Thread: Hello from Toronto/Canada

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Hello from Toronto/Canada

I actually learnt how to write as a wee child using a fountain pen (well, pencil first, then graduated to fountain pens...you guys know how that works right?). But at some point between grade 6 and 9, I stopped using fountain pens altogether, moved my font style to more of a block script to accommodate a ballpoint.

I actually re-discovered fountain pens entirely on "accident" (few weeks ago, actually)...long story short: Due to practical reasons I got into straight razors a little bit ago. An appreciation for well made long lasting replacements for everyday items left me searching for replacements for all of mine: Headphones, Wallet, Bag...and soon a "Everyday Journal" cover, I used to carry a moleskine around but stopped because I couldn't find a good way to also carry a pen, but a leather cover/holder with a pen slot is a perfect option. And, when I started looking for pens to fit that old style vibe, it was only natural that I would eventually land on fountain pens (Wet Shaving forums have a lot of people who are also into Fountain pens).

I now have 3 Fountain Pens:

1. Kaweco Liliput (EF): This was my first buy, just because of the small size, I didn't know at the time, the leather cover I was going to get, or how big a pen it would fit. I like the small size and just LOVE the looks (depending on the situation), but I go through an insane amount of ink in a day (if you can't tell by now, I tend to ramble on, and on) and as much as I like the mess free-ness of cartridges, it's too much of a hassle. BUt really, I can put this pen in my change pocket and just not worry about it.
    2. F-C Ambition Pearwood (M): I actually bought this as more or less an "impulse" buy, as I got a good price on it. The moment I wrote with the nib, I fell in LOVE with the smoothness of it. Yes, i know it doesn't have a section, kinda...but doesn't bother me. Holding it by the wood is perfectly fine by me. Did I mention how AMAZING the nib is? OMG!! I'm writing all the time now...i can't stop writing.
    3. GvFC Classic Sterling Silver (F): Today is my birthday, I actually planned this one for a while, to be honest...didn't go through with it cuz nothing local I could reach had the pen. Finally one place did, and so I ended up getting it on my birthday. The silver, just WOW, so fancy. I got the Fine nib for this one, in the store I tried out the exact one I was going to buy, and the Fine nib was thick and smooth enough, in fact it felt SMOOTHER than Ambition (People say that, but I honestly wasn't expecting it). Feels SOLID, Weighty and actually like the entire thing is gonna last 100s of years. Question though: I write on Leuchtturm and Rhodia books and now, somehow it's a bit "sing"-y, in the store it was smoother than butter...what happened? Now, whether singing is good or bad is a personal preference, ofc, but my question is - what does a singing nib MEAN for the nib itself? Like, you know how a scratchy nib would mean it's not aligned or tuned correctly? (which a negative thing)

All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my GvFC Sterling, still makes me write more than I need to, I just cannot stop writing! MY handwriting is, ofc, TERRIBAD. I've finally re-figured out how I want to do each of the letters..but it's gonna be a LONG way to get to my goal (and new years resolution) now: To get to a point where someone will look at my handwriting and go "wow, that's so pretty!" Looking forward to all the forum fun!
    Last edited by Tjphysicist; November 30th, 2019 at 10:45 PM.