Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When does "having a few pens" become a collection?

Thanks

Default When does "having a few pens" become a collection?

This is possibly something which has been discussed before, in fact I would be really surprised if it hasn't, so please forgive the mildly naïve question in the title.

Anyway, I have a friend (so many threads could start this way...), this friend has a watch and insists that he doesn't collect them. He has his "good" divers watch, it cost quite a lot of money and so he won't use it when he swims - he has a cheaper divers watch for when he swims. He has a nice dress watch for wearing to special occasions, and a cheaper one for wearing to work. He has a small number of quirky watches from the 1970's, a decade which saw brave design steps in the field. He has a chronograph, he has a digital watch, an Apple watch, a HRM watch for using in the gym, one with a GPS built-in for when he goes mountain biking. He has a gardening watch and another for when he's on his motorbike, which is old, clunky and vibrates a lot. He has a couple of vintage pieces and his dad's old watch plus another from his childhood.

But he's not a collector, oh no, he doesn't have a collection...

His justification is that he uses every one of his watches on a regular basis, therefore they are all tools and none are pure vanity, ergo - it's not a collection.

Yeah, right. He's a collector, he's just in denial.

I recently counted my pens. There are way more than I realised. I appear to have pens which I bought a number of years before I was married, I've been married 27 years next year. I've been using fountain pens since before I left school (I will admit to being the weird kid who wore tweed as a teenager, wrote with a fountain pen, enjoyed maths and knew how computers worked before most people had even used one. I'm certain I was cool, but hey...). I've been buying "reasonable" and "nice" pens for over 30 years - around when I left school.

In the past, I just used the pens, occasionally I would see a pen I liked and I would buy it, usually with blue or black ink, sometimes I used brown. Over the past couple of years, my purchasing frequency has increased, as has the average cost of the pens I've bought. I have more inks in more colours than I ever thought possible and, I will also admit this - I'm accessorising! Jotters, notebooks, pen cases, tools, you name it.

Final confession. My name is Richard. I'm a collector.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 10th, 2018), amk (December 10th, 2018), carlos.q (December 9th, 2018), catbert (December 9th, 2018), Chrissy (December 9th, 2018), Hawk (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: When does "having a few pens" become a collection?

I have a collection but I'm not a "collector" in the way I see the word. In my mind for me to be a "collector" my reasoning for gathering them would be more for mantelpieces, or for some non-practical reason to have them such as they were specifically limited, or I just had to have them etc.

I'm a user with a collection that I try to keep the number down to 12~16, because I do not want to be up in the 30,60,80 range again with pens (there's no sense in it, since I can easily have 4 to 6 pens inked at a time, and will change up rotations seasonally).

I started out being cheap and fast, but around 2016 I just kind of cut it cold and either sold or traded. The goal of course was if I did trade It'd be something like trade 2 pens or more to get one in return. Thus keeping the number low (if one to one) or reduced, so that in the end I'm left with fewer pens that I actually like using frequently.

Feel like indiscriminate "collecting", just whatever because, falls closer to being a hoarder than a collector. My dad is a hoarder, so that's part of my motivation to the behavior of reduction. If I haven't used something in a year or so, it's time to get rid of it, either in trade or sale.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (December 9th, 2018), Robert (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Hmmmm....

I don´t know how many FP’s I really have, my guess would be roughly between 70 and 90, but Iˋm not a collector, Iˋm a user.

I never understood collectors which get their joy and satisfaction only out of owning and starring at a object.
    For me pens are tools, I admire very good tools, I like to use them, I like high quality materials and engineering excellence, but at the end they are just tools.

A pen which I would not use is imho not worth owning it, no matter how valuable or rare it is.
    Most of my pens are vintage pens and I use all of them (from time to time) even some are more than a century old.
    I’m not afraid using them even something could break on such old devices, my joy comes from using my tools not just owning objects.

In the last few years I (almost) stopped buying new (old) tools as I felt that my collection of tools already has almost all kind of nibs, nib cuts, filling systems, materials,.......
    I just have enough FP tools, but I enjoy using them.

When it comes to inks, I feel that this become a little bit out of control as I still buy inks if I see an interesting one.
    I have already more ink than I can realistically consume in a lifetime and still buying new one.

But at least my son really enjoys to have access to so much colors.
    He refuses to write more than 2 converter fills with the same ink (I think he is the only kid in school which does not write with Königsblau (Royal Blue)).

So my Fazit:
    I‘m a FP user and not a collector.
    When it comes to ink I‘m not so sure what I‘m, but personally I still refuse to see me as a collector as everybody knows that these guys are the crazy ones, but don‘t tell them
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; December 9th, 2018 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks

A friend of mine in the hand tool accumulating world came up with a most useful explanation for this situation. It apparently applies to FPs just as readily as to handsaws and chisels:

Not a tool collector; just a user with a wide range of tools from which to choose.

