Thread: Refill Pelikan 450 Pencil

Thanks

Default Refill Pelikan 450 Pencil

Can someone instruct me the proper way to refill lead in the above mechanical pencil? I am using 1.1mm lead however something I am doing is not right? When pulling the push button out there is a small wire that confuses me?

Thank You...........
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

Default Re: Refill Pelikan 450 Pencil

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Can someone instruct me the proper way to refill lead in the above mechanical pencil? I am using 1.1mm lead however something I am doing is not right? When pulling the push button out there is a small wire that confuses me?

Thank You...........
    Can you post a photo? It would help.........

In the absence of a photo, I would say if you truly have a Pelikan 450 mechanical pencil (MP) from the 50's that it fills "retrograde." In other words, you slip the lead up through the tip of the pencil while depressing the push button.

What confuses me is your description of a "wire" attached to the push button. Pelikan employed such "wires" in that location but, to the best of my knowledge, that was on later versions of their MPs. It's use was to clear "lead jams" in the pencil's tip. As I recall, the early 450s had only a brass like cylinder (used to push the pencil lead advancing mechanism within the pencil) under the button and then in later years a small eraser was added and sat under the push button and inside the brass cylinder. I am not familiar with the "wire" being used on the 450 MPs of the 50's but I suppose it is possible in one of the latter year versions. Maybe someone else can fill us both in........

At any rate, fill your pencil retrograde as described above. And, BTW, the proper lead size (if it is a 450 from the 50's) is 1.18mm

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post

Thank You...........
    Can you post a photo? It would help.........

In the absence of a photo, I would say if you truly have a Pelikan 450 mechanical pencil (MP) from the 50's that it fills "retrograde." In other words, you slip the lead up through the tip of the pencil while depressing the push button.

What confuses me is your description of a "wire" attached to the push button. Pelikan employed such "wires" in that location but, to the best of my knowledge, that was on later versions of their MPs. It's use was to clear "lead jams" in the pencil's tip. As I recall, the early 450s had only a brass like cylinder (used to push the pencil lead advancing mechanism within the pencil) under the button and then in later years a small eraser was added and sat under the push button and inside the brass cylinder. I am not familiar with the "wire" being used on the 450 MPs of the 50's but I suppose it is possible in one of the latter year versions. Maybe someone else can fill us both in........

At any rate, fill your pencil retrograde as described above. And, BTW, the proper lead size (if it is a 450 from the 50's) is 1.18mm

Hope this helps!
    TY so much for responding and I will post a pix as soon as my phone charges. I was trying to insert the lead through the nozzle, but I am assuming it was filled with so much lead it would not fill? I got 3 fairly full size pieces out and was under the impression there is some kind of magazine to load in?

The wire or pin I am speaking of is not part of the eraser, push button itself, but is inside the barrel that comes out a tad if you invert the pencil with the push button removed. Kind of looks like a small brass pin with a minute head that recesses back into the barrel hole when turned up right?

The lead that came with it is a tad to hard for me...........HB or something where I prefer 2B and softer. Very quality pencil if I can get my lead preference inserted?

Thanks

Apologize for not updating post with pictures.............trying to balance my day with family if you catch my drift.

I cannot believe with the amount of vintage Pelikan pencils out there that I can not Google, etc. any instructions on how this stupid thing works? One thing is for sure.........loading by the nozzle, crown does not work. I still removed another 2 full pieces of lead and knew this thing has to load from the barrel? That pin, wire I mentioned if you pull backwards on it will actually come out separate. It has a little round brass sleeve with a hole in the middle where the pin goes.

Pull the plastic push button out, simply remove the pin, turn the pencil upside down where you see the pin come out some, pull the pin, insert prob I am guess abt 3-5 pieces of 1.1mm lead................insert pin back into the barrel where the pin slides back into its hole.

Re-insert plastic push button with eraser on 1 side, turn pencil upside and start pumping, then turn back with nozzle pointing down, keep pumping until you see lead. It may take a combination of a couple times for the lead to catch, but when it does- happy-happy-joy-joy.

Last edited by wingwiper; December 14th, 2019 at 05:07 PM.