Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK to USA: Import or Taxes?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,548 Times in 1,756 Posts

Default Re: UK to USA: Import or Taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fangfarrier View Post
    Donít forget that as the pen is export you can ask for the 20% Value Added Tax to be removed by filling in a form so thatíll bring the price down to $250.

Fangfarrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely! I thought about this last night while I was in bed. You can definitely request that the item value on the Customs form should be VAT free.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Mark Dillon (September 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Ehm, hello? Claiming VAT back in country of purchase and under-declaring, or not declaring at all, in country of residence? How can you not see this as tax evasion? Or smuggling for that matter?

Donít get me wrong, it did not feel fine to pay NL import duties and VAT on imports from the US and from Japan (and soon from the UK ) but that is the way it is...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,548 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Ehm, hello? Claiming VAT back in country of purchase and under-declaring, or not declaring at all, in country of residence? How can you not see this as tax evasion? Or smuggling for that matter?

Donít get me wrong, it did not feel fine to pay NL import duties and VAT on imports from the US and from Japan (and soon from the UK ) but that is the way it is...
    Are you saying that the US have to charge Import Tax calculated on the 20% VAT that was already charged in the export Country?
    I don't think I said that the 20% VAT should actually be claimed back, but merely suggested the Customs form should not include the VAT portion as part of the value of the item. If it was included then the US could be charging Import tax on the 20% VAT that has already been paid, when it shouldn't have been paid in the first place. That's why I said You can definitely request that the item value on the Customs form should be VAT free.
    If the pen is just over $300 then declaring the value without VAT on the Customs form might be enough.
    I've said what I think and won't be revisiting this thread again. Enough said.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post

You do not need to pay VAT if you're buying from a VAT-registered seller and you are from a country outside the EU buying from inside it, for example. This is why there are some EU eBay sellers who aim at buyers outside the EU and say that any from inside will need to pay VAT on top (which really annoys me as a pricing model, but hey).

You do of course need to pay your own country's fees, taxes and duties.
    Last edited by Voiren; September 24th, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I thought the import duty threshold was changed to $800 a couple years ago (around 2015/16). Maybe it was changed back more recently.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

Mark Dillon (September 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dillon View Post
    Do you have any experience buying a pen from the UK and having it sent to the US?

Are there any import fees, taxes or other expenses incurred or does it simply arrive?

Iíve bought a few pens from Japan and not had any issues but Iím considering a purchase from the UK and it would be my first.
    Now is the time to do this, exchange rates are almost as low as theyíve ever been. Value for the dollar is at an all time high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trystanglobal For This Useful Post:

Mark Dillon (September 25th, 2019)