Thread: Lamy AL-Star v. Pilot Metropolitan first pen?

Thanks

Default Lamy AL-Star v. Pilot Metropolitan first pen?

I've only just gotten into fountain pens. I use a cheapo from Walgreens and it makes me want to get a "real" fountain pen. I've done a ton of research and I keep hearing both the Metropolitan and the Safari. I found the AL-Star was a metal version of the Safari, and I think I would prefer that. This being said, what would you suggest? I've seen this discussed all over the place but y'all seem to know what you're talking about. I want your opinion! Thanks!!

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy AL-Star v. Pilot Metropolitan first pen?

I'd throw an Eco into the mix. I've had Safari's and Alstar but no Metro. I bought Eco that was going cheap on Ebay and think it's better then the two Lamys. No reason why you go for one as a first pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Those are all good writers, the Met being the least $. It may come down to whether you want a piston filler, and what your section preference is...shaped grip or no?

Good luck.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

You probably won't know what you prefer u til you try it. Fortunately you can't go wrong with either pen.

Thanks

After considering both brands, I opted for the Lamy Al Star. I like the atypical shape and the ability to change out nibs like my vintage Esterbrook restorations.

Thanks

It’s funny, i’ve had a couple Safaris and never took to them. On the other hand, i like the Al-Star and use one pretty much every day.

Meanwhile my metro gathers dust because i dislike the weight & section step of the Metro.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (October 12th, 2019)

Thanks

+1 for the TWSBI Eco. But, honestly, you can't go wrong with the Metro or the Safari either. Solid pens all. Amongst the Safaris, I prefer the ones with the matte finish. The shiny ones seem more like school pens to me...

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    It’s funny, i’ve had a couple Safaris and never took to them. On the other hand, i like the Al-Star and use one pretty much every day.

Meanwhile my metro gathers dust because i dislike the weight & section step of the Metro.
    Me too, at least on the Metro. That abrupt change in diameter right around where I hold the pen makes it uncomfortable for me. For the sake of recommending inexpensive fountain pens to new users, it's a shame that the Pilot FP 78G is no longer made. But the Pilot Prera doesn't cost that much more, and it's relatively small and light, which I like. I could recommend that one.

I haven't used my Safari or the AL Star for a while, and am no longer confident in my memories of either, but I wouldn't recommend against them. Some people might also recommend the less expensive plastic versions of the Kaweco Sport. I never took to mine that much, but they aren't bad pens for the price. You have to order the pocket clip as an optional accessory.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; October 12th, 2019 at 05:01 AM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

They're both good and reliable writers. I personally prefer the Pilot, because I never really liked the Safari's design (that's just personal taste). That said, in the US, they both take proprietary cartridges and converters (the European version of the Metropolitan - the Pilot MR - takes standard international) and therefore I'd encourage you to look at the entry-level pens by Diplomat and Faber-Castell, because they are very good writers too and you can pop in any standard international cartridges and converters you might have lying around. I think both brands are severely underrated in that market segment.

Thanks

Pilots Metros have a very classy look, but unfortunately I agree they aren't particularly ergonomic. Never got to try a Lamy, but it seems the more ergonomic of the two. Despite the ergonomics of them, I used them all the time for a year and fell in love with them to the point that I thought I had to buy two or three spares. Thus the insanity of fountain pens began. They are at least tolerable, but the main problem is the plastic section doesn't counterbalance the weight of the metal back. So you want to hold it further back, but then there's that step.

If I had to do it over, maybe I'd go with Lamy, but then I'd have bought Lamy converters and I wouldn't have stepped up to the gold nib Pilots which are so, so good. I'd have ended up with a Lamy 2k like every other person in the world.

Thanks

I had both. Sold the Pilots and kept the Lamy Al-Star. Then I bought the Pilot again a few years later. It's only $15. The Al-Star is about the same at Barnes and Noble clearance at the moment.

As you can imagine, the correct answer is "both".