Thread: Cigar Box Run 2013!

Thanks

Default Cigar Box Run 2013!

Is there any interest in cigar boxes? They seem to be the perfect size for storing pens and other stationery supplies.

(Six boxes currently available)
    (One box added on 9 June.
    See post #2)
    (Five boxes added on 11 June.
    See posts #7 and #8 -- images fixed on post #8)

I'm going to visit an immense cigar retailer Monday evening to pick up some empty cigar boxes... if you are interested in any, please PM me:

• What sort of size(s) you're looking for. Starting with interior dimensions are best -- assume 6" long x 2/3" dia. as a conventional maximum size for one fountain pen, although some are larger. I plan on using one of GoPens' slotted trays for my own cigar box; it's a good page for sanity checking your assumptions of what can fit.
    • Preferred box material...
      • Cardboard covered with glossy paper is common, cheap and is the most colorful -- also the easiest to paper over if you want to use your own artwork instead.
      • Particle board is less attractive but is probably the sturdiest.
      • Stained wood is usually the most handsome, a little more delicate.
      • Metal is even more colorful than cardboard, and is usually heavily embossed, too.

• Other box details...
      • Some boxes have hinged lids, some have lids that slide into a slotted groove, a few have fitted canister-style lids.
      • Cigars are usually stored horizontally. Boxes that store them vertically are only occasionally available.
      • No matter how reasonable your request is, it's entirely possible the store won't have it when I check. I'll let you know.

I'll probably get a dozen total boxes on this run; any of the boxes that weren't gotten by request will be made available here.

The boxes will cost me no more than $2 apiece -- shipping these boxes will generally cost more than that -- so instead of treating this like a little money making venture, I'm only interested in trades. Our household always likes trying more inks, and in collecting a range of pen nibs (compatible with Lamy Safari or whatever will work in Noodler's pens, since even our non-Noodler's pens's nibs seem to be interchangeable with them). Let me know what you have to offer and we can discuss.

Now, one more thing to remember: These boxes once held cigars. They spent months and possibly years in a massive cigar humidor. They come out of the store reeking awfully strongly of unsmoked tobacco (which is sweet and kind of pleasant, unlike smoke) -- I try to drive them home with the windows open. Most of the smell will be gone by the time the boxes are shipped, but it will still be noticeable. Keep your boxes outside in the sunlight for a few days (or on a sunny windowsill for longer), and most if not all of the smell will disappear. The smell fades at different rates... while the cedar boxes tend to be the most sophisticated and handsome, they also cling to their tobacco odor the longest. The cardboard box's odor fades the fastest. Metal boxes are likely to come clean after being washed with soap and water.
    However: If anybody in your household has a sensitivity to tobacco (or is trying to quit smoking), you probably should not get these.
    Last edited by ardgedee; June 12th, 2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added update on current availability

Thanks

Default Re: Cigar Box Run 2013!

Here's one box available now for trade:

IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0499.JPG
    This is particle board, spraypainted black. The silver-colored decorations on the outside and inside are printed embossed paper. Seems pretty sturdy. Interior dimensions are 23.5cm wide, 14.7cm front to back, 4.1cm depth. (9 1/4" x 5 3/4" x 1 5/8"). It's really sturdy, but has a rough surface and some dings on the lid and sides that expose the unpainted particle board underneath. There's no latch and the hinge is wood.

The cedar box in the first photo is not available.

Thanks

Got about half a dozen boxes today. I'll have photos and descriptions posted tomorrow.

Thanks

Do you have any small ones for just a pen or two?

Thanks

I haven't seen any that small. Last night there was an attractive compact one about the size of a large gift box for a wristwatch, but it was too small to hold any pen longer than, say, a Pilot Petit. It probably would have been nice for holding ink samples, I guess, but I passed on it.

Unfortunately my timing was bad. I was hoping there would be a good range of boxes, since on Saturday the store was holding a Cigar Fest. One of the clerks said that on Sunday they started with about five dozen boxes but two people had swooped up most of them -- one for their bible school, another for bridal shower gift packages.
    Last edited by ardgedee; June 11th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Thanks

My son in law smokes cigars, asked my daughter if she could ask at the store if they had any cigar boxes.They did and my daughter sent four great boxes to re purpose for pens and other misc. items related.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

The following are for swaps only -- see my first post for what I'm interested in...

IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0581.JPG
    Flor de las Antillas box. Decently sturdy, cedar wood. Good condition. With the florid sticker artwork it's an appealing box, keeping in mind that it's probably intended to look a little rough-hewn. Interior dimensions: 8 7/8" wide x 6 5/8" front-back x 1 1/2" high (22.4cm x 3.6cm x 16.8cm)

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0598.JPG
    Don Tomás box. Cardboard. Lid needs a little coaxing to close properly. Plastic cigar tray (could also work for really fat pens) and bits of ribbon included if you want 'em. Interior dimensions: 7 5/8" wide x 5 3/4" front-back x 3 1/4" high (19.5cm x 14.5cm x 8.1cm)

IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0613.JPG
    Flor Fina box. Solid wood, proper box joint corners and shaped to look like a treasure chest, kinda'. Will need some work to get the random sticker bits off. Interior dimensions: 6 3/8" wide x 3 3/4" front-back x 3 1/2" high (16cm x 9.5cm x 8.8cm)
    Last edited by ardgedee; June 12th, 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Rescaled images

Thanks

Final two boxes for now. For trades only -- see first post.

IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0546.JPG
    Jose Seijas box. As far as I can tell, it's a jewel box repurposed for selling cigars. Surprisingly good quality cedar(?) plywood with jewel box-style hinges on both ends (see third photo). As heavy as a proper jewel box should be. The finish is scratched and has label residue, but there are no gouges or dents. The inner wood lining could probably stand to go, too -- it was glued in sloppily. Nothing a decent hobbyist woodworker would find daunting. Interior dimensions: 7 1/2" wide x 6 3/8" front-back x 2 1/2" high (18.9cm x 16.1cm x 6.3cm)

IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0563.JPG
    Montecristo box. Stamped steel (magnets will stick to it) and ironically competent printed wood pattern. Flocked plastic insert is easy to pull out if you don't want it. Not sure how well it'd do at storing pens, but I imagine it'd be fantastic for storing certain sizes of ink sample bottles, or maybe pencils, conte crayons, charcoal, pastels... Interior dimensions: 9 1/4" wide x 8 1/8" front-back x 1" high (23.7cm x 20.5cm x 2.6cm).

(Edit: Images fixed! Sorry!)
    Last edited by ardgedee; June 12th, 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Replaced broken images

Thanks

Will you ship the box to Hong Kong?
    Thanks.

Thanks

Maybe. International shipping might cost more than the boxes are worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post
    Maybe. International shipping might cost more than the boxes are worth.
    I know the shipping charge will be expensive for overseas.