Thread: Waterman Repair/Resurection - where to get parts, modification ideas??

Thanks

Default Waterman Repair/Resurection - where to get parts, modification ideas??

It has been over 30 years since I last used this great Waterman lever-fill pen. It was loved and used daily for decade while I was in university before it developed a small leak in the filler sac because of a crack in the lever. I washed it out and stored it and moved on to a Parker 51. This was given to me by my grandfather and I think now is the time to resurrect this pen.

I create jewellery as a serious hobby and have all the tools to do this repair. I have considered casting parts but if I intend to return it to it's original state I would feel more comfortable just doing a replacement with proper parts. My overall concept is to restore the pen to a working state and perhaps if possible I would like to get away from a lever-fill. I have thought of creating a new second barrel for a different fill mechanism.

... so does anyone know of places that sell replacement parts, other than eBay for donor pens? Also upgrade suggestions would be appreciated as I have limited experience in modifying pens and do not want to damage this pen.

Thanks for the input !!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Repair/Resurection - where to get parts, modification ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    ...Waterman lever-fill pen....
    What model and year? Lever-filler Watermans span decades. A photo would help.

Rob Lott
    Dale Bebee
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 3rd, 2019 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman Repair/Resurection - where to get parts, modification ideas??

[QUOTE=FredRydr;274308]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    ...Waterman lever-fill pen....
    What model and year? Lever-filler Watermans span decades. A photo would help.

I do realize that a photo would be helpful, just posted during my morning coffee fog. Will post a photo by tomorrow ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

FWIW I am aware of some places that sell new lever filler pressure bars (J bars) and new ink sacs. Pen dragons and Indy Pen Dance are two that come to mind right away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    FWIW I am aware of some places that sell new lever filler pressure bars (J bars) and new ink sacs. Pen dragons and Indy Pen Dance are two that come to mind right away.
    Older Watermans don't use J-bars but slide bars.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Thanks, will check out the potential sellers for parts. As well the more info the better I am a noob on this and really do not want to kill the pen.

Thanks

What part of the lever system is "cracked"? a new pressure bar is easy to install and likely obtainable from a comparatively inexpensive donor pen and so long as the section isn't shellaced in to the barrel, the sac replacement is also a simple repair.

However, if this pen is deeply sentimental to you, a professional repair is probably the best route.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Older Watermans don't use J-bars but slide bars.
    Interesting. (to OP, Deb is one of our restoration gurus). Is that the same as an A bar or something else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

The bar slides on to hooks on the lever. Used by Waterman and Conway Stewart. It's more efficient then a j-bar because it presses the sac entirely flat.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (October 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks all, lots of information so far. I have the pen at my weekend get-away so will retrieve it snap some photos and start looking towards the repairs. Although there is quite a bit of sentiment for this pen I realize that it has little value even if it was completely restored. I basically want to return it to a working state and save as much of the original pen as possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

A key issue with replacing Waterman's lever boxes is to be sure that the replacement comes from a pen with similar barrel diameter. I have here a Lady Patricia, that fills perfectly but the lever moves only half the usual travel; clearly the lever assembly has been replaced at some time with a unit from a larger pen.

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!