Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping News - sorta

Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 639 Posts

Default Shipping News - sorta

I understand this is a somewhat unusual request, and may be too much to ask, but as people say "if you don't ask, you don't get".

There is a seller on eBay who has a pen (possibly two) that I would like to purchase. The problem for me is that the shipping is quoted as USD$37.70, which is nearly half the cost of the pen. I have contacted the seller but they are uninterested in exploring other shipping options - they are within CONUS.

Shipping within the US is $3.95, according to the seller. Looking at another seller - in this example T. Bickham (so you know this is legit) - the quoted shipping from the US to NZ is $14.95 via USPS 1st Class International (numbered and tracked all the way).

Simple math shows that if the seller of interest would agree to send the pen to a 3rd party in the US (for $3.95), and that person relabels the package and sends it to me for $14.95, then the total cost to me would be $18.90. That is $18.80 less (nearly half the cost!). As you can see, this is (to me at least) a significant saving

So, the question is: Is there a kind soul out there who would be willing to act as a facilitator in this venture?

I appreciate this would mean the volunteer would have to go to the trouble of putting a new address on the box and taking it to the post office.
    THIS MEMBER IS NOT ACTIVE ON THIS FORUM

Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,872 Posts

Default Re: Shipping News - sorta

But as an ebay purchase, doesn't that become difficult for the third party when there is something wrong with it and you want to return it, or the package never even arrives? Would you be happy to lose all of your money and have no pen?

Firstly, you would need to have someone's address in your ebay account, as your address, and it would be unconfirmed. The ebay seller might even refuse to send to an unconfirmed address, but if he did he would be covered by ebay and PayPal. You wouldn't be covered by anyone because you had the pen sent to a gift address within the US.

For a saving of only $18.80? Less than $20? Why even think about it? It's nothing.

I've actually done this for a US buyer who wanted some Exacompta cards in orange and the only seller who had any was in the UK and only posted to the UK. He put my UK address in his ebay account and bought them. They came to me and I sent them to him. It was a 2kg parcel. It cost him a lot of money and he gave me extra for the inconvenience. He received the cards. Sadly he then forgot to take my address off of his ebay account and bought some ink samples from Scotland and I had this surprise delivery.

One of the reasons why I never buy from US sellers on ebay while I'm in the UK is because the shipping costs are too high. That's the way it is. It's better to just not look at their items and move on. There is always another pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

$37.70 postage from US to New Zealand sounds about right:

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.58.49 AM.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 559 Posts

Shipping outside the US is stupid expensive for some reason. The cheapest option is USPS First Class International which is around $15 last I checked (assuming say 4 or 5 Oz)

If you bought a few items from a few sellers and the US person put them all in one box that would save even more money
    Last edited by azkid; December 9th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks

Well, it was just a thought. I forgot about the issues around potential returns.

As for other responses, there are more ways to send than just Priority Mail. Also, $20 may not be significant to others but it is to me.

Anyway, I'll drop the request.

Thanks

I have shipped to your part of the world before. Its $15 uninsured and it takes however long it takes. I've had a pen take a month get to Australia before. The $37 sounds right for a speedy shipment and a bit of insurance on the package as well.

Really sucks.

Thanks

Just so you know, in my experience thus far, Priority Mail is no quicker that 1st Class International. Estimates are always around 7-10 working days, and generally, though not always, reasonably reliable.

Shipping from NZ to the US, for this kind of package size, costs around USD$12 and is insured up to around USD$165. Paying a bit more for the shipping ups the insurance to around USD$1300. It is curious that this tiny country offers cheaper shipping plus insurance, whereas the giant economic entity that is the US does not.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,032 Posts

Hi David
    trying to send you a PM but your inbox is full.
    M

Thanks

Okay dokey, have cleared some of it - not sure how that works 'cos it's clunky and I've probably deleted stuff I should've kept (mainly addresses). Bad message system.

Thanks

The US postal service is a bit expensive, specially for international parcels. The $37.70 quote includes tracking and insurance up to $200. I don't know about import duties in NZ but I guess you have to factor in that extra cost.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,872 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Well, it was just a thought. I forgot about the issues around potential returns.

As for other responses, there are more ways to send than just Priority Mail. Also, $20 may not be significant to others but it is to me.

