Thread: Sheaffer Legacy Mk1 Silver - Can the filler tube be permanently removed?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,364 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Sheaffer Legacy Mk1 Silver - Can the filler tube be permanently removed?

I've seen many Sheaffer Legacy Mk1 pens with new "fantasy" barrels, and wondered if anyone (Ron?) had ever tried removing the filler tube from the blind cap in order that regular converters can be used? I know the regular squeeze converter fits anyway, in place of the converter that works with the tube filler, but I wondered if the twist converter might also fit if the filler tube was permanently removed from the blind cap.

I wish it was just a screw in filler but it's a rivet. I suppose trying to get the tube off of the rivet would break or dent the sliver blind cap anyway. However I'm interested to learn if anyone has successfully done it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Legacy Mk1 Silver - Can the filler tube be permanently removed?

There are two different ways that the blind cap is attached to the Legacy touchdown tube. One uses adhesive, so the TD tube has a closed end, the other uses a screw.

The one that is attached with a screw has plug blocking access to the screw that has to be removed, and then you need a very small torx (star) screw drive with a long enough handle to get in to take the screw out. I had one apart recently because it wouldn't fill, but the owner wanted to use it as a TD filler, so I didn't try a piston converter in the pen. IIRC the blind cap screws into the barrel, but I'd be a bit nervous about it working loose when you aren't looking, so you'd lose the blind cap. I suppose shellac or thread sealant would hold it on. I wouldn't glue it on though. just in case you to go back to the TD system. IMO, you'd be better off with the squeeze converter. It holds about the same amount of ink.

The fantasy (acrylic) barrels were made for Jim Rouse by the machinist at Franklin Christoph a few years ago. I have an orange one with a nib that I plated with rhodium, and a sterling 100 year anniversary cap. Cool pen.
    Last edited by Ron Z; December 6th, 2019 at 08:28 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 7th, 2019), Chrissy (December 7th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,364 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Legacy Mk1 Silver - Can the filler tube be permanently removed?

Thanks Ron. Mine looked more like a rivet when I last looked, but I will have another look as soon as I can.
    Although I still have a couple of the large O-rings that fit between the section and the barrel, I thought there was no way to change whatever O-ring is inside the top of the barrel where the end of the TD filler fits.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 9th, 2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Sheaffer made it a challenge to get the blind cap off of the tube. As noted, one version is held on, apparently with a double stick tape, the other is held on with a screw behind the plug. No slot in the screw - it uses a special screw driver, so could be perceived to be a rivet. I've had both versions on the bench.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 9th, 2019)