Thread: Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Converter Issue

Thanks

Default Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Converter Issue

Hi! Just wanted to ask help from y'all. So I just got a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar and it appears that the Platinum 500 converter doesn't work with it as it pushes against the barrel because its too lengthy for the pen. Because of this, I can’t screw the barrel all the way down at the nib grip area. I thought that Platinum converters work with Nakaya pens in the first place.

Any leads, help, or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Converter Issue

It was my understanding that the Nakaya Piccolo Cigar comes complete with it's Platinum converter. This converter

I wonder if you, by any chance, have the International cartridge adapter fitted into the section and that is making the converter too long for the barrel?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jar (September 30th, 2019)

Thanks

I’m afraid there is no international cartridge in there

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valefor518 View Post
    I’m afraid there is no international cartridge in there
    That's not what I meant. In order for the possibility of using an International cartridge inside the pen, there is an adapter that fits onto the section nipple. If that is on there then the converter may not fit properly inside the barrel.
    In any case the converter that comes with the pen fits. If your converter doesn't fit then, for some reason, you aren't using the one that came with the pen. You need the version that comes with the pen. The Platinum 700 may be the only one that works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jar (September 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Alright thanks a lot! I greatly appreciate the help. There is no international adapter in there. Will drop by the store to get a Platinum 700 since I think my converter is just not compatible. Will keep you posted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Hm... where did you buy the Piccolo?

I'm not aware of different Nakaya/Platinum converters.. if you ordered directly from Nakaya, then a converter wouldn't have been included. As far as I know, nibs.com includes a converter.

Long shot: Is there anything in the barrel that's interfering with the fit? Some tissue or material maybe? (As said, long shot. Cos stymied. )

Last thought: Maybe Nakaya made a mistake and didn't drill a proper fit? Are the cartridge and converter the same length?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

From the OP's description it sounds like the previous owner had put a Platinum Cartridge adapter into the Nakaya. It looks like this: See the second, third, and fourth pictures---

https://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-Car...dapter/pd/5285

As I recall, the Cartridge adapter actually slides onto the Nakaya section and the universal ink cartridge slides into the adapter. There was a thread about this in 2012(?) that fpn member Wiley E Coyote wrote about.

"The only problem I have ever heard, is when someone bought a used Nakaya and didn't realize the previous owner had left the international cartridge adapter in the pen. Apparently, the converter will work with the international adapter but it will not seat completely and possibly leak."

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; September 30th, 2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Mistake in how the adapter fits on.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

There is no international adapter in there.
    ?

Maybe it's there, just doesn't look like it?

Mystery!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    From the OP's description it sounds like the previous owner had put a Platinum Cartridge adapter into the Nakaya. It looks like this: See the second, third, and fourth pictures---

https://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-Car...dapter/pd/5285

As I recall, the Cartridge adapter actually slides onto the Nakaya section and the universal ink cartridge slides into the adapter. There was a thread about this in 2012(?) that fpn member Wiley E Coyote wrote about.

"The only problem I have ever heard, is when someone bought a used Nakaya and didn't realize the previous owner had left the international cartridge adapter in the pen. Apparently, the converter will work with the international adapter but it will not seat completely and possibly leak."

All the Best.
    Those were exactly my initial thoughts, but OP says it's not there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

A good light should be the next step. Look to see how wide the male nipple is inside the section. If it appears to be about 2mm wide then there is an adapter in there.

If so a set of tweezers should be the final step.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Here’

Thanks

Here’s some pictures that might help The parts in the section seem pretty tight so Im not entirely sure if theres an adapter in there. I got it from a Japanese reseller btw

https://imgur.com/gallery/SMwqMhK

First photo is the section

Thanks

I also just got both the Platinum 700 just in case my 500 converter was faulty but still doesn’t screw on properly

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

The image is not clear enough to tell anything.

Thanks

Here’
    This post looks like it might be a mistake. You can click on "Edit post" on your post and delete it altogether by clicking on "Delete post" then confirming by checking the box on the right hand side.

You can edit or delete your posts forever. You may have to "Go Advanced" in order to do either.

Thanks

I also just got both the Platinum 700 just in case my 500 converter was faulty but still doesn’t screw on properly
    The Platinum converter is the only converter that fits your pen. It only fits if there is no International cartridge adaptor already on the nipple.

There are only 2 possibilities:

1. The International cartridge adaptor is in there and may be stuck. You need to remove it before the converter will fit onto the nipple. If you can't remove it then you can't use a Platinum converter.

2. There is something down inside the barrel preventing it from screwing on when the converter is in there.

If you can't get the cartridge adapter out and there is nothing in the barrel then you need to return the pen since you will never be able to use it with it's converter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The Platinum converter is the only converter that fits your pen. It only fits if there is no International cartridge adaptor already on the nipple.

There are only 2 possibilities:

1. The International cartridge adaptor is in there and may be stuck. You need to remove it before the converter will fit onto the nipple. If you can't remove it then you can't use a Platinum converter.

2. There is something down inside the barrel preventing it from screwing on when the converter is in there.

If you can't get the cartridge adapter out and there is nothing in the barrel then you need to return the pen since you will never be able to use it with it's converter.
    Yep, Chrissy's correct on all accounts. One thought as to the international cartridge adapter problem. If you have some short size international ink cartridges, try one to see if it fits in the section and provides ink to the nib. Don't force it in. The international short cartridge should slide in easily.

In the link provided, on the left hand side you will see a list of all available brands that are in international short .

https://www.jetpens.com/Ink-Cartridg...7c7eae15a&so=0

If you can't get any international short cartridges at a store nearby and you live in the US, PM me with your name and address and I'll post a couple of Diamine ink cartridges to you free. If you live in the Eurozone or Asia perhaps one of the other geeks might be able to send you one.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; October 2nd, 2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

I was going to suggest what junglejim suggested: See if an international cartridge fits. A Waterman or Pelikan cartridge should fit, regardless of length. You're just trying to see if it fits at the business end.

"Well. Do ya feel lucky, punk?"
    "I gotsta know."

*Hoping it fits*

Thanks

Hi folks

I know this is an old thread but came across it looking for Nakaya converter info…

I have 2 Nakaya Piccolo Cigars (kure-tamenuri – different nibs :-) and I noticed that one of them (or maybe both) the barrel didn't screw all the way down like the OP

what I found was that the thread in the converter was projecting out of the back of the converter ever so slightly, so I dismantled the converter to try to get it to align differently… this sort of worked but not fully so I shaved off maybe 0.5mm or so off the top of the thread and also made sure after filling that the thread did not project out of the back of the converter and if it did to turn the "turny bit" until the thread no longer protruded… this always fixes the issue for my pens.

may not help the OP but it is worth a try.

cheers from Oz
    Trevor