Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Streamlining

Thanks

Default Re: Streamlining

Stub,no worries taken. One of the aspects of the beauty of a fountain pen (in my mind) is total look of a pen. A metal cap on an acrylic body cuts the image of that pen in half,especially if there isn't any jewellery on the bottom of the pen. I much prefer either a metal overlay with a minimum of acrylic banding or a full acrylic or celluloid with minimum metal furniture. While Kenneth Parker back in 1939 took a road not taken with tubular nibs and half-metal and half-celluloid, not everyone takes the same path.

Btw,this doesn't mean I'm not a fan of new looks---I think the look of the Montblanc M is fantastic.

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm with Jon on this. I have no Parker 51 pens and I'm happy with that.
    Having read your experiences with many pens and blog, why no interest in the 51? I am beginning to question my interest as well. The Wing Sung 601 is a well made and good writing pen, but the hooded nib can slow down making quick notes.
    I think the hooded nib on the Parker 51 was intended to make it easier to start, and, therefore, better for making quick notes.

I have about two dozen P-51s, and at any time I'll have a half-dozen inked and ready. As with others, the 51 is my pen-of-choice. Usually have one in my shirt pocket and one or two in my knapsack "just in case". The 51 just writes and writes. The hooded style was shocking in 1941, and, at least among fountain pens, as style seems to have shifted back toward decoration, maybe it still shocks?

As best I remember, (probably from the Shepherd's P-51 book) the hood was designed to contain a wrap-around ready-ink buffer, for a goal that the nib would lay down ink as soon as it touched paper. Sheaffer seems to have countered by wrapping their Triumph nib around the feed. Both eliminated the need to shake a pen or juggling the lever to get ink started...starting a pen must have been one of the stock Hollywood jokes: the fussy guy in the suit blurps ink in his eye and on his white shirt.

That is, the hood was not just advanced -- streamlined -- style, but it covered a technological advance.

Anyway, the Chinese look-alike hooded pens are nothing like a Parker 51.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm with Jon on this. I have no Parker 51 pens and I'm happy with that.
    Having read your experiences with many pens and blog, why no interest in the 51? I am beginning to question my interest as well. The Wing Sung 601 is a well made and good writing pen, but the hooded nib can slow down making quick notes.
    I think the hooded nib on the Parker 51 was intended to make it easier to start, and, therefore, better for making quick notes.

I have about two dozen P-51s, and at any time I'll have a half-dozen inked and ready. As with others, the 51 is my pen-of-choice. Usually have one in my shirt pocket and one or two in my knapsack "just in case". The 51 just writes and writes. The hooded style was shocking in 1941, and, at least among fountain pens, as style seems to have shifted back toward decoration, maybe it still shocks?

As best I remember, (probably from the Shepherd's P-51 book) the hood was designed to contain a wrap-around ready-ink buffer, for a goal that the nib would lay down ink as soon as it touched paper. Sheaffer seems to have countered by wrapping their Triumph nib around the feed. Both eliminated the need to shake a pen or juggling the lever to get ink started...starting a pen must have been one of the stock Hollywood jokes: the fussy guy in the suit blurps ink in his eye and on his white shirt.

That is, the hood was not just advanced -- streamlined -- style, but it covered a technological advance.

Anyway, the Chinese look-alike hooded pens are nothing like a Parker 51.
    What I meant by not being able to make quick notes is because I do not always properly have the nib in the best place on the paper. The Parker 61 apparently attempted to correct this issue/ problem with an arrow.

Thanks

What I meant by not being able to make quick notes is because I do not always properly have the nib in the best place on the paper. The Parker 61 apparently attempted to correct this issue/ problem with an arrow.
    Some 51s have the nib deeply buried into the hood. I find if I have 51s where the nib pokes out a tiny bit more than the little turtle head I am perfectly fine. Obviously not so much that the sides of the nib protrude from the shell but enough that I can clearly see the tipping beyond the hood and a tiny bit more of the tines. That was the key to me. Once I get the nibs how I like them it is like writing with a pencil point to me, the nib seems an extension of the taper of the hood.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (January 5th, 2020)

Thanks

You'll note the difference between the Cedar Blue (vac era) and the Navy Blue (Aerometric) and that on the blue pen I have mismatched the hood and barrel I think. </sad_trombones.wav>
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (January 5th, 2020)