Thread: Mb 146 small leak?

Thanks

Default Mb 146 small leak?

Picked up an MB 146 M c2017. This is my first piston filler. Writes well, however, I noticed ink in the cap and a tiny bit on the hands. Is this normal? Perhaps I filled too much? I’ve looked online and the best that I have seems to be no this should not leak, but temperature changes may cause this? Any advice for this newbie would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Mb 146 small leak?

It’s more likely that pen was bumped or jostled and some of the ink of the ink on the wet feed fell into the cap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    It’s more likely that pen was bumped or jostled and some of the ink of the ink on the wet feed fell into the cap.
    Thank you! So this is probably normal? I’ve had a boheme for years and never had a single leak.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

I suggest you carefully clean all of the ink from out of the cap and around the grip then write with it for a while.

If you end up with ink on your fingers then you might need to examine the grip with a loupe to see if there is a hairline crack.

It's not an expensive fix for a regular modern 146. Montblanc will replace everything to do with the piston, barrel and grip for a level 1 service charge. Bearing in mind all of the parts that will be replaced with new ones, it's a bargain price to get an almost new pen (excluding the nib and cap.)
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

sniper777 (September 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I suggest you carefully clean all of the ink from out of the cap and around the grip then write with it for a while.

If you end up with ink on your fingers then you might need to examine the grip with a loupe to see if there is a hairline crack.

It's not an expensive fix for a regular modern 146. Montblanc will replace everything to do with the piston, barrel and grip for a level 1 service charge. Bearing in mind all of the parts that will be replaced with new ones, it's a bargain price to get an almost new pen (excluding the nib and cap.)
    Thank you Chrissy!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Also to prevent leakage, follow Montblanc's instructions and eject three drops of ink after you fill the pen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

And remember that if there was a leak in the past there is a high probability that there may be ink between the cap and inner cap which can be difficult to clean.

AbE:

Look up inside the cap for a slotted screw. That will let you take off the dome, the pocket clip and remove the inner cap. Once everything is apart you can do a proper clean and dry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

The feed collar on the 146 can leak, delivering ink to the side of the section. Also, ink can accumulate in that gap while filling and find its way back out during normal use.

MB Leak.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you! The leak seems to be coming from where the nib connects. It’s small now, but it is there. Is this a small fix, perhaps reseating the nib or a seal issue? Any help is appreciated. The Dallas Pen Show is tomorrow and I thought about bringing it for repair.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniper777 View Post
    Thank you! The leak seems to be coming from where the nib connects. It’s small now, but it is there. Is this a small fix, perhaps reseating the nib or a seal issue? Any help is appreciated. The Dallas Pen Show is tomorrow and I thought about bringing it for repair.
    Nope it's not a small fix unless the person fixing it has the correct type of Montblanc nib tool. Montblanc do use a pink bubble gum type of sealant for their nib units, inside the feeder case and section, but it's also unlikely that anyone other than them will have that same sealant.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniper777 View Post
    Chrissy is right that you should use the nib tool. There are alternatives to the MB “Bubblegum” sealant. Someone at the pen show might be able to fix it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Look for Pendemonium or Write Pen. I think both are going to be there and should be able to help.

Thanks

Take a look at the rubber(?) seal between the nib and the feed and the section where you hold it.

My MB146 developed a hairline crack that developed into a bigger hole which resulted in the same leak as you described.

The repair cost £90.

However, if your pen is a 2017 model, you might be lucky as MB pens come with a 2 year guarantee - so you might, just might get a free repair.

Sorry, having seen the photo - it looks like you have a (small) crack.

Thanks

Simply send it to Montblanc!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks, everyone!

I sent it to the person I purchased it from and they happily took it back. The pic above was pulled as an example from dneal. From what I caould tell, it looked like it needed to be resealed.