Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone using the new MB Calligraphy Nib?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Anyone using the new MB Calligraphy Nib?

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Tom View Post
    I was in a Montblanc boutique a few days ago and was told that the 149s with this wonderful nib cannot be found anywhere
    This is very frustrating since in addition to being a fan of Montblanc I also collect and love using pre 1930s Waterman pens, which are known for their great flexible nibs.

When these first came out, I put my name on a list at the Fountain pen Hospital. They were going to notify people when they became available. I never heard from them

So this nib is, for me at least, like the very frustrating "un-obtainium"

Maybe someday before i die, I will get to see one of these pens, but I'm not holding my breath
    At the Montblanc Webshop you can set a E-Mail notification when they become available.
    They become occasionally available for a couple of hours until they are sold out again.
    So you have to be fast when you got the mail notification.
    So I got mine.

I think the demand is much higher than the Production, so your best chance to get one is the Webshop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Pen Tom (April 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Or you can order it from here... I don't know anythinga bout this company, but here goes:
    https://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-119699

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Pen Tom (April 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Thank you very much Pterodactylus and Yazeh. Thats very useful information.
    Its funny, I get the fahrney catalog in the mail and I thought that I looked for the calligraphy nib pen.

Thanks

Is there anyway to keep this thread at top, or in a special place? I"m new here - in some other forums I go to there are "stickies" which putthe thread at the top of the subforum.

Thanks

I "ordered" one from Fahrneys 6 months ago after reading these postings and all I receive are email advertisments from them. No evidence that there really are any for sale.
    I think that MB made a small number of them for whatever reason and that was it. No more to come

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lshines View Post
    Is there anyway to keep this thread at top, or in a special place? I"m new here - in some other forums I go to there are "stickies" which putthe thread at the top of the subforum.
    Just subscribe to the thread (under thread tools at the top of the first post on any page) and you'll get a notification when there's a new post. Stickies are put in place by moderators (on forums that have them) for important information or frequently asked questions and most users have no input on what these might be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Tom View Post
    I "ordered" one from Fahrneys 6 months ago after reading these postings and all I receive are email advertisments from them. No evidence that there really are any for sale.
    I think that MB made a small number of them for whatever reason and that was it. No more to come
    I waited eleven months for mine. I ordered one at the end of May 2020 and received it early May of this year. Have you asked Fahrney’s about your order?

Thanks

Thanks for the words of encouragement guyy. No, have not contacted them. I should do that

Thanks

I called Fahrneys and spoke with someone who sounded knowledgable
    He said that Montblanc has stopped making the 149 Calligraphy pen.

So I guess that I'll scratch that off of my wish list.

Thanks

My largest collection of pens are old Waterman pens from the pre 1930 era.

Many of these have wonderful flexible nibs. Had anyone compared the flex of the MB 149 calligraphy
    with the flex of a 1920s Waterman 7 Pink or Red nib for example?

Or any Waterman with good flex for that matter?

Thanks

If you're seeking for cheap dip pen nibs for writing, this Trustela calligraphy nib set is a fantastic option. It comes with 18 different dip pen nibs in various types and sizes, giving you additional versatility and diversity.
    Last edited by noahenholm; April 28th, 2022 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks

Actually lot of people seems to underrate this "Nib"
    I am sure It has many more characters in a well trained hand.
    This thread proves more to that many other nibs, vintage or antiques or TRUE CALLIGRAPHY DREAM NIBS have their own place as this Mont Blanc Calligraphy has it's own charactors.
    This thread proves that clearly. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...e/36/#comments
    If you are a calligrapher this pen will be great in your hand.

Thanks

I'm happy to report that my 146C, ordered in January, is now on its way to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

I would've liked to test one at my local boutique. Alas, Montblanc closed that boutique, and I won't buy without writing with one first to see if I already own a pen capable of the same result.

Thanks

I adore how these nibs provide an incredibly smooth response while you create copperplate calligraphy. It's fantastic to know that they have a ton of ink capacity and high flexibility. The majority of copperplate calligraphy typefaces that you may imagine fit them.

Thanks

It’s an interesting nib. Ground very fine. Inconsistent worksmanship though. I’ve had issues with flow and the grind being sharp.

MB customer service can be patchy and will almost always charge for repairs I live. But when it writes well, it’s a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I got an email from Fahrney's this morning that purported these pens are available for sale. Is this a scam?

Based on some youtube reviews, I thought that these nibs were supposed to be semi-flex. The add copy from Fahrney's states they are essentially an hebrew-grind nib.

"The curved nib is ground at an angle of approximately 45 degrees, which allows a variety of writing styles and line widths, depending on the angle and the orientation at which the writing instrument is held. Comparable to an architect nib, the curved nib writes a thinner line (width M) when moved vertically, and a wider line (width BB) when moved horizontally. A curved nib is suited for Chinese, Japanese and Korean calligraphy, for sketching and drawing designs, but also to add extra flair to regular handwriting."

This does not sound like what I think of when I think of "calligraphy." YMMV.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
    I got an email from Fahrney's this morning that purported these pens are available for sale. Is this a scam?

Based on some youtube reviews, I thought that these nibs were supposed to be semi-flex. The add copy from Fahrney's states they are essentially an hebrew-grind nib.

"The curved nib is ground at an angle of approximately 45 degrees, which allows a variety of writing styles and line widths, depending on the angle and the orientation at which the writing instrument is held. Comparable to an architect nib, the curved nib writes a thinner line (width M) when moved vertically, and a wider line (width BB) when moved horizontally. A curved nib is suited for Chinese, Japanese and Korean calligraphy, for sketching and drawing designs, but also to add extra flair to regular handwriting."

I looked on Fahrney's site.

It looks like MB has a new 149 "calligraphy" nib - that is a Hebrew/Architect grind. Makes sense, since flex isn't the only style of calligraphy. They could produce a crisp italic and add it to a line of nibs oriented to "calligraphy".

Fahrney's also has the 146 with the flexible calligraphy nib.

Link to Fahrney's "Montblanc Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy Curved Nib Fountain Pen Black Gold Trim"

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 9.35.55 AM.png
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (January 5th, 2023), Chrissy (December 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post

My experience with the 149 Curved Nib Calligraphy nib is that it encourages me to write with more flair.

Writing with the nib inverted gave a faint line, at least with J. Herbin éclat de Saphir ink.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 14th, 2023 at 10:51 AM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 16th, 2023), Prettypenguin (February 14th, 2023)