Thread: Vintage Pilot Elite Trim Ring Removed

Thanks

Default Vintage Pilot Elite Trim Ring Removed

Hello,

I recently purchased a vintage Pilot Elite that I really enjoy, but I didn't realize that the previous owner must have removed the trim ring and did not return it in to place properly. When I remove the back of the pen, the ring falls off. Does anyone know how to put this back in place? I've attached a picture that hopefully clarifies what I mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Pilot Elite Trim Ring Removed

When I'm securing trim rings to plastic section parts I normally use shellac. However, I've never seen this pen so I'm not 100% sure if it needs sticking to the metal part of the grip or onto the end of the plastic barrel. From the shape of the band, I feel it might be the former. You could try it, as it's more easily removable than most adhesives.

If shellac doesn't work and it needs sticking onto the metal part below the screw threads and right next to the section, then you might need a slightly stronger adhesive that takes up the space there seems to be between the two pieces of metal.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

I’d think you remove the connector slide the clutch ring on and reinstall the connector.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I’d think you remove the connector slide the clutch ring on and reinstall the connector.
    I believe this is the case, but I've been trying to remove the connector and it's been very difficult. It seems to be glued, but I really have no idea.

I'm a bit frustrated about this because the pen writes really well and the gap with the loose trim is really bothering me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by georgesromero View Post
    I believe this is the case, but I've been trying to remove the connector and it's been very difficult. It seems to be glued, but I really have no idea.

I'm a bit frustrated about this because the pen writes really well and the gap with the loose trim is really bothering me.
    You might need to heat the connector very carefully. Or if you have a USC give it a couple of zaps in there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by georgesromero View Post

You might need to heat the connector very carefully. Or if you have a USC give it a couple of zaps in there.
    Thank you for the response. Do you have a preferred way to apply heat to the pen? I'm cautious and I want to be sure not to do too much more damage.

Thanks

I tend to very carefully use a hairdryer if I need dry heat, or the USC if I want wet heat and the extra lubrication that the liquid inside it provides into the parts.
    For a plastic pen, soaking it in warm to hottish water plus one drop of dishwashing liquid in a cup might heat up the plastic section enough so that you can unscrew the connector. You will need something grippy, like rubber gloves, so that you can apply enough pressure to unscrew the parts with both hands.

In case you try a hairdryer, the section should never be held still in the heat. You should roll it around and around all of the time. I put one of my fingers at the front of the part I'm heating, in the hot air flow. If my finger gets too hot, then the part will too.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,813 Times in 1,426 Posts

Haha! Seems that you bought your pen from the same seller as I did. My Elite came with exactly the same problem.
    You can screw out the connector using a grip pad or rubber sheet. Then place the clutch ring in the correct position and screw the connector to the section again.
    Good luck!
    C.

PS: I did not use any shellac. Applying heat wasn't necessary either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

georgesromero (October 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    Haha! Seems that you bought your pen from the same seller as I did. My Elite came with exactly the same problem.
    You can screw out the connector using a grip pad or rubber sheet. Then place the clutch ring in the correct position and screw the connector to the section again.
    Good luck!
    C.

PS: I did not use any shellac. Applying heat wasn't necessary either.
    Thank you for your help! I wrapped a rubber band around the connector in order to grip it and it twisted right off. How are you liking the one you ordered?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,813 Times in 1,426 Posts

Actually, I am very happy with the pen(s)...
    They all have excellent nibs.

Pilot Pocket Pens von -C.M.Z-

c.