Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Customer service with greg minuskin...or lack of?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Customer service with greg minuskin...or lack of?

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Jon-In an effort to be consistent, note the OP has one post as well.
    Fair point, truly. I would offer that the underlying purpose and motivation for each coming to the forum are slightly different. OP was up-front about the reason for joining FPG, and I was curious about the responder.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

As someone else who does pen restoration I do find it strange that he would return the package because he "didn't know whose it was". I have had people send me pens to work on and I had no idea who they were because they didn't contact me directly but had gotten my address and paypal information and sent the pen and payment without notifying me. It made no difference. I had their information on the package. I kept the pen in the package, unopened until I was able to get to it. I fixed it and sent it back to the name and address on the package. No big deal. I don't have to know everyone I do work for. Imagine how many packages FPH gets. There's no way they know what is coming. Their prices are usually on their site. You send the pen and send payment and when it's done, you get your pen back.

As for grinding - I have seen work done by Dremels/lapping film/micromesh pads, and I have seen work done by traditional wheels similar to what is used in fountain pen factories. I couldn't tell any difference even while examining the nib under a 60x loupe.

I myself do some jewelry and silversmithing. Between my fiance and I we have multiples of every jewelry tool and piece of equipment for jewelry making. There are so many of these tools and machines that lend themselves perfectly for pen restoration and nib work/repair and if done well you wouldn't know the nib was worked on with jewelers tools completely by hand. So, bragging that "my equipment costs me more so somehow now my work is more expensive even though it takes no more, and in many cases less, time than those who use a Dremel" is rather pointless. It's all about how well you use the tools you have, not their cost.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (December 29th, 2019), Detman101 (October 30th, 2020), silverlifter (December 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    I myself do some jewelry and silversmithing. Between my fiance and I we have multiples of every jewelry tool and piece of equipment for jewelry making. There are so many of these tools and machines that lend themselves perfectly for pen restoration and nib work/repair and if done well you wouldn't know the nib was worked on with jewelers tools completely by hand. So, bragging that "my equipment costs me more so somehow now my work is more expensive even though it takes no more, and in many cases less, time than those who use a Dremel" is rather pointless. It's all about how well you use the tools you have, not their cost.
    In his defense (a little, since we are trying to be fair) I think (those who know chime in please) there are 2 ways to repair a cracked nib and Greg is the only who does the fancier way, which is I believe (sorry to be so vague, my understanding is limited in this area) essentially gold welding. Apparently the machinery for this as well as the re-tipping and nib cutting is indeed very expensive and I think Greg has stuff from when we was a watchmaker. My understanding is the there are only 3 people who do extensive nib repair beyond grinding. Greg, the one guy in Spain, whose name escapes me, and Mottishaw.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 28th, 2019), welch (October 30th, 2020)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    In his defense (a little, since we are trying to be fair) I think (those who know chime in please) there are 2 ways to repair a cracked nib and Greg is the only who does the fancier way, which is I believe (sorry to be so vague, my understanding is limited in this area) essentially gold welding. Apparently the machinery for this as well as the re-tipping and nib cutting is indeed very expensive and I think Greg has stuff from when we was a watchmaker. My understanding is the there are only 3 people who do extensive nib repair beyond grinding. Greg, the one guy in Spain, whose name escapes me, and Mottishaw.
    Yep, the laser welder is very expensive. One of the master jewelers who I learned under has one and is showing me how to use it properly. A decent used one of these can be $5-10k. It can be used for retipping but there is also a tabletop tack welding setup that can be used. One such machine was shown in one of the episodes of Masters of The Fountain Pen. Nib cutting can be done with a jewelers saw with a thin blade often used for Opals.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 29th, 2019), stub (December 28th, 2019), welch (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Oh, he is/was a watch maker...that explains everything, and I mean that in the most complimentary, respectful way possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

I can confirm Greg is an accomplished watchmaker. He worked for many years for a very exclusive watch company.

Thanks

It should be noted that nothing in this thread questions Greg's abilities in the areas he chooses to work and, furthermore, points out that he offers services few others can provide. The only points in play are the transactional, customer service aspects of having work done by him.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Deb (December 29th, 2019), welch (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctox View Post
    Greg M. IS availalble, good, and fast. A bit eccentric? Well so what? So is Santa Claus.
    And yet, as numerous anecdotal accounts attest, that isn't always the case, which is the point of this thread. Eccentricity is more than acceptable in many walks of life, but in basic business transactions, it can be problematic.

