Thread: 1920's Parker DuoFold Overhaul

Thanks

Default 1920's Parker DuoFold Overhaul

Hi, I am getting ready, for the 1st time, to do a button filler overhaul, on a 1920's Parker Duofold Red Hard Rubber Fountain Pen. I have never done a button filler of any kind in the past and would appreciate any and all comments to help me with this repair. I am not ignorant to pen repairs as I have done 5 snorkels recently, as well as some Parker Vac's and the mundan lever filler's. Thanks for any help,
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: 1920's Parker DuoFold Overhaul

Hi,

Duofolds are great pens, and they're pretty simple to restore. The restoration is almost exactly like the lever filler...scrape off old sac, glue new one in (hopefully a silicone one), let dry for 30 minutes, then you're ready to go. If you know how to restore lever fillers than you know how to restore a Duofold. The section screws in to the barrel, and will most likely need heat applied to get the threads unstuck. The cap of the Duofold is easy to clean as well: the black top cap unscrews and so you can wash the inner cap(which is attached to the cap top) and clean the whole cap very easily when you need to. It also allows you to easily fix a sprung clip. The nib and feed are press fit in, so if necessary, you might need to knock the nib assembly out.

Hope that helped a little!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Done deal! I fixed 1 1/2 so far today! I have another 6 or so to go ....Thanks for the help......Both of the ones I tackled today were the Parker 1920's Red Hard Rubber versions....
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Town View Post
    Done deal! I fixed 1 1/2 so far today! I have another 6 or so to go ....Thanks for the help......Both of the ones I tackled today were the Parker 1920's Red Hard Rubber versions....
    You're welcome! Maybe you could post a picture once the jobs are done!
    Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Duofolds are great pens, and they're pretty simple to restore. The restoration is almost exactly like the lever filler...scrape off old sac, glue new one in (hopefully a silicone one), let dry for 30 minutes, then you're ready to go. If you know how to restore lever fillers than you know how to restore a Duofold.
    Not so. To properly restore the filler on a Duofold or similar pen, the pressure bar must be removed and reinstalled so that there is no risk of the sac catching on it and becoming twisted as the section is screwed back in after re-sacing. To accomplish this, the button needs to be pulled so that the pressure bar can be slid back into place from the rear of the barrel after the section is screwed in, and then the button is snapped back in. If the feed has its Lucky Curve intact, the pressure bar should be installed on the opposite side from where the feed contacts the interior wall of the sac per Parker's instructions.

--Daniel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Duofolds are great pens, and they're pretty simple to restore. The restoration is almost exactly like the lever filler...scrape off old sac, glue new one in (hopefully a silicone one), let dry for 30 minutes, then you're ready to go. If you know how to restore lever fillers than you know how to restore a Duofold.
    Not so. To properly restore the filler on a Duofold or similar pen, the pressure bar must be removed and reinstalled so that there is no risk of the sac catching on it and becoming twisted as the section is screwed back in after re-sacing. To accomplish this, the button needs to be pulled so that the pressure bar can be slid back into place from the rear of the barrel after the section is screwed in, and then the button is snapped back in. If the feed has its Lucky Curve intact, the pressure bar should be installed on the opposite side from where the feed contacts the interior wall of the sac per Parker's instruction
    --Daniel
    Yeah...I knew that...I forgot to include it.
    Will

Thanks

Here are pictures. From my 1920's Parker DuoFold overhaul!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Thanks

Note that Duofold does not have an upper-case 'F'.

--Daniel