Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black ink/pen assistance please!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Default Re: Black ink/pen assistance please!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I don't have experience with all the inks you mentioned, but if I try a new brand of paper and it feathers and/or bleeds with black
    Quink, Into the paper shredder it goes; I mulch my garlic patch with it.
    Do the gophers get sick if they eat any?
    Sorry. I don't know from gophers. We have woodchucks here. They won't touch the mulch because it is made from indifferent quality paper and is sprinkled with out-takes from my journal writing. They can't abide all the sesquipedalian words. When Charles shows his little fuzzy haid above ground, I use a ball bat and a shovel and teach him how to grow beans.
    Ah. Well, in that case, I've got to ask (and please forgive me, because I'm sure you've been asked it before), BUT, would you happen to know, or even be able to make an educated guess at, how much wood a woodchuck would chuck, assuming, of course, that a woodchuck would chuck wood.
    Last edited by calamus; October 10th, 2019 at 05:42 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

I don't have experience with all the inks you mentioned, but if I try a new brand of paper and it feathers and/or bleeds with black
    Quink, Into the paper shredder it goes; I mulch my garlic patch with it.
    Do the gophers get sick if they eat any?
    Sorry. I don't know from gophers. We have woodchucks here. They won't touch the mulch because it is made from indifferent quality paper and is sprinkled with out-takes from my journal writing. They can't abide all the sesquipedalian words. When Charles shows his little fuzzy haid above ground, I use a ball bat and a shovel and teach him how to grow beans.
    Ah. Well, in that case, I've got to ask (and please forgive me, because I'm sure you've been asked it before), BUT, would you happen to know, or even be able to make an educated guess at, how much wood a woodchuck would chuck, assuming, of course, that a woodchuck would chuck wood.
    I was going to do some research on that subject, but Charles doesn't have enough longevity here to provide sufficient data. When Charles first shows up in the spring, he has just enough time to eat a few pea vines and some bean sprouts before he ends up in a roaster, cuddling with potatoes and parsnips. (In case you are interested, the flavor is like squirrel.) After that, when he has had time to become mangy and parasite-ridden, perhaps from eating the neighbors' broccoli and cauliflower, he takes a seat in bean-growing school.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Interesting question, but since you have all the pens and the inks and don't want to buy more, why not try dip testing them all? I know that means the feed will be more saturated than normal, but it should at least narrow your choices.

I don't have a lot of the supplies you've got. I find with fountain pens, same brand and same pen and same nib size can be a different experience, so no help there. Inks are probably a little more consistent, but I don't own two of any bottle so I'm not sure. Paper is going to be very important for how smooth the nib feels, as with how large you are writing or drawing. How black the ink looks on the page can also be very dependent on the paper.

One thing I can suggest is that if you want to make any pen with any ink a little smoother, you could try cleaning it with a drop of soap in water. That can really improve things. And since you've got a couple cheapos, you could see about smoothing them out yourself with some micro-mesh, although I've never tried this myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I vote for the Sailor carts in the Sapporo.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 16th, 2019)