Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Customer service with greg minuskin...or lack of?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: Customer service with greg minuskin...or lack of?

As far as the U.S--Brad Torelli also retips and probably does better quality work--he had to substantially shape correct and smooth out Minuskin's retip work (Soennecken 111 M stub) after I received it. He uses a different technique (can't remember his explanation clearly right now) to attach the tipping material which, unlike Minuskin's technique, doesn't result in the flexibility being altered.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

724Seney (February 28th, 2023), catbert (March 1st, 2023), Chrissy (March 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Thank you. It's true: we are currently experiencing a wonderful expansion in the number of skilled nib people for grinds and adjustment, a grand thing to have. Conversely, very few - maybe two? - people who can and will re-tip a nib. I don't foresee that ratio changing much.
    I expect a portion of these folks making wacky stacked and other bizarre and very creative nibs will wander into retipping. Look closely at the few working on making nibs from scratch. They'll *have* to learn to tip their stuff.

We'll see if a retipping service becomes amply remunerative for any of them. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one pivot to mostly retipping work.

The community is now bursting with young very clever folks. Retipping work may provide a bounty of low hanging fruit for the next entrant. Might see some folks giving it a shot in the next year or so. The next Regalia will likely be a tipping person.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 1st, 2023), fountainpenkid (March 1st, 2023), Jon Szanto (March 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

SPAM REPORTED.

Look at that post. Is there any doubt we’ve entered the era of AI spambots?
    Why does AI make mistakes in their spam that it then edits 30 minutes later?
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    SPAM REPORTED.

Look at that post. Is there any doubt we’ve entered the era of AI spambots?
    Why does AI make mistakes in their spam that it then edits 30 minutes later?
    No reason a machine-generated post can't be hand tweaked by a human. We are a niche interest, and I have a hard time believing that random human beings would sit there and come up with posts that look very much like the subject matter at hand and all to place one small link. But it *is* conjecture on my part, feel free to consider other strategies at play...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Didn’t a member here profess to having an AI engine responding to posts and that while primitive there was intent to update the code?

You can always just ignore the Spam.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 2nd, 2023), dneal (March 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    As far as the U.S--Brad Torelli also retips and probably does better quality work--he had to substantially shape correct and smooth out Minuskin's retip work (Soennecken 111 M stub) after I received it. He uses a different technique (can't remember his explanation clearly right now) to attach the tipping material which, unlike Minuskin's technique, doesn't result in the flexibility being altered.
    Brad Torelli is great... but man he likes to talk. Every time I call him, we're on the phone for an hour...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alperozt For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 2nd, 2023), FredRydr (March 2nd, 2023)