Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy sacs?

Thanks

Default Where to buy sacs?

I have been mainly buying them from pendragon on Ebay. His prices are fair for smaller quantities but he doesn't offer much incentive for buying in larger quantities. I'm thinking of maybe buying 100 in the sizes I use most often but I would hope get the price down significantly from the £2 he chargers per sac.

From what I can glean there maybe one or two manufactures but the references seem a sketchy. I don't mind buying from overseas but my main goal is to get the price down a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Where to buy sacs?

Saw the thread title and was about to suggest Pendragon myself! Have bought from him for the very few times that I had a go at restoring a pen filling system. As your location is listed as the UK, and Pendragons are country-local, perhaps giving them a call may open up the opportunity for quantity sales. Just a suggestion, may not be a good one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I've bought from....

1. Pendragon

2. Indy-pen-dance

3. The Pen Sac Company

For bulk buy, and #3 is the way to go.

I'm pretty sure 2 gets theirs from 3, who I guess got a lot of original equipment and then also had help from a person retired from making pen sacs or something. It's on their website somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    3. The Pen Sac Company
    I'm not certain they are still in business. Their website, minimal as it was, is no longer active. They are local to me so I'll try calling on Monday.

David Nishimura (vintagepens.net, I believe) sells sacs, as does Dale Beebe @ pentooling.com. All of these are US suppliers and I believe the OP was looking for UK sources?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Yeah, possible sites selection possibilities in Europe are not wide (at least my knowledge).
    I bought stuff from Pendragons in the UK because I’m not aware of a continental option (preferably in Austria or Germany).

But as Johnson won the elections and the Brexit most likely will happen I doubt that I will order much stuff in the UK in the future anymore because I do not want to bother with customs and importation VAT (e.g. I liked to buy stuff from “The Writing Desk”).
    I’m pretty sure that the business of the UK companies will be hit quite hard by this stupid action.
    But this is another topic.

So I might want to extend the question to, do anybody know a source in continental Europe (instead of the UK and US)?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,452 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    I have been mainly buying them from pendragon on Ebay. His prices are fair for smaller quantities but he doesn't offer much incentive for buying in larger quantities. I'm thinking of maybe buying 100 in the sizes I use most often but I would hope get the price down significantly from the £2 he chargers per sac.

From what I can glean there maybe one or two manufactures but the references seem a sketchy. I don't mind buying from overseas but my main goal is to get the price down a bit.
    If you want to buy pen sacs within the UK then, as far as I'm aware, you have two choices.
    The Pendragons web-site or "chiiipea" is their ebay ID. If you buy on ebay then they are very slightly cheaper as they dispatch with 2nd class mail. If you buy directly from their web-site then you pay a little more but they are sent by 1st class mail.

Although I don't buy in bulk, you won't get any as cheap as this sent by any US company that sells pen sacs. You will pay more in shipping than the total ebay amount you would pay. I've done the calculations for everywhere I know that sells them. The Pendragons will quote you a price for 100 or more.

(P.S. Have I got this wrong? I now see this is in the Classifieds For Sale forum. Are you also selling sacs? Or do you want to buy some?)
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 15th, 2019 at 05:49 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Yeah, possible sites selection possibilities in Europe are not wide (at least my knowledge).
    I bought stuff from Pendragons in the UK because I’m not aware of a continental option (preferably in Austria or Germany).

But as Johnson won the elections and the Brexit most likely will happen I doubt that I will order much stuff in the UK in the future anymore because I do not want to bother with customs and importation VAT (e.g. I liked to buy stuff from “The Writing Desk”).
    I’m pretty sure that the business of the UK companies will be hit quite hard by this stupid action.

So I might want to extend the question to, do anybody know a source in continental Europe (instead of the UK and US)?
    No worries at the moment, until at least the end of 2020. Even then, no-one knows whether that will be extended, or what will be included in the way we trade with the EU.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 805 Posts

Has anyone bought sacs from this UK vendor?
    https://www.pensacsandparts.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

If you want to buy pen sacs within the UK then, as far as I'm aware, you have two choices.
    The Pendragons web-site or "chiiipea" is their ebay ID. If you buy on ebay then they are very slightly cheaper as they dispatch with 2nd class mail. If you buy directly from their web-site then you pay a little more but they are sent by 1st class mail.

