Thread: After market stub nibs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default After market stub nibs

Another question from me

Can anyone let me (the rest of us) know what the relative differences are between a Masuyama stub nib and an FPNibs.com stub? Not looking for "this one is better" opinions, just performance differences - line variation, smoothness, flow, that sort of thing.

AA, TIA

Edit: should probably include the SIG nib in this question.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; November 12th, 2019 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: After market stub nibs

I own both "varieties" - Mike M. ground my Visconti HS (Full size) medium nib to a stub several years ago, and it's one of my finest writers. I have (at least) three nibs.com stubs - a Pelikan M600 (med.), a Pelikan M101n (med.) and a Sailor 1911 (Large) (med.). All write quite well - smooth and moderately wet flow - but those are the qualities I specify when ordering custom grinds. Line variation is pretty much - well, "stubby." I am happy with each and every one of these pens.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

amk (November 12th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (November 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Ah, that's a good point. I have had some other grinds from FPNibs, but I only asked for the grind and never thought about specific qualities beyond that. I didn't know you could do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Ah, that's a good point. I have had some other grinds from FPNibs, but I only asked for the grind and never thought about specific qualities beyond that. I didn't know you could do that.
    Yes, you can. You may provide specifics concerning your handwriting (pressure, flow desired and . . . whether you're a lefty and, if so, what type of lefty). Useful for me, as I am a hopeless "overwriter."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (November 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Alert! Stupid question incoming.

How do you know about these things? The pressure, flow and whatnot.

I use virtually no pressure when I write - at least not that I can tell.

Flow - ink goes on the paper. If a pen was drier and the ink was finding it difficult to transition from pen to paper, I may notice. If there was more ink then I would have thought that the writing would simply be messier and broader. How you go about describing that flow is beyond my comprehension (I'm such a noob, even now).

Left/right hand - I am right handed. I don't rotate, and tend to adapt my hand to the pen rather than expecting the pen to conform to my hand. If that makes any sense.

In a nutshell, I pick up a pen and write with it. If it works okay, great. If it doesn't then I don't really spend any time thinking about why, I look for a different pen. I have tons of shortcomings like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,132 Posts

For my own future reference, are you two talking about FPnibs.com or nibs.com? (I have yet to try either.)

I do have a couple of 'stock' Masuyama nibs from Franklin-Christoph — a medium cursive italic and a broad stub. The stub seems wetter and has a bit less line variation, as you might expect.

Thanks

catbert - - I was referring to nibs.com in Los Angeles. I've never dealt with FPnibs.com. When I (mis)read the original post, I "saw" nibs.com.

E_o_C - Pressure/ink flow are matters treated on the nibs.com website. Also, the work order form I downloaded from Mike M's website some years ago allowed one to specify personal preferences. I, too, have a light hand, and I prefer a more generous ink flow: on a 1 to 10 scale (with 1 being really stingy and 10 a "gusher", I ask for a flow of 6-to-7). Granted, there is a bit of subjectivity involved here, but so far I've been lucky, and pleased, with the end product.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 12th, 2019)

Thanks

I understand the scale but do not know how it relates to the actual flow experienced. How is a 'gusher' described in this light? Does it flood the page with ink upon first contact? Sorry, I just have no experience of this. All my nibs have been mostly well-behaved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I understand the scale but do not know how it relates to the actual flow experienced. How is a 'gusher' described in this light? Does it flood the page with ink upon first contact? Sorry, I just have no experience of this. All my nibs have been mostly well-behaved.
    I have a Pelikan 400 with a medium flex-nib that, even without pressure, will put down a line that takes several seconds to dry. If I flex it, the pooling is large enough to have a domed quality and may take up to a minute to actually dry (on clairefontaine). If I use Pelikan or a similarly 'dry' ink, the flow is much more manageable, but still fairly heavy.

As a contrast, I the fine cursive italic from Mr. Masuyama that is very, very dry. Even with inks that are known for shading, I can barely get any color variation out of an ink.

So,

wetter = broader line width (generally), longer dry times, and better for shading/sheen

Dryer = dries faster on the page (good for cheaper paper, generally), no shading/sheen and ink can appear lighter in color unless it is already very saturated.

Hope this helps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (November 13th, 2019)