Thread: Finding new owners.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Finding new owners.

So, these were once in the Classifieds but are now here.

As I am not feeling quite alert right now, I am finding it difficult to locate appropriate destinations for these pens. They are nothing special, other than to say that one is an iconic vintage pen and the other two have somewhat interesting nibs.

My reason for offloading is partly connected with my very poor and deteriorating health, and some other issues I've had with online forums. Why not sell? Because that creates a tension and a relationship between buyer and seller that carries obligations and expectations, and can lead to further enmity that I do not wish to bear (despite having a good record as a seller).

Anyway, I cannot give criteria for the recipient. It's rather going to depend on the 'feel' that I have for people, which up to now has been quite lacking.

There it is. They will sit here until I make a decision.

The Parker 51 vacumatic in a kind of dark grey colour lucite. Heading out in two days to the pen equivalent of a breaker's yard.

The Duofolds are off to a new home in the US tomorrow (Tues).
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 8th, 2019 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Finding new owners.

This middle school history teacher, as I am sure other users here would as well, would be happy to carry on the torch of your collection. I have tried to narrow down my pen collecting these days to only Parker pens. I appreciate the simplistic beauty and craftsmanship of their designs and the durability of them. Just think about how many of their pens have survived to 2019. As of late I have been trying to focus on the 51, but have other models of theirs as well. Recently, while attending a masters course for my degree, a undergraduate intern noticed my fountain pen use, which happened to be a 51, and he accurately identified it as such. He told me about how trendy fountain pens were becoming with people his age. I had a strange moment of reflection, then felt kinda proud to inform him that this 35 (at that time) year old had been collecting 51's for a while, and for me the entire experience, from buying, restoring, researching, and then using a pen that has lasted decades and been through so much, is why I use fountain pens. He said cool and walked away. No matter who you find to give your pens to, take solace in the fact you have been able to keep these items around and functional, so posterity will be able to still have conversations and use from them. I know it sounds cheesy, but in a way I view my fountain pen use and ownership as a legacy for posterity. Good luck with your search and I pray that you find joy and peace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hey EoC, you need your pens more than anyone else. Think of the people who made them 60 years ago so that you can hold them today, 11000 miles away from their factory, using them and enjoying them.

Use them to record your days and where you want to be in the future, your hopes and dreams.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 3rd, 2019)

Thanks

EoC, normally one is the best judge of one's own happiness. But it is usually advised not to make big life changes right before or after milestones - weddings, deaths, serious illness. You are still struggling with the aftereffects of pneumonia. Your feelings may be unduly influenced by the trauma your body has endured.

While you have generously given away pens in the past, you have sometimes regretted it. Please give your body and soul time to heal before giving away any more - you may want to use them again someday.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 3rd, 2019), guyy (August 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (October 3rd, 2019)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    EoC, normally one is the best judge of one's own happiness. But it is usually advised not to make big life changes right before or after milestones - weddings, deaths, serious illness. You are still struggling with the aftereffects of pneumonia. Your feelings may be unduly influenced by the trauma your body has endured.

While you have generously given away pens in the past, you have sometimes regretted it. Please give your body and soul time to heal before giving away any more - you may want to use them again someday.
    I’m going to whole heartedly agree here. This is an amazing gesture (that “51” is gorgeous, but then i think all “51”s are... even the stubby vac Demis)

If you do decide to go through with this, I hope the recipients understand and appreciate what you have given them: the opportunity to enjoy amazing pieces of history and the responsibility to try and make sure they last ANOTHER 70 years!

I don't know The specifics of your situation, nor do I expect you to share them, but this is the kind of gesture that rebuilds (For me at least) some faith in humanity! (Something I think has been sorely lacking in the world lately)

Thank you for this.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

Edit: further down in my “what’s new” feed I found your post in the for sale forums; I hope you feel better soon. Being sick and isolated can be very lonely and demoralizing. Something i wish no one had to endure.