Although I don't buy in bulk, you won't get any as cheap as this sent by any US company that sells pen sacs. You will pay more in shipping than the total ebay amount you would pay. I've done the calculations for everywhere I know that sells them. The Pendragons will quote you a price for 100 or more.

(P.S. Have I got this wrong? I now see this is in the Classifieds For Sale forum. Are you also selling sacs? Or do you want to buy some?)
    I chose the wrong sub forum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    I haven't but looking at the site their price for sacs is very high.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

No worries at the moment, until at least the end of 2020. Even then, no-one knows whether that will be extended, or what will be included in the way we trade with the EU.
    We will see, imho Britain should not expect to be part of the EU free trade zone anymore (and to be honest I would not understand concessions towards Britain as you canˋt just cherry-pick what you like).
    On the other side I don’t think that also the US will welcome Britain open-hearted, the only thing the US really is interested is the advantage of itself (remember: „America First“).

What might will happen is that the Scottish and North Ireland demand independence when recession will hit Britain like a sledgehammer and afterwards the remaining rest England sink economical to insignificance.

Latest at this point some people will rethink what they triggered.

We will see how it will turn out, personally I think the Brits made a catastrophic error (despite I also see all the problems the EU has).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Pretty sure it's the same person as pendragon and chilipea on ebay.

Thanks

We will see, imho Britain should not expect to be part of the EU free trade zone anymore (and to be honest I would not understand concessions towards Britain as you canˋt just cherry-pick what you like).
    On the other side I don’t think that also the US will welcome Britain open-hearted, the only thing the US really is interested is the advantage of itself (remember: „America First“).

What might will happen is that the Scottish and North Ireland demand independence when recession will hit Britain like a sledgehammer and afterwards the remaining rest England sink economical to insignificance.

We will see how it will turn out, personally I think the Brits made a catastrophic error (despite I also see all the problems the EU has).
    Could we be spared the amateur hour political commentary, please?
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

aurore (December 18th, 2019), Chrissy (December 15th, 2019), penwash (December 16th, 2019), rubendh (December 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Could we be spared the amateur hour political commentary, please?
    Thank you and quite right Deb. I knew I shouldn't have tried to make any comment at all about the post because it was bound to get that type of reaction.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aurore (December 15th, 2019), Deb (December 15th, 2019)

Thanks

Not your fault, Chrissy. I can understand that people get annoyed about these matters but there is a sub-forum for politics and religion should one feel compelled to comment.
    Let's get back to the pen sacs.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

penwash (December 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Pretty sure it's the same person as pendragon and chilipea on ebay.
    Absolutely correct.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    3. The Pen Sac Company
    I'm not certain they are still in business. Their website, minimal as it was, is no longer active. They are local to me so I'll try calling on Monday....
    I just heard from Peter of the Pen Sac Co., and he is in business. He's just working on his website. What follows is a jpg of his order form, so anyone here can order sacs now by fax, phone or email. The newer email is peteramis@pensacs.com. I wonder if prices will increase with the website update? Nah!

SacCoOrderform.jpg
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 15th, 2019 at 07:16 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 15th, 2019), Deb (December 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    3. The Pen Sac Company
    I'm not certain they are still in business. Their website, minimal as it was, is no longer active. They are local to me so I'll try calling on Monday....
    I just heard from Peter of the Pen Sac Co., and he is in business. He's just working on his website. What follows is a jpg of his order form, so anyone here can order sacs now by fax, phone or email. The newer email is peteramis@pensacs.com. I wonder if prices will increase with the website update? Nah!

SacCoOrderform.jpg
    Thanks

Thanks

I'm relieved to hear that the Pen Sac Company is still in businesss. That's where I have ordered sacs for many years.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

It looks like maybe they are redoing their website. Also relieved as I am almost out of a couple of common sizes.