Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheaffer school pen converters

Thanks

Default Sheaffer school pen converters

I have a Sheaffer school pen from the 60s I think. I really like using this pen and I’m getting tired of refilling one cartridge until it gets so loose it falls off into the barrel and makes a mess then hoping I can find another laying around. The barrel is so short I don’t think a modern piston converter will fit. Does anyone know if it’s possible to obtain a squeeze converter for a Sheaffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer school pen converters

If your cartridge is the regular size version, then you should be able to find a Sheaffer squeeze converter on ebay. It usually becomes a bit more expensive a proposition if your cartridge is the slimline version, as slimline squeeze converters tend to be expensive and less frequently available.

Peyton Street Pens had some Sheaffer slimline converters for $30 each last time I looked, so fingers crossed you need a standard version.

I think the current twist converter might even fit too.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 30th, 2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Also the modern Sheaffer twist converter will usually fit. Also look for one of the Sheaffer converters for the Intrigues.
    Last edited by jar; November 30th, 2019 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

You could try either Peyton Street Pens or Pendemonium to see if they have any squeeze converters. There isn't a guarantee - I just tried one in what I *think* is an identical pen and it fits, but the squeeze converters are about 3/8" longer than a cartridge, although there is a taper at the end. Do know that Sheaffer carts are still being made and they still fit these pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Sheaffer school pen converters

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Do know that Sheaffer carts are still being made and they still fit these pens.
    Yes but I like Diamine ancient copper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonDawn View Post
    That's not a problem. A lot of us use a syringe with a blunt needle to refill ink cartridges with their favorite color of ink.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    That's not a problem. A lot of us use a syringe with a blunt needle to refill ink cartridges with their favorite color of ink.
    That’s what I’m doing. But the cartridges have a tendency to get loose and fall down into the barrel. Then feed runs dry and I end up trying to shake the cartridge out and splattering ink all over, failing and switching to a ball point until I get home and can retrieve the cartridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonDawn View Post
    It never occurred to me that you could get blunt needles. I just went into a pharmacy and asked for the largest gauge hyperdeemic nerdle that they had. Probably thought I was a junkie!

Thanks

Does anyone have a Sheaffer converter they could measure for me? Thanks

Thanks

I do: 59.5 mm long and a hair under 7 mm in diameter. My Sheaffer pens that take squeeze converters (Targa and Connaisseur) won't take twist ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stands on Feet View Post
    I do: 59.5 mm long and a hair under 7 mm in diameter. My Sheaffer pens that take squeeze converters (Targa and Connaisseur) won't take twist ones.
    My Classic sized Targas all have modern Sheaffer twist converters inside them. They won't fit into Slimline Targas though.

OP if your Sheaffer school pen uses a Classic sized cartridge (insert either end) then it might accept a Sheaffer twist converter. If it's not slimline it will depend on the barrel length available.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 4th, 2022 at 12:44 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (December 6th, 2019)

Thanks

I bought a small box of the 6 cartridge boxes of this ink back in the ‘90’s and my wife was furious. There is no way you will use all that ink. Truth be told instead of having 12 or 15 cartridges left today I would have run out a decade ago if I didn’t have 10 other pens inked at a time and using piston converter pens. I think the cartridges were a good idea I should have bought two boxes way back as the ink has evaporated some over the decades but still works fine and with a syringe and a drop or two of tap water reconstitutes just fine. I keep the cartridges for just the old $4 school pen to be honest. I dont have any extra squeeze converters. Anderson Pens found me my last squeeze converter and Targa steel pen.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Thanks, Chrissy. I've been labouring under the misconception that my Targa wouldn't take a twist converter. It's very good news that it will. The Connaisseur, on the other hand, has too short a chamber to hold one and has to use the squeeze-type. Both pens, as far as I know, take Classic cartridges.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stands on Feet View Post
    Thanks, Chrissy. I've been labouring under the misconception that my Targa wouldn't take a twist converter. It's very good news that it will. The Connaisseur, on the other hand, has too short a chamber to hold one and has to use the squeeze-type. Both pens, as far as I know, take Classic cartridges.
    I don't have a Connoisseur so I didn't know whether that would accept a twist converter or not. My Legacy Mk1 doesn't accept a twist action converter either, but it probably would do so if I could permanently get the tube out of the blind cap.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your experience. I remember in college I had my lucky pen, but even that didn't help me to prepare quality written assignments and, most importantly, to do it on time. I turned to the cheapest dissertation writing services and really regretted not doing it sooner. For a loyal price, I received high-quality written paper and high marks.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; June 5th, 2022 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

Diamine does make cartridges, and while I have never tried it with theirs, I have sometimes used the standard international carts in a Sheaffer school pen by making a hold right dab in the middle of the back end of the cartridge with a thumbtack or the pointy end of a cuphook. I have seen carts with thick ends this probably wouldn't work on, but all the generic standard carts I have tried it with were fine.

The carts do eventually get loose at the hole and slip off but if you are careful you can use them a number of times first - if you know you can get more Sheaffer carts whenever you need one, that might also make a difference in reusing the ones you have.

Thanks

I bought a Sheaffer squeeze converter from Teri at Peyton Street for my pens that take regular Sheaffer cartridges. The TRZ I bought from her came with a Kaweco mini converter and that pen takes the slim cartridges. My Reaktor school pen takes international cartridges.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prettypenguin View Post
    I bought a Sheaffer squeeze converter from Teri at Peyton Street for my pens that take regular Sheaffer cartridges. The TRZ I bought from her came with a Kaweco mini converter and that pen takes the slim cartridges. My Reaktor school pen takes international cartridges.
    I had one of those! In orange.

And I have so many Sheaffer carts I will never run out, but, just for kicks, I tried an emply standard international with the pierced part fitted to the piercing post of the pen. It worked. Just in case, I fitted a spring into the barrel to hold it further.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

The Kaweco Mini Fountain Pen Converter works for my 1980s Sheaffer school pen. I'm convinced, but haven't proven, that it would fit your 60's pen. It's $6 US at JetPens. The ink capacity is small, 0.5 ml.
    Kaweco Converter.jpg
    Last edited by Niner; June 3rd, 2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added photo

Thanks

Did you ever try a Sheaffer twist converter in that pen? The barrel seems to look OK for one