Thread: Parker Lucky Curve -- such a nice pen that I need to post about it!

Thanks

Default Parker Lucky Curve -- such a nice pen that I need to post about it!

I bought this pen in a cheap ebay batch where I was eyeing an Esterbrook that justified the price of the lot....the Esterbrook is okay but this Parker Duofold Lucky curve is divine! What a smooth writing nib! Wow! It took me about 50 attempts to get the pressure bar in place -- I finally used a thin piece of plastic to guide it in.

IMG_1800.JPG
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

amk (November 27th, 2019), FredRydr (November 25th, 2019), gbryal (November 26th, 2019), Jon Szanto (November 30th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (November 28th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Parker Lucky Curve -- such a nice pen that I need to post about it!

Nice! I am also a fan. My Lucky Curve (not a duofold) writes uncommonly smoothly as well and has impressed those who have tried it. Such great luck to get two great pens out of a lot. Which Esterbrook?
    Last edited by azkid; November 28th, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks

Patience is sometimes well rewarded! I love those old Duofolds, they are really reliable, nice pens.

Thanks

Congratulations, jbb! Those 1920s senior Duofolds are my favorite pre-WWII fountain pens. I agree with you & the other posters that their nibs are exceptional writers. Hard to imagine that your fountain pen is 93 years old or a bit younger, since the green plastic dates from 1926. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

jbb (November 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Congratulations, jbb! Those 1920s senior Duofolds are my favorite pre-WWII fountain pens. I agree with you & the other posters that their nibs are exceptional writers. Hard to imagine that your fountain pen is 93 years old or a bit younger, since the green plastic dates from 1926. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
    Wow!!! Thanks for telling me that. I didn't know it was that old. Part of the imprint is: "USA PAT 4 - 25 - 11." Do you know if that a patent number or a date?
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That's a date; 1911. But the pen would be manufactured later.

The first year of Jade permanite (plastic) pens weren't stamped "Duofold", just Lucky Curve. They're called "Black-Tipped Jade". I have a Junior size example. The next year they put the Duofold name on.

I find the Duofold Juniors to be a perfect pocket size. (I also have one in red)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

jbb (November 29th, 2019)

Thanks

Hello again,

In 1926, Parker was not certain the new green plastic Permanite was a stable material. Because the Duofold was the flagship model, Parker did risk associating it with an untested (long term) pen material. As askid wrote above, the first year models are marked "Lucky Curve." I also have one marked "Parker," so there were at least two pre-Duofold markings. In 1927, and later, there were an additional two (at least) markings. I have one marked "Duofold" and another marked "Duofold" and beneath that "Lucky Curve." All of mine are on senior size barrels in various stages of color deterioration.

I tried taking photos of the four barrels, but the imprints just did not show up well at all in the shots. I tried different light, but only the Duofold/Lucky Curve was visible, and that not very well. Will attach only that one. Sorry.

My source is the comprehensive Shepherd-Zazove Duofold book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 1st, 2019), jbb (December 1st, 2019), Jon Szanto (November 30th, 2019)