Is it a coincidence that you've just joined FPG and happened to come across this thread, or did you come here as a show of support?

And the worst Santa Claus will do is leave a lump of coal in your Christmas 🎄 stocking.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctox View Post
    Greg M. IS availalble, good, and fast. A bit eccentric? Well so what? So is Santa Claus.
    And yet, as numerous anecdotal accounts attest, that isn't always the case, which is the point of this thread. Eccentricity is more than acceptable in many walks of life, but in basic business transactions, it can be problematic.

Is it a coincidence that you've just joined FPG and happened to come across this thread, or did you come here as a show of support?

And the worst Santa Claus will do is leave a lump of coal in your Christmas 🎄 stocking.
    Only if one has a stocking.

Thanks

Too bad about the customer service experience. I have used a few nibmeisters and all did great work and used a variety of tools that looked complicated and simple with no doubt prices to match. As for general experiences the mood and interactions tends to be on the great side with interesting chats as they work away and prices at shows all being quite comparable and long waiting times. There was one notable exception over the years and its best to turn the other cheek and just not use that person any more is my approach. Mom said if I cant say anything nice about someone dont say anything at all.

So in this case my advice is turn the other cheek and try Greg again hoping it was a one-off experience or move along to another nib expert with a waiting list and no rush pricing to get you in and out.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleoquin View Post

... he signed the last email as “mail room staff” while the first 20 emails he signed Greg. ....
    I'm not defending Greg. His manner is notorious as you've already read.

Did you really send him 20 emails about a nib grind? That's excessive and could be construed as pestering by the most patient person.

Stacy Hills
    PaperWantsAPen

17. The Following User Says Thank You to controlsfreak For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (December 31st, 2019)

Thanks

I've dealt with him on only one occasion and that was to repair a badly cracked Watermans 18kt #2 french export nib. Work was impeccable. Communication was effortless and the whole process too just over a week....no complaints here.
    Sorry to hear of your difficult dealings.
    I'd take the first sign of resistance as a not interested and move on.
    J

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sagebrush64 For This Useful Post:

welch (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I read the "horror stories", but needed somebody to re-tip a spare 146 nib and a vintage Omas. I went back and looked at the correspondence (late January 2019). I found him to be to-the-point, and easy to work with. I'm a grumpy old veteran, and I like to-the-point.

His actual turn-around time was 3 days. He sent an email that they were done, included high quality pictures, and did a great job.

I wouldn't hesitate to use him again for re-tipping. He's one of the few people that provides that service.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

welch (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

This is interesting. I have had him do some laser welding on a nib and some other repairs on another pen. Both transactions were fast and polite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    It's all very strange. I've read several stories about Greg's bizarre behaviour - it's like he's throwing custom away. Yet some years ago Greg and I corresponded for a time and he was perfectly nice. Multiple personalities?
    Mental illness is at an all time high in the USA.
    Covid, financial crisis, lockdown, threat of disease/death...it all factors in.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Yes, but please note that the content of this thread predates those issues, which didn't really start until March of 2020.

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Yes, but please note that the content of this thread predates those issues, which didn't really start until March of 2020.
    Ooooooh...I did not know that.
    Thank you.

After following all of the links to other threads detailing experiences with this nibmeister, I take it that this experience is par-for-the-course when dealing with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...After following all of the links to other threads detailing experiences with this nibmeister, I take it that this experience is par-for-the-course when dealing with him.
    That is not entirely true. If you want the services of one of the best there is, treat his talent and his skill with respect, and you won't be sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...After following all of the links to other threads detailing experiences with this nibmeister, I take it that this experience is par-for-the-course when dealing with him.
    That is not entirely true. If you want the services of one of the best there is, treat his talent and his skill with respect, and you won't be sorry.
    Strangely enough, I can see both sides of these incidents.
    The customer that expects to be treated kindly for their patronage...
    And the service provider that expects to be treated with respect for their mastery...
    Everyone deserves to be treated kindly.
    I wish there were a peaceful resolution to this all.

Thanks

I think this experience is in of itself, abnormal. In the FP community, people are very friendly, polite, and communicative - or at least my experiences are.

Sorry to hear this, and as others have mentioned I won't go to Greg unless absolutely necessary.
    -NK

u/sworist