Thread: The dreaded S.I.T.B.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,438 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default The dreaded S.I.T.B.

After well over two decades of pens and ink, it was my turn to face the dreaded S.I.T.B. (Slime In The Bottle), or snot. I believe Richard Binder bestowed that name upon it. http://www.richardspens.com/ref/care/inks.htm and http://www.richardspens.com/ref/ttp/ick.htm

That's ink that acts more like slime than ink. I started to write a letter with my BCHR Conklin 40 crescent-filler, but the Aurora black ink just sort of gushed out of the feed at its own pace and direction. I had a Conklin 4NL partially filled with the same ink from the same bottle, but it was worse, with ink like thin black snot - strands stretching from nib to paper as I lifted the pen. I keep a list of which ink is in what pen (16 inked), and found that my Sheaffer Valiant Vac-Fill was also filled with the same ink. <sigh!>

I called an expert for advice, and was told to buy and throughly flush all with Shacklee Basic G Germacide. That's been ordered.

Meanwhile, I completely disassembled the two Conklins. I separately washed all their parts in flush solution and separately rinsed. I could see black clumps swimming in the bottom of the flushing solution. Then I separately flushed and rinsed the Valiant and I saw no clumps! I dried and placed the three pens in the sunthe two Conklins in parts. Alas, I binned the two recently installed sacs.

The suspect bottle was almost full of Aurora black, but a couple weeks ago I added about 10ml of Aurora black from a plastic bottle I found in a drawer. That was the same time that I filled the two Conklins. The Valiant had been filled at least a month before, perhaps even longer (those Vac-Fills hold a lot of ink). So I believe that 10ml of Aurora black was to blame for contaminating the Conklins.

When the Basic G arrives, all three pens will get the treatment. And yes, the full bottle of Aurora black was binned as well.
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 22nd, 2019 at 06:15 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

although (December 18th, 2019), damfino (January 18th, 2022), fountainpagan (December 19th, 2019), Jon Szanto (November 22nd, 2019)