Thread: My Esterbrook story

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default My Esterbrook story

My turn to share my Esterbrook. I don't collect Esterbrooks. I just have this copper J that I don't sell because of certain nostalgia.

My mother had a copper Esterbrook J that only came out to write Christmas cards in the '50s and early '60s. She refused to buy pre-printed cards; every one was handwritten in green ink. Well, in the mid '60s, I was smitten with Illya Kuryakin's two-way communicator pen* on the TV show, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. "Open Channel D!" he would speak into his pen. I wanted one, but how? I searched for and found my mother's copper Esterbrook, and without any plan or forethought, I gutted it and trashed the section, nib and feed. I then searched in vain for something cool that would fit inside the barrel and cap, but nothing electronic was so small in the '60s! I lost interest and at some point pitched it before the following Christmas rolled around. I never did hear anything from Mom about a missing pen. (Insert guilt here.)

When the fountain pen bug bit decades later and I met Bert Heiserman at The Pen Haven, I asked Bert to put together a copper Esterbrook J for me. I showed it to my mother without explanation, and she said it was hers and I could have it. So I have it. I really should finally ink it. It's got a 9555 nib.

IMG_2807.jpg

Illya always did manage to escape from situations like this, but seemed to enjoy doing so.

Last edited by FredRydr; December 5th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 4th, 2019), carlos.q (December 5th, 2019), Deb (December 5th, 2019), Dreck (December 5th, 2019), jbb (December 5th, 2019), Jon Szanto (December 5th, 2019), penwash (September 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: My Esterbrook story

JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Re: My Esterbrook story

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    My turn to share my Esterbrook. I don't collect Esterbrooks. I just have this copper J that I don't sell it because of certain nostalgia.

My mother had a copper Esterbrook J that only came out to write Christmas cards in the '50s and early '60s. She refused to buy pre-printed cards; every one was handwritten in green ink. Well, in the mid '60s, I was smitten with Illya Kuryakin's two-way communicator pen* on the TV show, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. "Open Channel D!" he would speak into his pen. I wanted one, but how? I searched for and found my mother's copper Esterbrook, and without any plan or forethought, I gutted it and trashed the section, nib and feed. I then searched in vain for something cool that would fit inside the barrel and cap, but nothing electronic was so small in the '60s! I lost interest and at some point pitched it before the following Christmas rolled around. I never did hear anything from Mom about a missing pen. (Insert guilt here.)

When the fountain bug bit decades later and I met Bert Heiserman at The Pen Haven, I asked Bert to put together a copper Esterbrook J for me. I showed it to my mother without explanation, and she said it was hers and I could have it. So I have it. I really should finally ink it. It's got a 9555 nib.
    Aren't you the little stinker.