Thread: Mixing inks

Thanks

Default Mixing inks

I was bored this afternoon so I decided to mix some inks. I wanted to keep like brands together. I have a lot of noodlers and Birmingham inks. I mixed some noodlers together and some Birmingham together. I came out with a beautiful orange with the Birmingham. With the noodlers, I'm certain I only made existing colors.

It was fun.

Does anyone else mix colors? I'd like to hear any formulas you might have.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Mixing inks

Thought about it but haven't tried it. Was thinking of buying the De Atramentis inks but seemed extravagant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I have mixed a little bit. I have one that I call Namiki Midway Blue because it's Noodler's Midway Blue and Namiki Blue. I had a lot of Namiki Blue on hand at one time and some Midway Blue, and I thought to use the Midway Blue to shift the color of the Namiki Blue to something I liked better and also maybe not dry quite so much paler than it goes down. It worked well. I made a lot and still have quite a bit of it left, still shelf stable after several years. I've also tried some mixes that bubbled and dropped a precipitate, even in the same brand. Sometimes it takes a few hours for that to happen. Standard advice is to mix in a sample vial and let stand for 24 hours. Like a lot of good advice, it adds tedium.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I recently bought some Sailor Manyo Haha. As it's far too light to write with I'm definitely going to need to mix in something to make it legible on writing paper.
    It might be designed for sketching and using as a wash for an almost grey wintry sky but it's no use for writing with.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens