Thread: Skipping/Ink flow issues? But only on specific paper

Thanks

Default Skipping/Ink flow issues? But only on specific paper

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Check out the words on the edge of the page, "it", "analytics" and the "the" at the very last line. It doesn't look as bad as it is IRL, and isn't specific to the edge of the page. Though the "thinner, less inky lines" is new, I've been having skipping issues since the get go - like it would jst completely STOP writing, for a WHILE...until I either forced some ink out of the nib or dipped the pen in the ink bottle as if I was filling in ink.
    Note: the below is Leuchtturm. I have 2 Leuchtturm books, it happens on both, though not on the Clairefontaine or Rhodia books/paper I have. (The weird skipping issues, where it just stops writing for a while happens on all paper though).

IMG_20191201_203704.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Skipping/Ink flow issues? But only on specific paper

It could be oils from your hands. I've seen this occasionally with my writing. I decided that this happened the last time because skipping spots were just about where my thumb hits when I open the book. Likely, I'd just eaten some cheese or salami and didn't immediately go wash my hands, just wiped them off.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by countrydirt View Post
    It could be oils from your hands. I've seen this occasionally with my writing. I decided that this happened the last time because skipping spots were just abo..ut where my thumb hits when I open the book. Likely, I'd just eaten some cheese or salami and didn't immediately go wash my hands, just wiped them off.
    Hmm makes a lot of sense actually. I can see the rhodia webnotebook I have not having this issue because of the way I ended up holding it, which is different from the way I was holding a similarly sized Leuchtturm book. Or the Rhodia PAD, which, being a pad on the table didn't need me to hold the paper as much. OR that rhodia uses paper that somehow reacts better with oil and ink.

The thing that bothered me about this, is that this isn't SKIPPING (which DOES happen, and probably gonna take it down to the shop to have them take a look at), but like the ink isn't really COMMITTING to the paper as well as it should.

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean. Almost like writing over a bit of wax and the ink stays away from that spot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tjphysicist View Post
    ...(The weird skipping issues, where it just stops writing for a while happens on all paper though)....
    Your nib and feed need adjustment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

How does it perform when printing?

Thanks

What is the pen in question? Please include details like how many times it's been inked and if this issue has occurred with all inks or just specific ones, as well as what inks have been used in it.

Sometimes the apparent causes are only contributing causes...
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post
    What is the pen in question? Please include details like how many times it's been inked and if this issue has occurred with all inks or just specific ones, as well as what inks have been used in it.

Sometimes the apparent causes are only contributing causes...
    Pen: GvFC Classic, Fine Nib.
    I've only used Diamine inks with this, as that is what all I have on hand. This issue (the lines being very light and almost non-existent in some places) is quite recent, but there's been weird skipping issues (that are present regardless of paper) since the get go. And by skipping I mean that the pen will completely stop writing.
    It's been inked about 3 times, when I got this issue I re-inked it once as well, just in case (that is, I forced the ink out then refilled the converter again without actually changing inks).