Thread: Hello from Toronto/Canada

Thanks

Default Hello from Toronto/Canada

I actually learnt how to write as a wee child using a fountain pen (well, pencil first, then graduated to fountain pens...you guys know how that works right?). But at some point between grade 6 and 9, I stopped using fountain pens altogether, moved my font style to more of a block script to accommodate a ballpoint.

I actually re-discovered fountain pens entirely on "accident" (few weeks ago, actually)...long story short: Due to practical reasons I got into straight razors a little bit ago. An appreciation for well made long lasting replacements for everyday items left me searching for replacements for all of mine: Headphones, Wallet, Bag...and soon a "Everyday Journal" cover, I used to carry a moleskine around but stopped because I couldn't find a good way to also carry a pen, but a leather cover/holder with a pen slot is a perfect option. And, when I started looking for pens to fit that old style vibe, it was only natural that I would eventually land on fountain pens (Wet Shaving forums have a lot of people who are also into Fountain pens).

I now have 3 Fountain Pens:

1. Kaweco Liliput (EF): This was my first buy, just because of the small size, I didn't know at the time, the leather cover I was going to get, or how big a pen it would fit. I like the small size and just LOVE the looks (depending on the situation), but I go through an insane amount of ink in a day (if you can't tell by now, I tend to ramble on, and on) and as much as I like the mess free-ness of cartridges, it's too much of a hassle. BUt really, I can put this pen in my change pocket and just not worry about it.
    2. F-C Ambition Pearwood (M): I actually bought this as more or less an "impulse" buy, as I got a good price on it. The moment I wrote with the nib, I fell in LOVE with the smoothness of it. Yes, i know it doesn't have a section, kinda...but doesn't bother me. Holding it by the wood is perfectly fine by me. Did I mention how AMAZING the nib is? OMG!! I'm writing all the time now...i can't stop writing.
    3. GvFC Classic Sterling Silver (F): Today is my birthday, I actually planned this one for a while, to be honest...didn't go through with it cuz nothing local I could reach had the pen. Finally one place did, and so I ended up getting it on my birthday. The silver, just WOW, so fancy. I got the Fine nib for this one, in the store I tried out the exact one I was going to buy, and the Fine nib was thick and smooth enough, in fact it felt SMOOTHER than Ambition (People say that, but I honestly wasn't expecting it). Feels SOLID, Weighty and actually like the entire thing is gonna last 100s of years. Question though: I write on Leuchtturm and Rhodia books and now, somehow it's a bit "sing"-y, in the store it was smoother than butter...what happened? Now, whether singing is good or bad is a personal preference, ofc, but my question is - what does a singing nib MEAN for the nib itself? Like, you know how a scratchy nib would mean it's not aligned or tuned correctly? (which a negative thing)

All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my GvFC Sterling, still makes me write more than I need to, I just cannot stop writing! MY handwriting is, ofc, TERRIBAD. I've finally re-figured out how I want to do each of the letters..but it's gonna be a LONG way to get to my goal (and new years resolution) now: To get to a point where someone will look at my handwriting and go "wow, that's so pretty!" Looking forward to all the forum fun!
    Last edited by Tjphysicist; November 30th, 2019 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Hello from Toronto/Canada

Welcome!

I'm not sure what singing nibs indicates... Well, other than the nib is being excited at or near its resonant frequency.

Does it do it on some papers and not others?

I don't worry about it when it happens, as long as the pen is writing the way I like.

Thanks

So ... you bought your vocal pen on your birthday and you are wondering why it is singing for you?
    Welcome and Happy Birthday

Thanks
    Thanked 10,444 Times in 4,001 Posts

Hello and welcome to FPGeeks.

On the occasions when I have experienced a nib singing it usually meant that the tines, or part of them, were touching at the tip and needed a little manipulation to get a small gap between them again. In your case it's probably that the pen is brand new and it may disappear after you've written with it for a while.

(If you had a very lightweight and thin brass shim, then very carefully passing that up between the tines from underneath might fix it. However, if you prefer your nibs to be EF or F then maybe you shouldn't try this.)
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 1st, 2019 at 04:35 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 1st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Welcome to FPG! Your handwriting will improve with practice.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Tjphysicist (December 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Welcome to FPG! In my case, a singing nib generally means I remember to put in my hearing aids Seriously though, I have experienced singing nibs occasionally but they seem to calm down after a bit of writing. Like you, I write a lot and haven't noticed anything beyond normal pen noises for a while (I also rarely have my hearing aids in early in the morning when I do the bulk of my writing)
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

There is a long and recent thread in the Repair subform of the other place started by someone struggling to deal with their singing nib, with suggestions how to overcome his pen's sound track.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Some nibs sing more than others. If you don't get splatters then usually it is nothing to worry about. If it is annoying it can usually be cured pretty easily and GvFC also has about the best after sales support I've found.
    Last edited by jar; December 1st, 2019 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Salman Khattack is avail to adjustst the nib. The Toronto Pen Company. He is quite good...as per others the nib is having an alignment issue and a bit of pressure while writing may solve it over time or just get it tuned.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Thanks

First: thanks for the welcome, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Salman Khattack is avail to adjustst the nib. The Toronto Pen Company. He is quite good...as per others the nib is having an alignment issue and a bit of pressure while writing may solve it over time or just get it tuned.
    I'm actually still trying to decide if I LIKE a singing nib or not btw. It isn't immediately negative, like scratchy nib, and I've had experience with other singing tools (singing razors) that I've loved. That's actually what I wanted to know: should I be liking a singing nib?

Anyways, I saw Salman's site and it's cheap enough, I may actually send it over for tuning. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Welcome to FPG! Your handwriting will improve with practice.
    I've been wondering this for a bit now - it will? It seems obvious, but I'm not particularly DOING anything special other than writing...or do I need to take a conscious effort to do something other than just "write"? (i.e. what does "practice" mean in this case?). OFC I'm now conscious of my writing, so I try to slow down and be measured about it, but I'm don't really have a handwriting book that I'm following and so on...not sure if that makes sense as a question. Either way, thanks! I do enjoy writing now very much , the fun part is, I'm doing it INSTEAD of reading. Like I have a book I want to read, I transcribe it instead!
    Last edited by Tjphysicist; December 1st, 2019 at 02:48 PM.