I have a lot of time for those I consider the genuine collectors, the ones who seek the obscure and the complete, because they're the ones who also generate the history and information that can be so interesting and valuable to the user. But I cannot aspire to be one.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

amk (December 10th, 2018), Hawk (December 18th, 2018)

Thanks

I am a user who owns more pens than I can use. I was fascinated by the repair/restoration of flea market pens. A few of my pens are so old (mostly 19th century blow fillers) I won't even try to rehabilitate them. A few are inherited pieces that I will only ink up and take marryin' and buryin' to sign the guest book. The rest are such great writers I can't bear to part with them. This is a slippery slope to a collection.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

It's one thing to be a collector and another to be an accumulator.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 9th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Based on numbers, I have more than enough fountain pens to be called a collection. There are fewer mechanical pencils, and fewer still ballpoints, but still enough for each category to be at least a small collection. Could it be considered hoarding? If I wanted to make space around here, I should look at selling and/or donating a significant number of my books. The writing instruments don't take up that much room.

I don't worry too much about labels. My main reason for quibbling with the term "collector" would be that I don't really have the focus of what I'd call a true collector. I've accumulated a large selection of things that I like. There are other things that I could buy because they are interesting in themselves, but if I buy another fountain pen, it won't be because it fits in with the others, or completes a set.

There's also the point that KBeezie touches on, that collections tend to be partly for display. I'm generally happy to show my fountain pens to anyone who takes an interest, but I don't keep them out to be looked at.

This is off on a tangent, or at least a bit, but perhaps the standard for determining whether you have too many pens would be if you could tell when one went missing. In that context, I sometimes think of Isaac Asimov's short story, "The Acquisitive Chuckle", about an "acquisitor" who hires a detective to find out what has been stolen from him.

LINK
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 10th, 2018), catbert (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Owning any number of objects of a similar nature, and having a collection, are two different things. One may haphazardly or casually accrue a bunch of things, but it isn't until you start putting characteristics, categories, and particular sought-out qualities on the items you purchase, it's just stuff. If you start gathering objects of specific like natures, matching colors, particular brands/models, etc - then it's a collection.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; December 9th, 2018 at 11:18 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 10th, 2018), amk (December 10th, 2018), catbert (December 9th, 2018), Chrissy (December 9th, 2018), Hawk (December 18th, 2018), Kaputnik (December 9th, 2018), penwash (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks

I would say that having a number of pens, no definitive number, you are collecting, whether as an accumulation or whatever else. You have a bunch of pens, it's a collection. You might be collecting them to use or just to enjoy looking at and studying or for your dartboard. It is an amusing game of semantics. You are all trying to narrow the term "collector" down to something like someone who puts them on display only, in trays or under glass and is only interested in owning them. If you write with your bunch, you don't think you are collecting, but I think you are kidding yourself, because collecting has many purposes and forms. If you think of "Collector" in a very negative sense, as some kind of anal retentive, perhaps it would be beneficial to remember that when your pen is broken, it is often the serious collector who provides the information you need to fix it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

although (December 16th, 2018), bluefeathers (December 10th, 2018), catbert (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I don't know why "collector" is often lumped in with "hoarder" which imply some kind of uncontrollable compulsive behavior or greediness.

To me, a collector is someone who build a collection of something. The quality of the collection notwithstanding, the effort and resource spent building the collection are deliberate, planned, and not without sacrifices.

I am a collector, I collect vintage cameras and I collect vintage pens. Though I am not a good collector because I've seen the quality of collection from people whom I thought are much better collector, but I enjoy the building of the collection as well as the showcasing of the collection.

The other related divisive opinion that I dislike is the notion that collectors don't use their pens. I use my pens all the time, go to my instagram feed if you require a proof. There is zero reason that we can't use our pens and enjoy collecting them at the same time.

And by the way, without these "collectors" (in general not just pens), our museums will be empty. I'm pretty sure none of us relish that thought.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (December 10th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I would say that having a number of pens, no definitive number, you are collecting, whether as an accumulation or whatever else. You have a bunch of pens, it's a collection. You might be collecting them to use or just to enjoy looking at and studying or for your dartboard. It is an amusing game of semantics. You are all trying to narrow the term "collector" down to something like someone who puts them on display only, in trays or under glass and is only interested in owning them. If you write with your bunch, you don't think you are collecting, but I think you are kidding yourself, because collecting has many purposes and forms. If you think of "Collector" in a very negative sense, as some kind of anal retentive, perhaps it would be beneficial to remember that when your pen is broken, it is often the serious collector who provides the information you need to fix it.
    I don't agree. Anyone, without any knowledge or direction, can accumulate a lot of something. It is a collector who does so with intent, research, specific interests and purpose. It is those sets of objects that I consider a collection. "I have a lot of pens" is simply that, but a collection, as put together by a collector, is done with care and purpose.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (December 10th, 2018), penwash (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I'm not sure what else I would call my pile of pens but a collection.

The real question for me: Do I have a problem?

I have a tendency to collect and hoard like my dad did. Thanks to my wife I am at least more self aware and more able to let things go now.

I had a dozen typewriters for awhile. I never used any of them and they took up too much space. I am down to two. I collected vintage audio gear but pared down after it got stupid. My watches and pens take up a lot less space, at least.

I got into fountain pens because I like using them. So if a pen is uncomfortable or doesn't write nicely it has to go. I add brands and models to try them out. Some work out very well (Duofold) some don't (Safari).

