Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Use a Field/Pocket Notebook?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: How Do You Use a Field/Pocket Notebook?

I usually keep my Midori passport in my handbag. I use it for notes, but because I also have the pocket inserts, I always have stamps, and those cards for doctor's appointments in it, too. The notebook I use for notes about books I want to read/buy (esp. when I am in a bookstore or reading BookPage)--I get books from the library rather than buy them. Occasionally I come across a quotation I want to take note of. If I want to vent or something, the notebook is there.

I do carry a Nock Sinclair and put some of their index cards there. Those are mostly to give to others if I need to write something down for them.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I use my notebook to make the important notes during the day. It is one of the best ways to remember everything I have to do and I have already done it. I take it with myself in my bag. Also, think about a waterproof notebook. Sometimes I have a need to write down something when I am on the street and it is rainy. I wonder if such notebooks are working.

Thanks

I make my own traveler's compatible notebooks (11x21 cm) out of Zerkall 145 gsm paper. A bit thinner than the standard and with a soft cover. They fit perfectly in one of the inner pockets of a sport jacket. In the other inner pocket I attach my pen. I use the notebook for small sketches/doodles or notes during the day especially when commuting by train.

Thanks

Thank you to all who have contributed. I continue to record hiking field notes.

Thanks

I have to admit that I haven't used a field note book since I took an Outward Bound course too many years ago. I enjoyed the mental exercise of reflecting upon the activities, challenges and experiences of each day. I think I need to revisit keeping a journal.

Thanks

I used to use them to jot down observations and bits of stolen conversation. Before Covid, that is. Sigh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hwd181 View Post
    I use my notebook to make the important notes during the day. It is one of the best ways to remember everything I have to do and I have already done it. I take it with myself in my bag. Also, think about a waterproof notebook. Sometimes I have a need to write down something when I am on the street and it is rainy. I wonder if such notebooks are working.
    Rite-in-the-Rain seem to be perfect field notebooks. I bought a couple at the military store at Ft Hood when my daughter-in-law was stationed there. Use a pencil, though. The pages have a coating that sheds water, as well as FP ink. Rite-in-the-Rain sells a ballpoint that scraps off coating to lay down a line, but it seemed that most Soldiers used a pencil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hwd181 View Post
    Rite-in-the-Rain seem to be perfect field notebooks. I bought a couple at the military store at Ft Hood when my daughter-in-law was stationed there. Use a pencil, though. The pages have a coating that sheds water, as well as FP ink. Rite-in-the-Rain sells a ballpoint that scraps off coating to lay down a line, but it seemed that most Soldiers used a pencil.
    Soldiers use pencils because they, have been taught to. Pencils will write on almost any surface and in almost any conditions. They can be sharpened with a pocket or other knife, and every soldier has a knife. Pens and mechanical mechanical pencils are more susceptible to breakage and failure. The two most common writing instruments we carried 'in the bush' in my day (1960s & 70s) were lead pencils and grease pencils although many of us usually had a biro for letter writing, etc.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 12th, 2021), Yazeh (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

On my 10 mile loop hike I record the starting time and temp. I record the number of other hikers encountered and on which trail. I record thoughts/observations. I enjoy doing a review of past hikes.

Thanks

I use a Leuchtturm1917 A6 Field Notebook for my Motorcycling as a daily riding log. My mileage for the day, fuel consumed, Maintenance issues if any. I record the days temperature and weather conditions. Any observations that pops out. I keep mine in my tank bag which stays with that bike as I have a few more.
    Cheers,
    VT
    Last edited by VerticalTwin; September 27th, 2020 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks

We have a few pocket notebooks in use at home .
    We buy packs of 5 or ten at a time.
    One is left on kitchen bench to write down weekly shopping list. Misses completes list each week and takes notebook shopping.
    One is for my general use as I get older. You know , to make note about a book author or title or a show you read about and want to watch/ buy later. I’d be lost without it. Its always in my pocket.
    One is to write down a list of to do’s for the boat and cross off when done.
    This does not include the larger notebooks wife records bills ,when due , how much etc.

Thanks

Not so much notebook as sketchbook, stuck in an inside jacket pocket. I started off with a blank moleskine and moved onto whatever cheaper alternatives I could scrounge from TK Maxx's stationery shelves. Currently working through a couple of 90x140 Ecosystem books. I also have a bunch of A6 Seawhite cahiers begging for a nice wee cover to slip into.