Thread: Acquiring harder to find pens what approaches have worked for others?

Thanks

Default Acquiring harder to find pens what approaches have worked for others?

I'm interested to know from others who have been through the process of trying to find harder to find pens what methods have worked?

The pen I'm after is is a Diplomat Balance B I've got 2 Balance C but I want a larger B as well. I was hoping to buy one a few years ago it was discontinued under my radar. When I went to look there weren't any stockists. I think it was discontinued in 2016 so I don't think by means it should be an impossible task to find one in new or very good condition.

Other then searching Ebay.de and occasionally amazon are there other methods I should be trying? I tried Diplomat themselves around a year ago but they had non.

I fully recognise it's a sellers market with these sorts of things however I haven't even seen anyone hedging there bets for one.

Thanks

Default Re: Acquiring harder to find pens what approaches have worked for others?

Have you tried opening a WTB thread here in the Buying and Trade forum? That is one way to initiate a search that has worked for me.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Default Re: Acquiring harder to find pens what approaches have worked for others?

I've noticed two things that have helped me find the pens of interest for me, non specific search terms and frequent searches. Most estate sellers would not be familiar with the terms familiar within our FP community.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Have you tried opening a WTB thread here in the Buying and Trade forum? That is one way to initiate a search that has worked for me.
    I've tried once or twice on more common pens however to little avail. I will have to try as if it works it works.

Thanks

I fish on Ebay occasionally and have been able to find pens I wouldn't have expected to find.

John

Thanks
    Thanked 10,377 Times in 3,982 Posts

I regularly look on ebay after setting up searches that I hope might work.
    They didn't help me to find a Delta 366 and nor did a WTB ad on here.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,043 Times in 4,012 Posts

Most of my strategies have already been mentioned. Beyond the automated and technological tools, there is also the activity of cultivating a network of friends and fellow enthusiasts to spread thw word when looking for something. Pen shows have been invaluable to me in terms of making deeper connections to some of these people, now good friends, who are more regularly in contact with a lot of pens that are looking for buyers. Obscure parts are often sourced with a call out to these people.

All that said, some things seem elusive, and all you can do is keep vigilant and keep trying. Some pens may never turn up, others find you when you least expect them.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

As an example to what Jon said,I have a favorite thrift store that I go to to find clothing and other things. Earlier this year I happened to find a Levenger pen holder with the top that comes off and looks like an elongated test tube holder. Picked it up for the princely sum of $4.99 . I don't think most people there would have had an idea of what it really was. I certainly didn't expect to find it there.

John