine nib right out of the box but it allowed no flex or line variation at all.

A few months down the line I find Bryant has his own limited edition Delta Fusion 82 in a beautful Brown caramel color. Got it with a wonderful stub... and guess what... it fit the Delta Dolce Vita... so now guess where that nib resides lol.

So, in the end you never know what will happen to make you fall in love with a pen.

Lastly... I really love the depth of color in your pen. Really speaks out that it is no ordinary pen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WendyNC View Post
    Your anniversary Ragtime looks exactly like one. I'm fond of mine, but find it a little small. If your preference runs to smaller, lighter and German, Visconti may not be the way you want to go, at least not modern Visconti. I love them, but it seems my preference runs to large, heavy and Italian. I want to like some of the German pens, but am still trying to find one that floats my boat.
    That is me too. Fat and heavy, like my blue ripple. The ragtime I have was made for Fountain Pen Hospital's anniversary a couple of years ago. It is unusually small for a Visconti, but still has heft to it.

Thanks

Hi tandaina, seems like you don't like this Visconti ragtime very much If you always use small pens, then Visconti will not suit your favor, they are usually big and heavy. For me ,I like my Pelikan M400 and Mont Blanc 146 very much. I don't have any issue on the size of the pens including Visconti. Nowadays we can't obtain the flex nibs from modern pens any more, they are only springy not flexible. So I like my Pelikan 400NN very much because of the flex nib. Before,Visconti use the Bock gold nibs for their pens ,now they use 23k palladium nibs which are very smooth and can flex very well. Don't lose hope on Visconti, at least you will find one of them will suit your favor.

Thanks

I don't require flex, but a little spring utterly changes my hand writing. Sounds like I need to see about exchanging this for something with their paladium nib and see if that helps, or try a different Italian pen maker entirely?
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I don't require flex, but a little spring utterly changes my hand writing. Sounds like I need to see about exchanging this for something with their paladium nib and see if that helps, or try a different Italian pen maker entirely?
    I am sure the palladium nib will not let you down. Now,Visconti carries steel and palladium nibs only for the pens, no more gold nibs. Cos the Opera mosquito comes with chrome nib. If you want to try another Italian brand , Omas is quite famous of their nibs.
    Last edited by john; June 8th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I am sure the palladium nib will not let you down. Now,Visconti carries steel and palladium nibs only for the pens, no more gold nibs. Cos the Opera mosquito comes with chrome nib. If you want to try another Italian brand , Omas is quite famous of their nibs.
    Omas is famous for their nibs when they made the nibs themselves. That hasn't been true since about 2000. Bock has made the Omas nibs since then. Bock made the Visconti gold nibs and the current Pd nibs.

The current standard Omas nibs are only going to be slightly better than the gold Visconti nibs. Of the modern Italian companies, Omas would be the best choice for tandaina mainly because of their 'extra flessible' nib on some of the pens. This nib will be soft and springy although I find it a bit mushy. I do like the extra flessible nibs better than the Visconti Pd nibs which are soft but totally unresponsive. The problem is that the extra flessible nib comes on some of the older 90's Omas pens and some of the newer LE pens and those are a bit pricey.

At the end of the day, if you are used to vintage nibs, none of the nibs of modern Italians nibs really compare. It really is a pale shadow of what was. My recommendation for tandaina if she wants to try another Italian pen is to buy a vintage pen. Since she loves the vintage German pens, I would recommend an Italian pen from the late 40's or later since those will have piston fillers. Something like a 50's Omas 556 or 361, vintage Aurora 88 (not the modern version), or something a bit more colorful if she wants to spend the money.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

john (June 8th, 2013)

Thanks

Yeah, Altec I think you may be right. But I have very little luck finding antique Italian pens in the US.
    ---

Thanks

Yeah, Altec I think you may be right. But I have very little luck finding antique Italian pens in the US.
    They are hard to find in the wild. They are easiest to get via eBay, pen shows, and dealers.

Another possibility is to look for 1980's Omas pens. These do turn up in the US because Omas was exporting to the US at that time. The 80's nibs still have some of that vintage Omas magic.
    Last edited by AltecGreen; June 8th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 8th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    Omas is famous for their nibs when they made the nibs themselves. That hasn't been true since about 2000. Bock has made the Omas nibs since then. Bock made the Visconti gold nibs and the current Pd nibs.

The current standard Omas nibs are only going to be slightly better than the gold Visconti nibs. Of the modern Italian companies, Omas would be the best choice for tandaina mainly because of their 'extra flessible' nib on some of the pens. This nib will be soft and springy although I find it a bit mushy. I do like the extra flessible nibs better than the Visconti Pd nibs which are soft but totally unresponsive. The problem is that the extra flessible nib comes on some of the older 90's Omas pens and some of the newer LE pens and those are a bit pricey.

At the end of the day, if you are used to vintage nibs, none of the nibs of modern Italians nibs really compare. It really is a pale shadow of what was. My recommendation for tandaina if she wants to try another Italian pen is to buy a vintage pen. Since she loves the vintage German pens, I would recommend an Italian pen from the late 40's or later since those will have piston fillers. Something like a 50's Omas 556 or 361, vintage Aurora 88 (not the modern version), or something a bit more colorful if she wants to spend the money.
    Thanks a lot for the imformation. I have an old stock Omas Milord which 18k medium nibs is very responsive and performing better than the Visconti nibs. I have some vintage pens, their nibs are better than the modern nibs. I am disappointed on Aurora gold nib on my Ipsilon. It is a stiff nail. I have interest on Omas 361, but the price seems high by now.
    Last edited by john; June 8th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the information. I have an old stock Omas Milord which 18k medium nibs is very responsive and performing better than the Visconti nibs. I have some vintage pens, their nibs are better than the modern nibs. I am disappointed on Aurora gold nib on my Ipsilon. It is a stiff nail. I have interest on Omas 361, but the price seems high by now.
    The celluloid Omas 361s are going to be very expensive especially in the bronze arco celluloid. The resin models are much less. If you find those still too much, try looking for an Omas Vs. The Vs was the last iteration of the 361 and the prices seem to be lower that the resin 361s.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

john (June 8th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Tandaina, congratulations on your Ragtime and commiserations that it doesn't quite reach your expectations. My one is 1111/1988 and has a more mixed swirling of the colours. The large sections of colour on yours give it a more dramatic appearance.

Also like yourself mine did not come with any My Pen customisations. While AltecGreen said "
    Also, the answer to why there were no Visconti My System stuff is those only came with the three piece pen set that came in the wood roll top case." I have seen other non-set Ragtimes for sale with appear indication the My Pen accessories would be included. Others seem to come with an ink bottle instead. Given the variation with the Rembrandt calligraphy sets this comes as no surprise from Visconti and their dealers.

I'm surprised that you find the nib a 'nail'. My gold 14k M nib has a delightful springiness that can produce a degree of line variation. It is less stiff than the bigger silver coloured 14k M nib on the the regular Wall Street.
    Just noticed the Ragtime nib has a heart shaped breather and the Wall Street a crescent.
    Maybe trying paper and ink combinations could help.
    RagtimeWallStreet.jpgRagtimeWallStreetNibs.jpg
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

john (June 8th, 2013), Tracy Lee (June 9th, 2013)