USPS 1st Class International probably doesn't offer the required insurance for the items, and might take too long, especially at this time of year. So that's probably why the ebay seller won't use it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

David---

I sent you a PM.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Hello David, sent you a pm too.

cheers

Thanks

See above/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 461 Posts

PS: "First Class" in the US is basically the same or similar to every other countries very basic standard parcel, and it's not something I would trust for international shipment of valuable goods. If the options are offered/advised, and the buyer still opts for the cheapest, then losses are on the buyer imo. Not to mention that AU/NZ hasn't really ever been friendly to sellers (takes forever to the point that a claim may be filed, and customs usually causes complaints from buyers when the seller won't falsify the purchase price [which is illegal to do so]).

How much are the pens priced at?
    Last edited by KBeezie; December 10th, 2019 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks

That's some allegation there. Got proof of any of it? Customs here don't get involved until the price of an imported item goes above USD$260 (NZD$400).

The significance of the $20 saving is not connected to the price of the pens. It's significant by itself.

Editl: doesn't apply now as some sod bought the pen while I was trying to make arrangements. FML
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; December 10th, 2019 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 461 Posts

That's some allegation there. Got proof of any of it? Customs here don't get involved until the price of an imported item goes above USD$260 (NZD$400).
    2 years of having sold used film cameras and other collectables for a local camera store a few years back , with a small chunk of sales going to the AU region mostly (and a couple to NZ). And many international buyers wanting us to undervalue the gear especially if it was over 300-400 USD, and getting pissed when we tell them it's against the law for us to do so and can result in us being black listed from shipping goods to said country if caught. And no less than 4 times something being sent to that region has ended up taking 4 to 6 months to deliver when the customer opted for the cheapest possible option, resulting in eBay claims of non-delivery only to have it show as deliver after the claim was found in their favor.

The significance of the $20 saving is not connected to the price of the pens. It's significant by itself.
    It's very significant if you wish to ensure it's delivery with some measure of having a paper trail, especially if we're talking about something where $20 isn't even 10% of the total value you're entrusting to be shipped. And the overall nutshell is, from US to AUS/NZ, you're not going to get a bargain for shipping and the seller isn't going to have really any control over that except perhaps to inflate their price to cover the shipping just to give you the illusion that you got a savings on shipping cost.

Thanks

Firstly, NZ Post and AU Post are two separate companies with no connection. I don't know what buyers in Australia do, but here in NZ I don't know anyone who has asked for a seller to undervalue an item. I certainly don't do this, though no doubt this does happen in every country to some degree.

Also, USPS 1st Class to NZ is numbered and tracked - so there is a 'paper' trail. I've lost count of how many times I have pointed this out, how many times I have provided a link to the relevant USPS web page that clearly states this, and how many times people refuse to believe the fact of it. Exasperating doesn't even come close.

Secondly, I said that the $20 saving in this case was not connected to the cost of the pens. I wasn't generalising, but being quite specific. The pens cost $80 and the advertised shipping cost nearly $40, so the $20 saving is worth asking for.

So far, I've had many sellers (not just for pens) agree to send USPS 1st Class (some even offer it up front, such as T. Bickham named in the OP), so those people clearly don't share these concerns. And so far I've had one package go astray that ended up back with the seller, no harm done. I don't know if the fact that I have all my mail sent to a major University makes any difference to the delivery success, but we certainly don't get things left on the doorstep.

And I'm going to quote myself here:

Shipping from NZ to the US, for this kind of package size, costs around USD$12 and is insured up to around USD$165. Paying a bit more for the shipping ups the insurance to around USD$1300. It is curious that this tiny country offers cheaper shipping plus insurance, whereas the giant economic entity that is the US does not.
    You actually get a better and safer service ordering from us than we do from you. Go figure.

Thanks

You actually get a better and safer service ordering from us than we do from you. Go figure.
    That's only for untracked items less than 250NZD in value. If you want tracked, or if the pen(s) are worth more, the cost is north of 50 NZD, which is borderline extortionate.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Yes, for almost the same price they give tracking and no insurance, and we give insurance and no tracking. I already mentioned the insurance limit. I prefer our option as at least there is recompense if something gets lost, which is probably more useful than knowing if something is lost.

Sorry, my perspective is biased toward items of lower value, so this is more of an issue for me than for others.