Thread: ISO Japanese EF nib pen recommendations, stipulations

Thanks

Question ISO Japanese EF nib pen recommendations, stipulations

- must be slim, not cigar-shaped like Pilot; Dryden Designs and EuroPen are 'slim', so designs closer to those
    - must not be made in China (Taiwanese recipient requesting this)
    - must be 'understated'; I suggested a Travelers pen which was brass but that is too showy.
    - must have EF nib, for Chinese character writing

Can you help?
    Reactivated penthusiast
    I write letters year-round: http://postable.com/christinao

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Default Re: ISO Japanese EF nib pen recommendations, stipulations

Have you considered the Pilot E95s in black? It's a slim pen in black, understated, very short in size until posted, then it's normal sized. Made in Japan and takes the standard Pilot sized ink cartridges that comes in 6 colors. The Japanese 14k fine nib is equivalent to a European XF, and the Japanese XF is equivalent to a European XXF. Note: It does NOT come with an ink converter and must be purchased seperately.

Linky: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDBWZ3I...ing=UTF8&psc=1

For something less expensive you can look at the Lamy Safari in Charcoal Black with a European XF steel nib. Made in Germany and uses the Lamy ink cartridges in 7 colors. Note: It does NOT come with an ink converter and must be purchased seperately.

https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/...ntain_pen.html
    Last edited by junglejim; December 11th, 2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual...
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: ISO Japanese EF nib pen recommendations, stipulations

A Pilot Cavalier is a slim, understated pen that might fit the bill for you.

I don't know if it is 100% made in Japan or if it is made in China or what.

Pelikan makes their pens in Germany though the M205 is not slim.

Vintage avoids giving money to China.

Japan seems to be awash in 60s/70s slim style Montblanc pens like the 221, 32, 24, etc. I've seen hundreds of these listed by Japanese sellers. I have a couple of 221s in EF (it is a true EF) and the gold nibs are fantastic, offering excellent control of line width and a bit of springiness.

This sort of slim shaped pen was apparently rather popular in the 60s. Parker 45 is a great choice and they aren't expensive. Look for nib marked X. Gold and Octanium nibs are both very good. Pelikan M30 is a similar form factor and is on my "to try" for list. Another similar style is the Lamy 27.

Back to super slim pens, the Montblanc Noblesse and Sheaffer Targa are ultra slim like the Pilot above.
    Last edited by azkid; December 12th, 2019 at 08:32 AM.