Thread: Danitrio Mikado flow issue

Thanks

Default Danitrio Mikado flow issue

I have a Dantrio Mikado in Medium nib.
    This pen has flow issues, nib dries out after half page writing (A4) and starts to write again after a gentle shake.
    I have cleaned pen multiple times and also flushed feed but problem still persists.
    Nib and feed seems to be aligned.

Please tell me what to do next.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Danitrio Mikado flow issue

Thanks

Have you tried flushing ur pen with 90% distilled water, 10% Amonia, non bubbling kind, and a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing soap. Mix in a container for future uses! Run the mixture thru the pen vs plain water. This equals Pen Flush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I had the Densho at one time. Being an ED with that shut off valve, the website does(or used to)mention that you need to keep the valve open just a bit during use instead of tightening it all the way. If you tighten it down all the way you are limited to the ink that is in the feed. Then you have to open it again to let the feed resaturate. As much as I used to use ammonia and water for cleaning pens I have stopped. I learned it can make gold brittle over time. Not a good things for nibs...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I can't seem to find anything about ammonia and gold except recommendations to use it for cleaning jewelry (including by a jewelery company).

However, I recently read in an old FPN thread about sac failures that ammonia (10%) is one of the many substances that plays poorly with latex*. So I'm done with that stuff for vintage pens.

* https://www.coleparmer.com/chemical-resistance

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I can't seem to find anything about ammonia and gold except recommendations to use it for cleaning jewelry (including by a jewelery company).

However, I recently read in an old FPN thread about sac failures that ammonia (10%) is one of the many substances that plays poorly with latex*. So I'm done with that stuff for vintage pens.

* https://www.coleparmer.com/chemical-resistance
    David Nishumura discusses the subject on his website and it's been discussed several times in the Fountain Pen Network group as well as the Fountain Pens group owned by David Isaacson.

There is a pen flush that I think is now on the market that is completely organic and won't harm gold at all. I'll see if I can find the info and post it here later.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

ms8109 (August 30th, 2020)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

"Diluted ammonia (one part household ammonia in ten parts water is often recommended) is very effective at removing dried ink, but avoid using it on nibs. The process may take years, but there is strong evidence that ammonia can slowly and irreversibly embrittle 14K gold by attacking the base metals of the alloy (18K gold is largely immune). Prolonged soaking - anything over a minute or two - is particularly problematic. Stronger solutions, higher temperatures, and failure to thoroughly rinse with water after ammonia exposure will all add to the risk. Use of ammonia in an ultrasonic may also accelerate the corrosion reaction."

https://www.vintagepens.com/pen_repair_donts.htm

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Mar Hoover from https://www.lbepen.com/ who invented a hard rubber deoxidizer that I swear by has also invented a noninvasive pen flush which will be available on his website in the future. It is made so that you can use it over and over again, too and is safe for all pen materials with the exception of possibly casein as you don't want to get that wet.

I have a bottle of it and will be using it and reviewing it soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

ms8109 (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    "Diluted ammonia (one part household ammonia in ten parts water is often recommended) is very effective at removing dried ink, but avoid using it on nibs. The process may take years, but there is strong evidence that ammonia can slowly and irreversibly embrittle 14K gold by attacking the base metals of the alloy (18K gold is largely immune). Prolonged soaking - anything over a minute or two - is particularly problematic. Stronger solutions, higher temperatures, and failure to thoroughly rinse with water after ammonia exposure will all add to the risk. Use of ammonia in an ultrasonic may also accelerate the corrosion reaction."

https://www.vintagepens.com/pen_repair_donts.htm
    What exactly is the hard evidence? Anecdotal is pretty soft.