Thread: Ultrasonic cleaners

Thanks

Default Ultrasonic cleaners

I think I’m at the point where I could use an ultrasonic cleaner, especially with older pens that have lots of old ink left behind. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Ultrasonic cleaners

I'm probably going to be the only member on here who offers the following advice.

I'm in the UK so what is available to me may be different to what is available to you. However, my preference was to buy a USC from a web-site that sells USC's to professionals such as dentists and jewellers among others.

Yes it is more expensive than the many USC's that can be found on Amazon or ebay. However, it's metal inside and out, is very robust, has a timer that goes for up to 15 minutes and gets the liquid inside nicely warm, and it does a good job every time I use it even if it's multiple times per day.

Once, a fuse blew and I was able to easily remove the base and replace it.

If anything else goes wrong with it, I can send it back to the manufacturer who will offer me a new model replacement at a reduced price if he can't fix it.

I paid what some will consider an astronomical price of almost £100 for it. In the world of USC's, I'm in the group of users who would say you get what you pay for.

Others have much cheaper USC's that have gone on for years and years and cost very little. The electric wiring should not be part of the lid, as opening and closing of the lid may affect that. My lid is completely removable and all of the electric and works are in the base.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

I have a James Ultra 7000. It was quite expensive - around £75.00 five years ago - but it does a decent job. I find I use it much less than I imagined I would. For cleaning, cotton buds and brushes do a better job than any ultrasonic cleaner. It's good for using with a deoxidizer to remove corrosion and rust but I don't get many pens in that state.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Just be careful with older pens that may have plating damage. If at all possible, remove metal parts. Any plating damage will be made worse bu an UC.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (September 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

I bought a Trent CD-7810 for $29.95 from Amazon about seven years ago and it's still going strong.

And yes it will remove the gold plating from a nib. Don't ask how I know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    I bought a Trent CD-7810 for $29.95 from Amazon about seven years ago and it's still going strong.

And yes it will remove the gold plating from a nib. Don't ask how I know.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Mines a cheapo no name that is labeled in Chinese. I had to reglue the metal pan in using RTV silicone sealant. It is noisy. But I've used it for pens, watch parts, and PCBs and it keeps going and hasn't burned the house down.. Yet. If it breaks I will either have to fix it myself or toss it.

I think I was looking at watchmaker USC machines awhile ago... And I think they were significantly more than $100 or £100.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Mines a cheapo no name that is labeled in Chinese. I had to reglue the metal pan in using RTV silicone sealant. It is noisy. But I've used it for pens, watch parts, and PCBs and it keeps going and hasn't burned the house down.. Yet. If it breaks I will either have to fix it myself or toss it.

I think I was looking at watchmaker USC machines awhile ago... And I think they were significantly more than $100 or £100.
    I have an Ultrawave one that I fixed myself. It's very old and came from the same company that I bought my new one from. I had started to notice small pieces of something underneath it and when I removed the screws in the base, there was a stone-like block of material that had two electrical connectors attached to it. The stone-like material had cracked and crumbled slightly and one of the connectors had dropped off.
    So I used some Milliput to repair the crack and crumbling part, re-attached the electrical connector, and left it to set for a few days. After that it worked perfectly again. The manufacturer asked if I wanted a job.
    I wasn't sure how long I could trust it for, so when they gave me a great deal on a new one I splurged and bought it.
    My version is the smallest in their range.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I have an Ultrawave one that I fixed myself. It's very old and came from the same company that I bought my new one from. I had started to notice small pieces of something underneath it and when I removed the screws in the base, there was a stone-like block of material that had two electrical connectors attached to it. The stone-like material had cracked and crumbled slightly and one of the connectors had dropped off.
    So I used some Milliput to repair the crack and crumbling part, re-attached the electrical connector, and left it to set for a few days. After that it worked perfectly again. The manufacturer asked if I wanted a job.
    I wasn't sure how long I could trust it for, so when they gave me a great deal on a new one I splurged and bought it.
    You should be on The Repair Shop.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

You should be on The Repair Shop.
    ROFL. My favourite TV show of all time.