Thread: Tricky twist-fillers and button fillers

Thanks

Default Tricky twist-fillers and button fillers

When repairing pens I come across all sorts of difficulties. Except for stuck nibs and feeds on any pen, I struggle with twist fillers.

Swan models and others have a space for the presser bar in the section you fit the ink sack too. It can be very tricky to get the parts in correcly, for the twist filling action to actually work. I have manage to bend a new presser bar out of shape, and the ink sack has some how taken a twisted form. This one I'm now mailing to a repair guy.

The other problem has been a no particular brand pen with the basic button filler parts, section - ink sack - presser bar, and push button on top. There isn't any space in the section to secure the presser bar in place. Is that a normal feature on button fillers? It looks like the botton of the presser bar is prone to puncture the ink sack? There's probably some basic element to it I don't see.

Anyone who recognise the problems?
    Last edited by arrow; December 31st, 2019 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Tricky twist-fillers and button fillers

The later form of the Leverless Swan, the one you describe, is quite a difficult repair.
    I don't quite understand your difficulty with the button filler. Perhaps photographs might help.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I made a mess of the button filler too. When I first opened the pen, it was missing the ink sack, and the presser bar was rusty and broken. I left the nib and feed on the section and cleaned it the best I could. It looks like the new presser bar is the same as the old broken one. I had to guess the ink sac size from the diameter of the section piece. I glued the in sack on with shellac, it looked like it took well, but after the presser bar was inserted from top, it din't work as it should. It had less spring action to the button than I expected, and later on I discovered the in sack came off on one side where it's glued to the section. I have tried to reglue it, but with much the same result.

Thanks

Does the bottom of the presser bar rest against anything in particular on buttonfillers? It some how has to, to get a spring action, and initially I thought it was the edge of the section. Maybe I inserted the presser bar incorrectly, and it pushed against the rubber sack?

Thanks

Hello again arrow,
    Which button filler are we talking about? What size sac did you use? With button fillers I allow the sac to cure on the section for several hours before refitting. Is the section screw-in or friction fit?
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I can't remember the size, it went into the barrel with ease, and onto the section with out needing to stretch it much. I was a bit hasty to try it after fitting it on with the shellac glue. After watching others replace ink sacks on youtube and do the same, I just waited a few minutes and tried to fille the pen with ink. I may have to give it another try.

There's unfortunately no brand name on it, grey, marbled, and with black cap to cover the filler button. 14 carat nib, guilded clip and band around the cap. The section is threaded and screw-in type. I shall se if I can manage to upload a picture, my camera doesn't behave indoors at the moment.

Edit; I found a new sack the same size, I think it's 18,. The pen is a bit longer and a tad fatter than the Swan I got from you Deb.
    Last edited by arrow; January 1st, 2020 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks

The pressure bar sits on the section. If you are having difficulty pushing the pressure bar past the sac, use a slender screwdriver to push the sac to one side so you can slide the pressure bar in. Your size 18 sac sounds about right.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

And here's where that talc (that's being discussed in another thread) will come in very handy to avoid binding the sac during reassembly.