Thread: Old Weidlich Pen

Thanks

Default Old Weidlich Pen

So my wife found an old "Weidlich pen, Cincinnati Ohio with "2 NIB". She wants me to restore it. Anyone know anything about Weidlich pens? It has an end cap like Sheaffer'slich do and then there is a little brass widget which presumably I need to pull out to fill the pen but it is stuck (of course). Should I attempt to remove the section at this point and try to diagnose how this thing is supposed to work and how I might be able to unstick the plunger?

I've never heard of Weidlich and don't know how to proceed safely. (I'll be in big trouble if I break her pem)

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kelley For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Old Weidlich Pen

Pictures would help us be sure.

I am far from an expert having only restored a dozen pens.

But I suspect this is a lever filler (see pic for example). That means it has a latex sac in the barrel—or, more likely, the petrified remains of one, which prevents the lever being moved.

Best to do some research on replacing the sac in a typical lever filler.

Also don't force the section loose. Either it fairly easily pulls out or it fairly easily unscrews, or it is held in place with shellac.

The problem with shellac is that it has to be heated to a temperature close to that which softens celluloid, the material your pen is probably made of. Doing that procedure safely takes practice. It's the only way I'm aware of because using any of a variety of chemicals can attack the material from which the pen is made.

The pen may also be made of casein or of hard rubber or possibly some other sort of plastic, all of which are chemically and / or structurally delicate in their own unique ways. More research will help to know what things to avoid.

The good news is that the basic procedure of swapping sacs and even pressure bars is dead simple.

So, I wouldn't start by learning on your wife's pen. Of course you can send it off to have it fixed by an expert. But if you are the DIY type and good at fixing things, I suggest picking up a few junk lever filler pens on ebay to practice with.
    Last edited by azkid; October 22nd, 2019 at 08:23 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Steve Kelley (October 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Thank you Azkid. Nice pen you have here! The Weidlich is not a lever fill however, it is some variety of plunger fill which in some way is operated by the little brass thingy inside the rear cap. Since I started this thread, I did remove the section and there were remnants of an old sac but when I look up inside the barrel it's pretty much closed off by some soft black stuff. And unlike the Sheaffer I recently did, this one does not appear to have a metal cage with the sac inside it. At this point I do not know whether the brass thing should move a plunger the length of the barrel or if it just compresses the sac and when released allows the sac to fill. Until I figure out the operating principle with this pen I need to be cautious.

I'm trying to figure out how to do pictures on the forum and will get to that as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Whenever you asked about a vintage pen, especially from brands that are not well-known, always attach a photo or two, that will help anyone to help you.

Weidlich, just like the other pen makers back then, produced a lot of variety of pens, because they have to follow what's trending. So it's impossible to just mention the name Weidlich, and suddenly everyone knows which pen you're talking about.

For example, here's a Weidlich (among several that I have restored through out the years):

But I have also a Weidlich that are black hard rubber like those made in the 1910's.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[IMG]img-2292(1)JPG[/IMG]

So here I hope is a pic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Whenever you asked about a vintage pen, especially from brands that are not well-known, always attach a photo or two, that will help anyone to help you.

Weidlich, just like the other pen makers back then, produced a lot of variety of pens, because they have to follow what's trending. So it's impossible to just mention the name Weidlich, and suddenly everyone knows which pen you're talking about.

For example, here's a Weidlich (among several that I have restored through out the years):

But I have also a Weidlich that are black hard rubber like those made in the 1910's.
    Thanks penwash - I understand and will try to figure all that out later today. Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

If you remove an end cap and find a brass widget that suggests a button filler to me. As others have already stated, a photo is essential.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kelley View Post
    [IMG]img-2292(1)JPG[/IMG]

So here I hope is a pic
    Steve, you have to host the photo somewhere before you can paste it into the Image icon here.

I use flickr, a lot of people have no problems with Imgur. Both are free to use.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

13. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

For some reason I cannot see the image on web browser or tapatalk.

For button fillers, like my 1920s Parker Duofold, a pressure bar is actuated by the brass button on the back.

It's is put together something like this:

Penwash and Deb are vintage pen repair pros, so I defer to their knowledge and wisdom.

One piece button filller pressure bars are readily available. Hanging, two piece pressure bars like those iny Challenger are available.

I'm not sure what else would be inside the pen besides the pressure bar, button, and sac remnants.

Button fillers, at least my Duofolds, are disassembled by pulling out the button first, then the pressure bar, then the unscrewing the section. Install is the reverse. I found that if you try to screw in the section with the pressure bar in place, the sac tends to twist up, talc or no.

Here's a pic from the Parker repair manual reproduced for educational purposes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Some additional information.

Old button filler repair is 20% science, 20% art and 80% luck or experience.

Compare; "Honey I broke the pen you liked" and "Honey, that pen you liked was far too important for me to mess with so I sent it off to a restorer."

Danny Fudge would likely fix the pen so it looks and performs like new for $20.00.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Excellent drawing and explanation, azkid.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 22nd, 2019), Steve Kelley (October 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Azkid! That is exactly what I have here. Button filler. Now I can get to work on it in a day or two. Thanks so much!!!

Thanks

Woo Hoo - thanks to you folks I think I have this figured out. I pulled the petrified sac out with no problem and then it all became obvious. As all of you already know it is a button filler and now with an almost empty barrel I can see that the pressure bar is intact and works smoothly when I press the brass button. So at this point I see no reason why this pen cannot work as it should after a thorough cleaning and a new sac.

Many thanks to all of you; this is an addictive hobby.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Kelley For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 22nd, 2019), countrydirt (October 22nd, 2019), Deb (October 22nd, 2019), jar (October 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I have that same pen! It's a very nicely made one and has a smooth writing rigid fine point, but the clip is almost useless on anything but the thinnest of pockets. Great celluloid!
    David-

So many restoration projects...