Thread: Customer service with greg minuskin...or lack of?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Customer service with greg minuskin...or lack of?

Has anyone had a recent email exchange or sent Greg minuskin a pen for repair anytime recently? I had easily one of the worst customer service experiences I’ve had in as long as I can remember last week. I’ve never even joined a forum but felt compelled and was curious if maybe I’m just crazy. I’m a little baffled by it all to be honest. Even after a series of emails of him being rude I thought what the hell, if he’s good at fixing pens I can let his unnecessary snarky and curt remarks slide.

I asked for his PayPal info and if he wanted payment in advance with no response regarding how or when to send him $. I sent him an email 2 days before the pen arrived. I described the pen in detail and what I was hoping for. My email doesn’t have my last name as its work related but I wrote my full name and address on the return address. I also wrote on the actual package “Army Green Sailor 1911L music nib pen for line variation adjustment”. After multiple email exchanges and only 2 days after I sent the package he informed me he’s sending it back to my return address. He said he had another Kyle in his system and said he doesn’t have 100’s of hours to look through emails to match names. Call me crazy, but if someone you’re emailing with the name Kyle describes the pen and what he wants done and when to expect the package and what I would write on it. If there’s 2 people named Kyle, that’s a pretty easy thing to figure out without spending 100’s of hours. And then to receive an email two days later and open it with a message saying, I received your pen but don’t know who’s it is so I’ll be sending it back. Wouldn’t it be easier to ask for my info than send it back to me. I was also gonna buy another pen he had for sale. Also how you can email someone and reply I received your pen but don’t know who’s it is???

I priced checked him against other reputable nib grinders first (from what I read even more qualified nib grinders) however he had a fast turn around which I needed. He quoted me $165 when everyone else was a fraction of that. I told him I don’t mind paying for quality but was curious why he charged more. He said “ I use professional equipment and lots of these “folks” use Dremel cut off wheels; rather crude. Their grinding wheels cost $1.10; mine costs $454.00.“

I reached out to mark and mike online, I thought they were pretty reputable from what I’ve read... are they the “folks” he’s talking about? I’m pretty new and naive to fountain pens but am an avid writer and fell in love instantly. Is Greg suggesting that these guy use $1 grinding wheels while he’s using a $450 one?

Has anyone had a similar experience recently? Am I crazy????

I can post our email exchange so I’m not putting words in his mouth and won’t fluff up my tone which was very polite until he sent back by pen and he signed the last email as “mail room staff” while the first 20 emails he signed Greg. I just couldn’t be more disappointed in the experience. I felt obligated to share and see if I’m the only one recently who’s experienced this. I’m pretty upset, it’s one thing to be rude and good at your job. I take my job and work very seriously and when someone waste my time it’s kind of a pet peeve especially after making two trips to the post office. Maybe I expected a higher level of professionalism, but this is an unacceptable way to run a business.

Mike and mark seemed to be the other two go to guys. Mark was incredibly kind and responsive when I emailed him about the repair. Can someone confirm that these guys aren’t the guys using $1 grinders as opposed to Greg’s $450. How are people even professionally fixing $300+ pens with a $1 or is that more of Greg talking.

Thank you for any feedback 🙏 I’m naive to a lot of the details of fountain pens but am now a lifelong collector and want to make sure I’m buying and getting any nibs fixed from the correct people.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kyleoquin For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 28th, 2019), Chrissy (December 28th, 2019), sjssf (December 27th, 2019)