Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into italic

Thanks

Default Getting into italic

I have recently decided that my life needs some line variation, so I started looking for italic pens. Since I have been enamorated with the Italix Parson's Essential for quite some time, I thought that maybe I could get one with an italic nib. I sent an e-mail to Peter Ford at MrPen.co.uk asking about the Parson's nib options:

Quote Originally Posted by Avastgard
    Hello, there.

I have been considering buying Italix Parson's Essential, but I haven't decided what nib to choose. I want to try one with some line variation, but since I am no calligraphy expert and intend to use the pen for everyday cursive writing, I was wondering if you could tell me what would be the best nib for that.

I don't have a very large calligraphy, so I am thinking that maybe a fine cursive stub would be ideal to me (line variation without distorting the lettering too much). The fact that it's a stub means that the nib is smoother for cursive writing, right? What about oblique nibs? Will they dig into the paper more than a stub?

Thank you for your attention.
    To which he replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ford
    You will get a fairly poor distinction between the lines from a fine cursive. If a fine italic nib is your main criteria, then choose the Italix 'Originalis' which uses 'Manuscript' nibs. A cursive has the corners of the nib tip rounded off, so less likely to dig the paper but will always be a compromise. Oblique should only be selected if you hold the pen at an angle and cannot correct this with a better grip. The Parson's is a spectacular pen for normal use because it is so smooth and free flowing, better to go for a standard fine italic and learn to adjust your grip.
    What are your thoughts on that? I thought that maybe I could get more line variation from a medium cursive stub, without having to adapt my grip (which I suppose I'll have to do if I get a fine italic). I really don't want to get a pen that will require me to learn how to write all over again. Also, I'm not sure what he meant by the Originalis' "manuscript" nibs. Does anybody know how it works?

Thanks

Default Re: Getting into italic

I can shed a bit of light on the Originalis and Manuscript. If you go here:
    http://mrpen.co.uk/index1.html
    then follow the link to Italix, you'll find the page. The Parson's Essential and Churchman's Prescriptor use iridium point Germany nibs reground by Mr Pen into various configurations. The Originalis takes nib units made by Manuscript, which effectively means that the nibs will be made by Leonardt who are very well regarded by dip pen users for calligraphy and in particular copperplate nibs. With additional nib units available at £5 this looks very promising for a calligraphy fountain pen, provided you like the design. A cheaper way to dip your toe in the water would be to get something like a Pelikan calligraphy pen or Lamy Joy, however.

If you want very fine hairlines and maximum line variation you need a formal italic grind, but be prepared to slow down and write carefully! Conversely, the reground cursive italic nibs used in the Parson's Essential are known to be exceptionally smooth and easy to write with. You might form a better idea of what to expect by watching Stephen Brown's review of the PE with an italic nib:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7skrabcAlw

Hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Avastgard (June 9th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Try a Pilot Plumix. Decent italic nib, lessn ten bucks. It'll give you a good idea of what Italics/stubs do.

don't overthink it for now, just get your feet wet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 9th, 2013)

Thanks

It seems that the Pilot Plumix would be a better way to start. I'm not into calligraphy, just everyday cursive writing.

Thanks

A good choice I think. I haven't tried a Plumix, but the Penmanship has the same barrel and section and it's outstandingly comfortable to write with, for me at least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Try a Pilot Plumix. Decent italic nib, lessn ten bucks. It'll give you a good idea of what Italics/stubs do.

don't overthink it for now, just get your feet wet.
    I second that. I use my Plumix as a daily pen for non-letter writing: notes, sketches, ideas, so it gets a good try-out every day. For the price, there's no feeling of ruining it and you can decide if you like the nib. Plus I like the look of the Bay State Blue sample from my blue Plumix.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThriveToScribe For This Useful Post:

Avastgard (June 10th, 2013)

Thanks

That's the exact kind of pen that I am looking for.

But something got me worried: I saw a Plumix at e-bay at reasonable price and shipping cost. Out of curiosity, I asked the seller if it had an italic nib. She responded that it didn't. Is the italic nib optional? Or is the seller uninformed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I don't believe all Plumix have italic nibs.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I've never seen one without it. It doesn't say 'italic' on the package. Nib's the whole point of the pen.

Thanks

My Plumix nib is marked "<M>" but the nib is italic. My impression is italic is the only option.

Thanks

I have contacted all the sellers on ebay who have listed Pilot Plumix pens and all of them answered that their pens did not have italic nibs. I have also inquired at Pilot's official website about this, but they still haven't answered (they should do so in 72 hours).

I could just buy a Plumix from GouletPens.com, as they sell italic ones, but their shipping rates to Brazil are ridiculously expensive (the cheapest option, with no tracking at all, often matches the price of the product itself).
    Last edited by Avastgard; June 12th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

Hehe, I just noticed, on the Italix website they refer to Stephen as a 'journalist'! And I suppose that's accurate!
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Isn't he a psychologist?

Thanks

Indeed, a psychologist with an interest in journals.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Avastgard (June 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fpquest View Post
    My Plumix nib is marked "<M>" but the nib is italic. My impression is italic is the only option.
    Same here. It certainly looks italic when I write with it. That's why I like it, it enhances my "penmanship".

Sent from the iPhone of Madame X.

Thanks

I really can't add more to the above replies, but I played with my pens earlier today, which some are crisp italic and stub. Here is the result:

As you can see, the nibs didn't help much to make up for my lack of talent. But I hope you get the idea.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Rex; June 13th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

Avastgard (June 13th, 2013), feder (February 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

The whole point of the Plumix is its italic nib. I have purchased several from eBay.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CapeClear For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (June 13th, 2013), thagbert (June 13th, 2013)

Thanks

The Pilot naming system for its nibs is not consistent. The Broad (B) from a 78G, the Medium (M) from the Plumix, and the Calligraphy Medium (CM) from the Pilot Prera are all italic nibs.

The sizes are all very close, if not the same. Probably a 1.1 nib. There is a Double Broad (BB) available on the 78G which is rather wide. Probably a 1.9.

Guess it helps sell more pens that way.

Plumix
    Pilot Prera CM
    78G Broad
    78G Double Broad
    Last edited by thagbert; June 13th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Indeed, a psychologist with an interest in journals.
    Oh, now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by thagbert View Post
    The Pilot naming system for its nibs is not consistent. The Broad (B) from a 78G, the Medium (M) from the Plumix, and the Calligraphy Medium (CM) from the Pilot Prera are all italic nibs.

The sizes are all very close, if not the same. Probably a 1.1 nib. There is a Double Broad (BB) available on the 78G which is rather wide. Probably a 1.9.

Plumix
    Pilot Prera CM
    78G Broad
    78G Double Broad
    The Plumix you mentioned just doesn't show up when I search for "Plumix" on eBay. It's probably because the seller doesn't ship to Brazil. Too bad...

But, are you sure about this nib naming system? It's amazing how none of the sellers I contacted on eBay would know that and just say that they didn't have any italic nibs (although all the ones I looked up were listed as "medium" nibs).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avastgard View Post

Oh, now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by thagbert View Post

Plumix
    Pilot Prera CM
    78G Broad
    78G Double Broad
    The Plumix you mentioned just doesn't show up when I search for "Plumix" on eBay. It's probably because the seller doesn't ship to Brazil. Too bad...

But, are you sure about this nib naming system? It's amazing how none of the sellers I contacted on eBay would know that and just say that they didn't have any italic nibs (although all the ones I looked up were listed as "medium" nibs).
    The Pilot naming system causes much confusion. It is easier to feign ignorance than to try to explain the differences.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post: