Thread: Aurora converter?

Thanks

Default Aurora converter?

My aurora converter has a small crack right where it right where it connects to the pen, it isn't leaking yet but I want to get a replacement so that if it does start I have one on standby, but the price for them is ridiculous.

I saw some things in a google search saying a parker converter would fit. Is that true or am I stuck paying a ridiculous price?

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mreeveshp; December 27th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Aurora converter?

The text of your message says "Aurora concert." Did you mean to write "Aurora converter"?

If we are talking about relatively recent Aurora cartridge-or-converter pens, then yes, any Parker converter will fit. My advice is to attempt to find, from an eBay seller, the Parker Deluxe converter just before the current model. The one I mean has a steel collar. The current twist-piston (Deluxe) converter has a black plastic sleeve that connects to the pen. I would prefer not to use that in one of my pens. But it's your pen.

As for the price of the Aurora converter, you may in time find that you are looking at a choice between (1) what you call a ridiculous price and (2) ridiculous quality.

Note: There are older Aurora models, such as the original DuoCart, introduced in the 1950s, that won't take Parker cartridges and won't take a Parker converter. Aurora hasn't been using the Parker standard since time immemorial. The ancient-history pens will sometimes do very nicely with Platinum cartridges and converters. Or of course the original Aurora stuff of that time. I don't happen to know when Aurora chose to standardize on the Parker specification, but it's been many years now.
    Last edited by Jerome Tarshis; December 27th, 2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: to add information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post
    The text of your message says "Aurora concert." Did you mean to write "Aurora converter"?

If we are talking about relatively recent Aurora cartridge-or-converter pens, then yes, any Parker converter will fit. My advice is to attempt to find, from an eBay seller, the Parker Deluxe converter just before the current model. The one I mean has a steel collar. The current twist-piston (Deluxe) converter has a black plastic sleeve that connects to the pen. I would prefer not to use that in one of my pens. But it's your pen.

As for the price of the Aurora converter, you may in time find that you are looking at a choice between (1) what you call a ridiculous price and (2) ridiculous quality.
    Fixed it yes I meant converter I think auto correct got me.

I just now noticed taking a picture of it that it says parker on the converter

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

Yes, ha ha. I tried to edit my post just now, but the FPG software got me.

As I tried to say, the Parker converter with a black plastic thingie at the end isn't something I'd put into a pen, even if it fits. Where we are is that unless you find one of the older Parker converters with a steel collar, which you may well be able to do on eBay or elsewhere, your choice is between an Aurora converter whose price you describe as ridiculous and a Parker converter whose quality you may come to think of as ridiculous.

Thanks

Yes, ha ha. I tried to edit my post just now, but the FPG software got me.

As I tried to say, the Parker converter with a black plastic thingie at the end isn't something I'd put into a pen, even if it fits. Where we are is that unless you find one of the older Parker converters with a steel collar, which you may well be able to do on eBay or elsewhere, your choice is between an Aurora converter whose price you describe as ridiculous and a Parker converter whose quality you may come to think of as ridiculous.
    So would this one possibly work?

https://www.penboutique.com/products...nverter-refill

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

Before you buy it, ask Pen Boutique if they are in fact selling the converter with the steel collar. It's been years since Parker manufactured those converters. The current production has the black plastic collar I think I saw in your photograph. With a crack in it.

It is of course possible that Pen Boutique bought a large quantity of the converters with steel collars and can continue selling them. But do ask first.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Before you buy it, ask Pen Boutique if they are in fact selling the converter with the steel collar. It's been years since Parker manufactured those converters. The current production has the black plastic collar I think I saw in your photograph. With a crack in it.

It is of course possible that Pen Boutique bought a large quantity of the converters with steel collars and can continue selling them. But do ask first.
    I already asked them. The picture is wrong and they aren't selling the version with the metal collar. They are selling the one with the plastic end.

I buy my Parker converters on ebay whenever I find the slightly squatter/fatter version with the metal end, as opposed to the version that has "spacers" around the bottom of the plastic part that means it is slightly slimmer.

I don't know where you are in the world, but ebay is the place to look.

I believe this is the slightly squatter/fatter one

This is the slimmer one with spacers around it. I find that these are inferior in some Parker classic models - 45, Sonnet, Duofold - but they might be OK in your Aurora.

Both seem expensive and I often find then for less on ebay.uk
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 28th, 2019 at 01:41 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I already asked them. The picture is wrong and they aren't selling the version with the metal collar. They are selling the one with the plastic end.

I buy my Parker converters on ebay whenever I find the slightly squatter/fatter version with the metal end, as opposed to the version that has "spacers" around the bottom of the plastic part that means it is slightly slimmer.

I don't know where you are in the world, but ebay is the place to look.

I believe this is the slightly squatter/fatter one

This is the slimmer one with spacers around it. I find that these are inferior in some Parker classic models - 45, Sonnet, Duofold - but they might be OK in your Aurora.

Both seem expensive and I often find then for less on ebay.uk
    So if they are selling the ones with the plastic collar it won't work, because if it is the same as mine with the plastic collar I'm okay with that.

The only other thing I thought of is buying a pack of cartridges and I can refill them with a syringe, I always fill my converters with a syringe anyway

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Last edited by mreeveshp; December 28th, 2019 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks

I'm trying to buy it all in one go, I'm getting some inks from them since they are cheaper than goulet and I'm trying to use up a Visa gift card in one shot instead of only having a dollar or two left on it.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

If it's the plastic end one I assume it will still work, like the one you already have. But it will split like the one that has already split.

Thanks

If it's the plastic end one I assume it will still work, like the one you already have. But it will split like the one that has already split.
    https://www.gouletpens.com/products/...11884724813867

I'm guessing this one is the same as what I already have.

It took a long time to split, i was gifted that pen and have had it for a few years and it just split a couple months ago but still works perfect.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

I can only spend the money on the gift card so I'm trying to get the things I want without going over. I have to be careful with every cent I spend while I'm going through double knee surgery without insurance. And no income since I was a sub contractor.

That's the other reason I thought about getting cartridges and once one is empty I can refill it with whatever I want. But I would rather have a converter.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post

It took a long time to split, i was gifted that pen and have had it for a few years and it just split a couple months ago but still works perfect.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Unfortunately, it is not the same converter. Parker converters are proprietary and only work with Aurora because of a Parker/Aurora connection that evolved long time ago.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

When you used the Pen Boutique link that was a Parker branded converter.
    The converter in your Goulet Pens link isn't a Parker converter. You need to start with a Parker branded converter not a standard international one.

Thanks

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

When you used the Pen Boutique link that was a Parker branded converter.
    The converter in your Goulet Pens link isn't a Parker converter. You need to start with a Parker branded converter not a standard international one.
    Yup I see that now, I'm still debating on getting the converter from the pen boutique or the cartridges. The converter would sure be a whole lot easier to clean and if it's what has been working great in my pen so far I'm hoping the new one will too. I just don't want to get one that doesn't work and waste that amount on the gift card when I could get something else.

I really don't know exactly what I should do

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Thanks

A Parker converter will fit your pen, so will Parker long cartridges. However, while refilling cartridges is a good idea, they can become loose after a short time.
    Your Parker converter has been working in your Aurora pen. It's now split at the end and needs replacing. If you replace it with a Parker converter then it's the same as what you had. Surely no confusion there?