Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharing Pen History Knowledge

Thanks

Default Re: Sharing Pen History Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Yeah right, that would be convenient with my PC at home and me elsewhere with my Kindle. I'm trying to point out to you that this wouldn't work for me, given my circumstances. I know about Calibre. The image is too small on my Kindle and you suggest opening it on my *phone*?

Really. Let's stop at that.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to argue you specifically (or Calamus) in to thinking it was a good idea, just that if such a thing happened, that would be a solution that works for me. I could not usably view an image-rich ebook on my Kindle, but I could on my phone because of the display resolution and ability to zoom in on the detail. So a fountain pen book that was only viewable on Kindle for whatever reason wouldn't work for me either.

Thanks

It's not just the books. Even more, it is the source documents on which a historian might write.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

azkid (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Yeah right, that would be convenient with my PC at home and me elsewhere with my Kindle. I'm trying to point out to you that this wouldn't work for me, given my circumstances. I know about Calibre. The image is too small on my Kindle and you suggest opening it on my *phone*?

Really. Let's stop at that.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to argue you specifically (or Calamus) in to thinking it was a good idea, just that if such a thing happened, that would be a solution that works for me. I could not usably view an image-rich ebook on my Kindle, but I could on my phone because of the display resolution and ability to zoom in on the detail. So a fountain pen book that was only viewable on Kindle for whatever reason wouldn't work for me either.
    It's okay. I was getting a little frustrated trying to explain my position.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    It's not just the books. Even more, it is the source documents on which a historian might write.
    That's true. Most of them are gone. In winding up those companies no-one thought that their would be a bunch of pen geeks anxious to know all about the history of their company and its products. That said, some writers have done remarkably well without those primary documents. Trade avertisements and trade journals together with patents and matters brought before the courts have helped to fill in the picture. That's not to say that what is lost is not deeply regretted
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

azkid (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 542 Posts

I didn't know what I didn't know. I will look into joining the PCA. I'm not a true collector, nor a historian but I do want to know more about specific models and brands.

I could tell you all sorts of (well documented) trivia about the production history of my Jeep. That knowledge enriched my ownership of it.

I will just have to buckle down and look harder for the same kind of info on certain pens

I'm particularly interested in Esterbrook at the moment and I think I will plunk down the cash for the Hoban book.

Now I can start buying books instead of pens for awhile

Thanks

Contact Paul, at one point he had copies.

One of the PCAs main goals is preservation of pen related information. Esterbrook catalogs and such are rather scarce. I donít know of much that has surfaced sine Hobans book.

Membership in the PCA is $45 for 2020. Join now and you might get a gift from Santa. Membership at pencollectorsofamerica dot com. Tell them Farmboy said you were a good kid.