Ink: I don't write enough for all the ink I have but it is fun to try different inks. So I have decided to stick to samples and stick to bottles I use regularly and sell what I don't. I have black inks for most of my pens for work. And a limited palette for fun.

I have a few pens, inks, and watches I should move along at this point.

For me, personally, knowing my tendencies, anything beyond 1 or 2 is a collection.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

penwash (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks

I collect Retro 51 Tornados. I probably have 65+ at the moment. I dont write with them, so I truly am a collector of those.

As far as fountain pens, I have 8-12 nice ones (over $100) and about the same number of more affordable fountain pens. I enjoy them and always have 3-4 inked up at any given time. I rotate through them in no particular order as they run out of ink.

I'm not sure if I'm a "collector" or if I just have some nice pens. I mean, am I collector of pants or shoes or shirts? I've got a dozen or two of each that I use for different reasons.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaoDavi For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 18th, 2018), azkid (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks

interesting points raised - what defines a collector? What defines a collection? I think having multiple items fulfilling the same role used to be my measure, but it is definitely more refined than that - as SaoDavi states above, he has multiple shirts, all doing the same basic thing, but he's not a shirt collector, he has many iterations of a particular type of pen, that is a collection, by any measure.

Maybe one factor should be if multiples are required - you couldn't get by with just one pair of socks for instance, but a single watch, camera, pen or snake would suffice. The other thing would be usage - do you use all of your pens (cameras, snakes...) or simply own them for the joy of ownership? The other thing is the difference between the user, collector and hoarder - do I use all of them? Am I able to sell the ones I don't use?

There's a lot more to this than I first thought - thank you to everyone who has raised a point, it's an interesting difference between the watch- and pen-worlds - most, but by no means all of the responses here are from people who don't think of themselves as collectors, but do have multiple items which would all fulfil the same basic operation. The watch forums I frequent are mainly peopled by people who absolutely consider themselves to be collectors. I don't think that there are that many basic differences between the two worlds, but I do find that difference in mind-set fascinating.

BTW, there's no criticism or judgement implied here, completely the opposite, but I think it is interesting that this basic difference in mind-set exists.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DickBrowne For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 9th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 9th, 2018), Pterodactylus (December 9th, 2018), SaoDavi (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DickBrowne View Post
    ...but a single watch, camera, pen or snake would suffice.
    Not if you want more snakes, it wouldn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

This reminds me of author Donna Tartt making the distinction between the "Classical Mind" and the "Modern Mind".

I believe a true collector curates his pens (or snakes) with surgical intent and resembles the Classical Mind which she describes as "relentless, unhesitating, and focussed".

The group of pens I own have no coherence whatever outside of my own fancy and is clearly put together by a "Modern Mind", that is to say by a "whimsical and discursive mind".
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

amk (December 10th, 2018), azkid (December 10th, 2018), catbert (December 9th, 2018), Jon Szanto (December 9th, 2018), Kaputnik (December 10th, 2018), penwash (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

A subset of my accumulation became an accidental collection. In trying to get one nice example of a particular pen I ended up with some interesting variants, then started looking for more.

The rest of the hoard lacks the necessary intention, focus, and pursuit of completeness to be a true collection. It’s just a bunch of pens I like.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks

I think you can be both collector and hoarder, both collector and user, at the same time. Different degrees. It depends, a bit, which 'hat' you're wearing at the time.

As a writer I do use many of my pens. I use italic nibs for calligraphy, I'm learning copperplate and learning to flex. As a collector I am interested in pen history and development so have various models and types of pen that I pay more attention to than others. And as a hoarder... sometimes I just find it hard to get rid of pens. I probably should trim my collection down. But there's always something else more fun to do... like buying a new pen. Oops.

But I'm also a term that hasn't come into this discussion yet, a TINKERER. Lots of vintage pens, and a few modern ones, are waiting for me to fix their war wounds - little cracks, new sacs, that kind of thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Although I would never cite Google as the perfect definition, I decided to have a look at their dictionary definition of a collection.
    A collection (noun) is "a group of accumulated items of a particular kind."

I have a group of accumulated fountain pens in various forms, therefore I must consider that they are a collection. It was always my intention to have more than one fountain pen, in fact it was probably always my intention to have more than ten fountain pens. Therefore, it was my intention to form a collection of fountain pens.

Some I use, and some I don't use. I don't collect any pens that I'm keeping unused, in the hope that they will sell for more than I paid for them, but have some that need to be sold because I don't use them. I'm getting older and the collection therefore needs to be seriously trimmed down. I have no particular emotional attachment to any "inanimate object," so any of them could go at a time that I decide to sell them.

By the same token I must also have a collection of bottles of ink. I have certainly accumulated lots of those. In fact it's safe to say that I could never use as much ink as there is in those bottles during my lifetime.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

amk (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    By the same token I must also have a collection of bottles of ink. I have certainly accumulated lots of those. In fact it's safe to say that I could never use as much ink as there is in those bottles during my lifetime.
    You have, therefore, made quite a few SABLE purchases. Something to consider in regards with this entire thread.

~ Benjamin Franklin

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 10th, 2018)