Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Height of Form and Function aka Esterbrook?!

Thanks

Default Re: The Height of Form and Function aka Esterbrook?!

There's a difference between being enthusiastic in advocating the pen variety you love and starting to deride pen brands that you don't. Please let's not wander into that trap, and for the love of mike, let's not have the thread descend into MB bashing.

As to PVC sacs in Esterbrooks, I'm sure they're excellent. They're also non-standard, which I would suggest makes them not really in the spirit of the original claim of form and function.

Anyway, Chuck, you'll be pleased with me - I have my first Dollar pen. Currently in quarantine, unfortunately, but hopefully will clean up nicely in due course. Life being what it is, what's the betting I don't have the correct size of sac?
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 6th, 2020), Deb (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

If I am going to make a wide general statement about Esterbrooks being the height of something, I must make comparisons in order to validate why. I have owned a MB149 just as I currently have two Parker Vacumatics. No derision was intended, but only did so to make a comparison of reliability and simplicity.

I don't plan to use PVC, just curious about using them. If the same as in my Parker 21, they have a different pliability and not sure an Esty j bar and lever would work as well.

Yes, I am pleased you got a dollar. I have one sac left. I usually purchase 6 at a time from Anderson Pen. So, congratulations. I see Deb thanked your post. She's forgotten more than I will ever know. It is just that I have been surprised at how well an Esty cleans up and especially how well they write. Being able to use anything 90 years old for a common, daily purpose is very pleasing for me.

As an aside, I recently got another Parker 51 that was supposed to have be restored, but wasn't. I sent it out to be re-restored and got a message last night that the collector was the wrong size and part of the old diaphragm was floating inside the part that holds the ink. I would never have been able to have corrected the problem myself as I have been able to solve every problem with an Esty.

Anyway, just enjoying the discussion, but again not disparaging another's opinion and certainly not a different brand. I mean, we are all advocates of FP's here. I apologize if it appeared otherwise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I think it's good to be cautious about PVC sacs in lever fillers. They do put more stress on the delicate lever.

I don't know about having forgotten more than you will ever know. I have forgotten most of what I used to know.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I don't plan to use PVC, just curious about using them. If the same as in my Parker 21, they have a different pliability and not sure an Esty j bar and lever would work as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I think it's good to be cautious about PVC sacs in lever fillers. They do put more stress on the delicate lever.
    I wondered about that myself. Pajaro would be the one to know, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I don't know about having forgotten more than you will ever know. I have forgotten most of what I used to know.
    Oh crumbs, Deb, tell me about it.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (April 6th, 2020)

Thanks

I’ve heard not to use PVC in celluloid pens. That would include Esterbrooks.

Thanks

The Esterbrooks I put PVC sacs in were a few done around 2012. A couple of J pens and a couple of M2 pens. Maybe others. All of these are working well. I pulled the section of a J sacked with a latex sac at the same time, and it feels funny on the surface of the latex. It feels as if it needs a resac. This is what I had hoped to avoid with the PVC.

Delicate lever? Doesn't feel delicate. Perhaps, Deb, you have seen a lot of them break?

Yes, using PVC sacs breaks with the usual custom. I try things. I bought a nice Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial, inlaid nib, from Main Street pens that Ron Zorn had resacced with a PVC sac in lieu of a latex sac. Working great. So, should I try something that promises to reduce maintenance and is generally not outwardly visible, or should I be bound by tradition and keep resaccing every eight to ten or so years? The answer depends on what you are after. A collector who doesn't use the pens or uses them little would go with the latex sac, because it's not performance he's after but a sample of something in original condition. Ideally he might have NOS pens and not bother resaccing. A user might be OK with PVC, because it might never need a resac. If it doesn't break, no need to fix it.
    Last edited by pajaro; April 6th, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (April 6th, 2020), Scrawler (April 6th, 2020)

Thanks

I have found the 9314F nib to be preferable to the 9314M.

Thanks

Just a casual eBay observation; these pens have doubled or tripled since I was restoring them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

welch (January 7th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Just a casual eBay observation; these pens have doubled or tripled since I was restoring them.
    They have indeed as more of them have landed in collections.

I evidently missed a good part of this thread for one reason or another. They aren't "just" lowly Esterbrooks anymore. The nibs 9XXX nibs are getting to be harder to find. But I still find pens at flea markets and antique shops.

FWIW, two sizes of sacs were used in Esterbrooks. For the early Dollar pens and transitional J with out the tray inside, a #18. For the other pens including a J with the sac tray inside, a #16.

PVC sacs are at this point almost extinct since Martin Smith passed a number of years ago. David Nishimura still sells #14 PVC, and his Parker 51 sacs are PVC. The sacs are a bit stiffer, and I had one or two levers fail out of all the pens they went in, usually the pin or spring ring. Never in an Esterbrook.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

I mentioned obtaining an Esterbrook "transitional" pen with a 2788 nib. I've been using it for journaling for 6 weeks now and think it might be one of the best nibs in my collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (April 15th, 2023), Deb (April 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello all. New guy here but I just acquired my first Esterbrook FP. It’s a J with a 2556 fine steel nib. It seems to work smoothly so far and I’m learning about these pens as I go. Any ideas of when this one may have been made? I’m guessing 1950’s but I’m not sure.
    Also, any tips, tricks or even general info on these pens would be much appreciated as I’m trying to learn all I can about the FP hobby. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hello, congratulations and I’m a user and appreciate the 2556 nib.

This is a resource I used for dating, http://www.esterbrook.net/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

LuckyLefty19 (May 23rd, 2023)