I hope you feel better soon and can get back to doing the things that make you happy!
    Last edited by INeedAFinancialAdvisor; October 3rd, 2019 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks

To add to what I wrote: you can give away pens anytime. But should you want to use them again, vintage pens that you like are, it seems, few and far between in NZ. Your collection is way easier to disperse than to reassemble.

Give yourself some time. Months would be my recommendation. If after you've been healthy and happy for a while you find you don't miss using your pens, then that's more the time to give them away.

I forgot to say in my previous post that pneumonia is a beast. Recovery can be a long and wearisome process. Please be patient and kind to yourself - take it slowly. And let us know how you're doing. A wide assemblage of us out here care.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 4th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (October 5th, 2019), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (October 4th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (October 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks for those thoughts; surprisingly you are not the only one who has lately told me to be kind to myself (and I am rather hard on myself if truth be told).

Nearly 4 weeks since I contracted this illness. The coughing has become a little more manageable and less painful, and my energy seems to be levelling rather than dropping. Cautiously, I think a corner may have been turned (I hope).

PS. I see that someone has appended a snarky tag to this thread.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 6th, 2019 at 02:20 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 5th, 2019), junglejim (October 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Okay, I have a willing recipient for the Duofolds, so they will heading overseas next week! That makes me very happy.

Thanks

I am new to fountain pens and new to the forum. I have just happened upon this thread and know nothing of your circumstances. I think it would be great if you were to keep the 51 and use it to become my snail mail pen pal. I am not a young man so no I am sure we could find something to converse about. Tony.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Thanks for those thoughts; surprisingly you are not the only one who has lately told me to be kind to myself (and I am rather hard on myself if truth be told).

Nearly 4 weeks since I contracted this illness. The coughing has become a little more manageable and less painful, and my energy seems to be levelling rather than dropping. Cautiously, I think a corner may have been turned (I hope).
    I am relieved to hear that you are slowly starting to feel better, David. An illness like that makes us suddenly aware of our own mortality. (Ask me how I know, lol.) I had the added burden of a lifetime of asthma so it was very touch and go for a while. Once you are up and around, see your family physician about getting a pneumonia shot (Prevanar 13 or Synflorix). because there are so many different strains of pneumococcus floating around. Take it slow and don't overdo it. It will take a while to finally get your breathing and strength back. And for gods sake, avoid other sick people and little children.

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 7th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (October 7th, 2019)

Thanks

The 51 doesn't write well, and I suspect that yet again I've been sold a piece of junk by an ebay seller. It's massively disappointing that I've never found a 51 that writes a nice fine line at a low angle.

Anyway, it will go to someone in the US who may be able to use it for parts.

Thanks

Slight update: another week has passed and I am definitely on the road to recovery. It has been (and continues to be to a degree) frustrating not being allowed to return to sport/exercise, but that light at the end of the tunnel is getting nearer. Back to work full time this coming week, and wow do I have a big backlog!

Edit: to the tagger, this is not an "adieu" thread. It was a pay-it-forward thread with the view to cutting pens that I am not using. Next time... try to understand what you are reading.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 14th, 2019), azkid (October 13th, 2019), catbert (October 13th, 2019), empliau (October 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,120 Posts

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, EoC. As someone in the other place used to say, be well ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Really glad to hear things are improving.

Snarky anonymous taggers can get bent as far as I am concerned.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (October 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Really glad to hear things are improving.

Snarky anonymous taggers can get bent as far as I am concerned.
    Ditto on both counts. Take care of yourself!

Thanks

Hello , EOC ,Knock, knock ,knock < Are you health and heartty
    Just knoking on your doors to say hello and to hear from you that you are doing fine and all is well??
    all my blessings !!!

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Finding new owners.

Dear Empty of Clouds,

It's been a long time since your thread was started. I hope that in all this time that's passed, that you're back to feeling 100%! Thank you for being kind enough to entrust your lovely fountain pens onto other folks❤️ That was awful kind of you! Hope all is well in life!

Sincerely,

This guy