Thread: Jinhao issues

Thanks

Default Jinhao issues

Hi Everyone.

I only recently (8 months or so) got back into fountain pens after over 20 years absence. I started out getting a Jinhao x450, to make sure i could even write anymore. i immediately had issues with it (posted here about it). it would write on crappy paper, but not on decent paper. tried flushing it, soaking etc to try to get oils etc out, but no luck.

given that i could still write with it, i went for a decent-ish pen in a faber-castel ambition (which i really like the design of and seemed to get good reviews). immediately noticed the difference, will write on anything from poor paper to good, no issues at all.

when i noticed that i could get some german market shimmer inks here, i bought a few and got another cheap pen (Jinhao x750) as i didnt want to risk the decent pen. immediately had the exact same issues with the x750... actually, they are even worse. after reading a few reviews about poor quality control, and that sometimes you just get duff pens, i bought another 2 of the x750s as i could get them for £3 each at the time. but it appears to be the same all round..

even the best of the bunch will hardly write at all, even with regular ink, unless i press really hard! the FC writes perfectly with hardly any pressure; the the Jinhao pens have to be pressed so hard it dents the pad below...

am i the only one finding this, or is it a common problem? the reviews for them say they are pretty reasonable, but im finding that they are all utter trash.. the only way i can get any decent flow out of them is by priming the nib every few lines.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Jinhao issues

I've had terrible luck with Jinhao #5 size nibs of which I've had several and half or more had issues. Baby's bottom was always the problem and likely what you're experiencing with yours.

I've had only one 450 and it was fine.

Their 51A pens, hooded only, have been mostly good. One out of several had issues but was easily fixed.

Other than 51A pens I'm done with Jinhao.

So far I haven't found a Wing Sung nib that didn't work fine out of the box. I've bought them in bulk as parts and a handful of pens.

The Pilot clone pens I got were junk and all cracked apart within days. The 3008 piston TWSBI clone has been excellent.

Thanks

My go to formula with 450/750 and 159 Jinhaos is to flush them with warm water and a drop of dish soap.

Throw away any Jinhao ink cartridges, use Waterman or something good quality.

Jinhao converters can be hit and miss, replace them.

Find yourself a very smooth stone, smooth enough to refect light, perhaps marble or polish granite. If you cannot find anything suitable try some polished copper or aluminum. Using figures of 8 motions work the nib a little, also side to side and up and down.

I have some papers that can be difficult, it is as if the feed cannot deliver enough ink to the tip to satisfy the paper, I suspect that this is more to do with the ink than the pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by capt_squidpants View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I only recently (8 months or so) got back into fountain pens after over 20 years absence. I started out getting a Jinhao x450, to make sure i could even write anymore. i immediately had issues with it (posted here about it). it would write on crappy paper, but not on decent paper. tried flushing it, soaking etc to try to get oils etc out, but no luck.

given that i could still write with it, i went for a decent-ish pen in a faber-castel ambition (which i really like the design of and seemed to get good reviews). immediately noticed the difference, will write on anything from poor paper to good, no issues at all.

when i noticed that i could get some german market shimmer inks here, i bought a few and got another cheap pen (Jinhao x750) as i didnt want to risk the decent pen. immediately had the exact same issues with the x750... actually, they are even worse. after reading a few reviews about poor quality control, and that sometimes you just get duff pens, i bought another 2 of the x750s as i could get them for £3 each at the time. but it appears to be the same all round..

even the best of the bunch will hardly write at all, even with regular ink, unless i press really hard! the FC writes perfectly with hardly any pressure; the the Jinhao pens have to be pressed so hard it dents the pad below...

am i the only one finding this, or is it a common problem? the reviews for them say they are pretty reasonable, but im finding that they are all utter trash.. the only way i can get any decent flow out of them is by priming the nib every few lines.
    I've had a number of Jinhao 450/750...many re-branded by Bulow. They were all gushers. Possibly it was due to the nibs being replaced by the re-branders, the late lamented xpens.

Even the ones I got from Amazon were gushers. In the end I kept only one or two, but because they're heavy for me, not because they didn't write.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Default Jinhao issues

The one I’ve had withe my jinhaos is the converters. Mine have been flimsy. The rest of the pen(s) are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bob; December 5th, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 665 Posts

"unless i press really hard!" <--- PS never do that, it'll just make things worse especially as the nib points get moved further away from the feed.

Far as Jinhao goes (and most cheaper Chinese/Indian pens of that price range), I find that many times you have to do preventive maintenance, for me that's :

- Double check the alignment on the nibs (may need a cheap 20x loupe)
    - Swapping out the converter for a better one if it uses one or taking apart the converter, flushing it, and applying some silicone grease to the plunger.
    - Flushing the pen with a pen flush (or in absence of that, diluted clear dish soap and water followed by just water), to help break down any manufacturing oils/etc and debris left in the pen.

The more drastic route is replacing the nibs which I see more commonly done with the X450/X750/159 which have the Jowo #6 size. I never cared for the Jinhaos that had the #5 (such as the X250).

My general experience with them has been in many cases they did not have good sealing caps and would just dry out relatively quickly compared to most my other pens, or become hard starters as the feed dried up quickly. As opposed to most of the Japanese pens I've had near the same price bracket (Pilot Metropolitan, 78G, Penmanship, Petit1, or Platinum Preppies) which never seemed to dry up for weeks and weeks.

Had my best luck with X750 and 159, but also using separate nibs such as the branded Jowos (had a couple Goulet nibs in mine), and using a different converter. The thinner hooded Jinhaos such as the 611 I once had weren't too bad either far as flow, just not the best nib out there.

Bear in mind of course, it's been a few years since I've owned a Jinhao, and their quality control could have changed in lieu of it's overseas popularity.

Long story short : I suspect that oils and debris from manufacturing and transport can interfere with the flow of the pens, and the Jinhaos were much more likely to contain those debris/etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (December 28th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Cleaning the nib and feed is essential with any mass market pen. Once that is done, pass a brass or celluloid shim under the nib and between the tines.

Thanks

I have 4x 750s. 2 of them have broken converters. The head of them just just popped off. The nibs are fine, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk