Thread: Platinum 3776 -- broken!

Thanks

Default Platinum 3776 -- broken!

Ok....I dropped it. The nib is beyond repair......I threw it already. Feed is broken in two, but, I might be able to superglue it....maybe?

So.....any suggestions as to what nib and feed might work as an acceptable replacement?

For the nib, perhaps some #5 nib?

For the feed, do you think superglue would work? If not, any feeds that would fit?

Thank you!

Mookie

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Platinum 3776 -- broken!

Superglue *never* works for matters like this. I seriously doubt any other feed/nib arrangements will work due to the design of the Platinum section/feed/nib. Best bet would be to look around for the lowest-priced 3776 (if you are in love with your particular barrel/cap) or see if someone has one on the used market that has issues *other than* the nib and feed. In the past I haven't seen people have any luck getting parts from Platinum, and it would likely cost as much as a new pen anyway.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I know nothing about Platinum pens, but there is a black Platinum 3776 with gold M nib for $80 in the classifieds of the other place. That's probably about what Greg Minuskin would charge for repair and shipping of the nib, and you'd still need a feed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I know nothing about Platinum pens, but there is a black Platinum 3776 with gold M nib for $80 in the classifieds of the other place. That's probably about what Greg Minuskin would charge for repair and shipping of the nib, and you'd still need a feed.
    I have two 3776s and they are among my very favourite writers. I paid $115 Can for the Chartres Bleu and $121 for the Bourgogne. Both new. I'd say if the Black one is new it's a decent deal. If it's used it's well overpriced. US$60-$70 would be about right for a used one used if it's in good condition.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    US$60-$70 would be about right for a used one used if it's in good condition.
    $80 is still a fair price for a pen with a gold nib and solid reputation. A well-cared-for 3776 carries no reason to sell it dirt cheap. Not all items depreciate identically, and the market will bear what it will bear.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

$80? Offer $60...split the difference...a deal at $70! Even so, just pay the $80. After all, what's ten bucks these days compared to hunting for another solution?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Never chuck a nib - there's always some apprentice nibmeister would love the chance to work on a gold nib that's messed up. Trying to improve a nib that's good already is nerve-wracking - what happens if you mess it up? - but working on one that's hit the floor is a game you can't lose. You manage to repair it, which is a win, or it stays the way it is, which isn't any worse than it started.

I've done a *lot* of learning on vintage nibs that have crossed and bent tines. Mostly on pens I picked up for very little money precisely because they were messed up.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 9th, 2019), Jon Szanto (November 9th, 2019), KBeezie (November 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Never chuck a nib - there's always some apprentice nibmeister would love the chance to work on a gold nib that's messed up. Trying to improve a nib that's good already is nerve-wracking - what happens if you mess it up? - but working on one that's hit the floor is a game you can't lose. You manage to repair it, which is a win, or it stays the way it is, which isn't any worse than it started.

I've done a *lot* of learning on vintage nibs that have crossed and bent tines. Mostly on pens I picked up for very little money precisely because they were messed up.
    At least, definitely never chuck a hallmarked gold nib. It's worth it's weight in... well.... gold! Even if you don't want to get it repaired or practice repairing it or give it to someone else to practice repairing it, it's worth getting it's cash value depending on the gold price and it's weight. Many jewellers take in scrap gold for which they will give you something near to the gold price at the time.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 10th, 2019 at 03:48 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post

That. Unless they are actually cracked (and sometimes even then) gold nibs can be repaired in the right hands.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Yes, gold is lovely soft stuff - I'm continually surprised when I work it just how soft, compared to other metals.

I suppose that's why it bends so nicely when it hits the floor ;-)