Thread: Duofold, Aurora, or Sailor

Thanks

Default Duofold, Aurora, or Sailor

Dear Members,
    This is my first post on this forum. I should like to purchase a new fountain pen. I have selected four:
    1. Parker Duofold Centennial GT Black,
    2. Parker Duofold Prestige Blue Chevron,
    3. Aurora Talentum GT Black,
    4. Sailor 1911 Large GT Black.

I am ruminating over which one I should purchase. At the moment I cannot betake myself to a shop with a view to checking what they really look like and how they feel. I have a liking for black pens adorned with gold elements. I am open to your suggestions, should there be some other pens to be recommended. The budget is $400. Which one of the aforesaid would you recommend? What about the materials employed? Is the resign of high quality? I prefer bigger and thicker pens. I should be profoundly grateful if you would expatiate upon the quality of those pens. I possess Lamy Safari, upon which I was bestowed some time ago. However, I feel that the time has come to buy a better one. I have been using Lamy Safari predominantly in my abode, but the new one will be employed at the university. I do not like Lamy too much - it is far too light and modern. I shall esteem every assistance.
    Last edited by Rutilant; December 5th, 2019 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Duofold, Aurora, or Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by Rutilant View Post
    Dear Members,
    This is my first post on this forum. I should like to purchase a new fountain pen. I have selected four:
    1. Parker Duofold Centennial GT Black,
    2. Parker Duofold Prestige Blue Chevron,
    3. Aurora Talentum GT Black,
    4. Sailor 1911 Large GT Black.

I am ruminating over which one I should purchase. At the moment I cannot betake myself to a shop with a view to checking what they really look like and how they feel. I have a liking for black pens adorned with gold elements. I am open to your suggestions, should there be some other pens to be recommended. The budget is $400. Which one of the aforesaid would you recommend? What about the materials employed? Is the resign of high quality? I prefer bigger and thicker pens. I should be profoundly grateful if you would expatiate upon the quality of those pens. I possess Lamy Safari, upon which I was bestowed some time ago. However, I feel that the time has come to buy a better one. I have been using Lamy Safari predominantly in my abode, but the new one will be employed at the university. I do not like Lamy too much - it is far too light and modern. I shall esteem every assistance.
    How did the Lamy like having you bestowed upon it? I assume the pen was bestowed upon you, not you upon it. Anyway, grammar aside, the only one of those I have is the Sailor 1911 Large and it is a beautiful fat pen with a beautiful broad gold nib. Highly recommended.

Thanks

There is pocket jewelry and tools for writing. Which are you after?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Of the ones you have listed, I prefer the Sailor 1911 and the Aurora Talentum over the modern Parker Duofolds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 10th, 2019)

Thanks

I’ve only tried the Sailor. Sailor won’t disappoint you.

Thanks

I should be most inclined to purchase Duofold. Sailor is perceptibly smaller. Aurora Talentum is semblable to Duofold in terms of length, but I have heard that they write quite dissimilarly.