Thread: Help to identify vintage Montblancs and ways to restore

Thanks

Default Help to identify vintage Montblancs and ways to restore

Hi everyone!
    I have recently inherited from my elderly relatives some Montblanc vintage pens. There is a Meisterstuck 146 and an unknown to me steel fountain MB pen. There are also parts from some broken MB pens... I would appreciate any help with identifying these guys and ways to "build" new pens on their base (maybe buying the missing parts on ebay and so on). Any tips on how to revive/restore them would be also appreciated... these pens haven't been used for over 30 years, there's dried ink. And the 146 has a tiny crack (visible as a scratch on the photo) - is there any way to fix it?
    Thank you in advance.
    IMG_8443.JPG
    IMG_8442.JPG
    IMG_8438.JPG
    IMG_8435.JPG
    IMG_8433.JPG
    IMG_8437.JPG
    IMG_8432.JPG

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Help to identify vintage Montblancs and ways to restore

The black with the gold crown and Bishops ringband is from a 121. The cap to the left of it should have the model stamped on the ring band, likely 22. The metal is from the SlimLine variations, either a SlimLine, VIP or later. For the 146 send it to MB for a level one service.

the 22 is third from the top and the 121 is fourth from top:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Welcome to FPGeeks.

I think you might need to reduce your picture size as I can't fit many of them on one screen
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    For the 146 send it to MB for a level one service.
    Thank you for your kind answer.
    A couple of things to elaborate on.
    No 146 - I've read about experiences about sending those vintage examples to MB.
    Will Montblanc replace only the damaged parts (closer inspection showed 2 cracks - on the barrel and on the cap)? Or most likely almost the whole pen? I've heard from people getting the brand new pen, being "angry" about loosing the vintage value... but it's cracked anyways, so rather replace it?
    What is the price for such an overhaul from MB in major European countries? Will try to send my pen with a friend to Austria, Germany, Belgium or Switzerland.
    And what is an average price for such a vintage pen?

No 22 - So I have a cap (also with a crack), and part of the barrel with a nib. What are my options - trying to buy a barrel only on ebay and restore the crack on the cap with one of the prominent private enthusiasts? Is it worth it - what would be the value of such a pen and would it be possible to send it to MB for restoration (or they don't produce those anymore?)?

No 121 - Looks like I don't have much options. While I tried to disassemble the cap (which is the only part I have), it cracked and some extra part came out from the inside of the cap... So I need the whole barrel with a nib (haven't seen anything on ebay even in the past auctions) and restoration of the cap. This story seems almost non-viable to me... what would you suggest?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I think you might need to reduce your picture size as I can't fit many of them on one screen
    I would gladly do that. Not sure how to proceed with that... should I edit the original photos and attach them once again?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TataM View Post
    No 146 - I've read about experiences about sending those vintage examples to MB.
    Will Montblanc replace only the damaged parts (closer inspection showed 2 cracks - on the barrel and on the cap)? Or most likely almost the whole pen? I've heard from people getting the brand new pen, being "angry" about loosing the vintage value... but it's cracked anyways, so rather replace it?
    What is the price for such an overhaul from MB in major European countries? Will try to send my pen with a friend to Austria, Germany, Belgium or Switzerland.

No 22 - So I have a cap (also with a crack), and part of the barrel with a nib. What are my options - trying to buy a barrel only on ebay and restore the crack on the cap with one of the prominent private enthusiasts? Is it worth it - what would be the value of such a pen and would it be possible to send it to MB for restoration (or they don't produce those anymore?)?

No 121 - Looks like I don't have much options. While I tried to disassemble the cap (which is the only part I have), it cracked and some extra part came out from the inside of the cap... So I need the whole barrel with a nib (haven't seen anything on ebay even in the past auctions) and restoration of the cap. This story seems almost non-viable to me... what would you suggest?
    Montblanc will assess the damage on your 146 FP and advise you what new parts you need. In order to replace the cracked parts you will need a new cap and barrel at least, and that will be a level 2 service. When providing that service, for that price, Montblanc are prepared to replace everything except for the nib. You can't keep the old cracked barrel because the pen will leak from the crack, and you can't keep the cracked cap because the pen will dry out and possibly leak from the cap. Therefore, if you have a replacement barrel and cap and pay the level 2 service charge, you may as well have a new piston unit, new end cone, new feed and feeder case as they all come within that service for free. At least you will have a brand new pen with that older version of the nib.
    The nib should be OK. However, if the nib is broken then you will have a very expensive level 3 service charge to pay that is the only service to include a replacement nib.

Montblanc can't repair the older pens so you would need to find an independent repairer to fix them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TataM View Post

Your 146 isn't a vintage version, it's from the rebirth of the cigar shape pens. Likely from the 1970s or 1980s. I don't know what current prices are but MB will give you a price before doing any work.

I've never heard of cracks in MB caps or bodies being fixed. The two digit (earlier) and three digit (later) models are generally available but getting harder to find. I would suggest checking with PenBoard.

Thanks

Whether you call it “vintage” or not, there are things about a 1970s/1980s 146 that people may prefer over the current version. The ebonite feed is one example. There’s a difference in weight as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Whether you call it “vintage” or not, there are things about a 1970s/1980s 146 that people may prefer over the current version. The ebonite feed is one example. There’s a difference in weight as well.
    It's true that some users may prefer their 1970's or 1980's 146 FP's over the more modern ones. However, surely in the OP's case, the need to have a working pen that doesn't leak through a cracked barrel or a cracked cap trumps aesthetics? He might prefer to have a serviced pen that is working after a reasonably priced and fairly speedy service time with Montblanc.

Thanks

For the 22 there are parts on eBay. If not penboard.de
    My vintage Montblanc website --> www.vintagemontblancpens.com