Thread: Vacumatic Oversize Lockdown Filler

Thanks

Default Vacumatic Oversize Lockdown Filler

I have a Vacumatic Oversize with a lockdown filler that was recently repaired and there seems to be ink on the metal plunger rod now whenever the pen has been inked and the rod extended. I thought that some ink was also leaking out into the blind cap but I've so far only seen this happen once, so I'm unsure if it was a fluke or a real leak. I'm assuming that the plunger rod should not have any ink on it and that somewhere there must be a part that needs to be resealed? Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Vacumatic Oversize Lockdown Filler

Ink on the metal plunger means the supposedly new diaphragm was not installed correctly, or in the worst case, torn or damaged.

Since it's recently repaired, I'd contact the repairer and have them re-service it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Re: Vacumatic Oversize Lockdown Filler

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Since it's recently repaired, I'd contact the repairer and have them re-service it.
    I agree. I'd also add that it can be a help to the repair person. No matter how careful one is, we do on occasion miss something.

I disagree with the "well, they had their chance" theory. Having us look at the pen again gives us a chance to see what is going on, and add to our knowledge base - to avoid making the same mistake or to be able to anticipate the problem on someone else's pen.