Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montblanc 324 push button mechanism (novice repairer)

Thanks

Default Montblanc 324 push button mechanism (novice repairer)

Hi everyone,

This will be my first repair project with my button-filler MB 324 which has a lovely oblique nib I am very fond of. It was a daily writer and shirt pocket pen until about a year ago when ink leaked through the blind cap end and congealed. Finally, I got up the courage to take it apart and have a look. As expected, the ink sack had corroded away (see photo).

Now I can buy a new ink sack and fit it; probably not too difficult... But firstly, what about the button filler mechanism, it looks somewhat corroded and is in two parts. There is a small hole in the middle of both metal bars, I presume these were supposed to be attached, if so how? Looking online I can’t find one like it but then have no idea if it is original or not. Any tips much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc 324 push button mechanism (novice repairer)

You need a new presser bar, the kind with the narrow top to fit in the button cap on top. The two pieces of your presser bar should be welded together (I have seen various methods used to fit it on) and have a sort of spring action. The shorter flat piece presses against the ink sack when the longer piece is pushed down (as I'm sure you know well). I think the generic replacements work with older Montblancs, and most button fillers in general, the main thing is the get the right size.

I have had problems when replacing ink sack on one of my button fillers. I think some pens have a slight bend at the botton end of the presser bar, most don't. I'm not entirely sure, the bend might be a damage to the presser bar. At least, yours looks like it's straight and no fuzz about it. The ink sack usuall goes on, make sure the section is clean and the new rubber sack is dust free (not all are).

When you asseble the pen; the section with new ink sack is put back in place; then the presser bar is inserted from top. The filler button needs to come off.

I have to admit, I struggle a bit to see where I go wrong on my pen, I'm in doubt I have the right spring action on the presser bar when assebled, and I some how have an ink sack that comes loose on one side I think the presser bar might have damaged it some how. Get the same size in sack as the original in the pen, and cut it to the same length. My buttonf iller is being mailed to a specialst repair guy along with a twistfiller ;- )

I have ordered parts from this site; a seller I was recommended. There is a US seller that is recommended on this forum too, there are a few models that need special parts and a good think to know about. Your pen looks like it takes the regular replacement parts.
    Last edited by arrow; January 1st, 2020 at 02:51 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

profdavid (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    You need a new presser bar, the kind with the narrow top to fit in the button cap on top. The two pieces of your presser bar should be welded together (I have seen various methods used to fit it on) and have a sort of spring action. The shorter flat piece presses against the ink sack when the longer piece is pushed down (as I'm sure you know well). I think the generic replacements work with older Montblancs, and most button fillers in general, the main thing is the get the right size.

I have had problems when replacing ink sack on one of my button fillers. I think some pens have a slight bend at the botton end of the presser bar, most don't. I'm not entirely sure, the bend might be a damage to the presser bar. At least, yours looks like it's straight and no fuzz about it. The ink sack usuall goes on, make sure the section is clean and the new rubber sack is dust free (not all are).

When you asseble the pen; the section with new ink sack is put back in place; then the presser bar is inserted from top. The filler button needs to come off.

I have to admit, I struggle a bit to see where I go wrong on my pen, I'm in doubt I have the right spring action on the presser bar when assebled, and I some how have an ink sack that comes loose on one side I think the presser bar might have damaged it some how. Get the same size in sack as the original in the pen, and cut it to the same length. My buttonf iller is being mailed to a specialst repair guy along with a twistfiller ;- )

I have ordered parts from this site; a seller I was recommended. There is a US seller that is recommended on this forum too, there are a few models that need special parts and a good think to know about. Your pen looks like it takes the regular replacement parts.
    Arrow - thanks so much for your advice! Thanks also for pointing me to that website, I had no idea it existed but as I am in the UK I will be a regular visitor. I have ordered up the pressure bars and ink sack and will let you know how I get on. I haven't been able to get the button off yet but will soak it a while then retry as the congealed ink may be inhibiting removal.

Thanks

Is that a 30s or 40s pen? The most common way to get the button off is simply pulling it up. The lower part of the button usually has some cut out parts and the metal gives when you pull it up. I don't know about Montblancs at all. I'm not that experienced, but this is the sort of thing I have spent a bit of time and money on the last year and pens are both fun and interesting to work with. Your MB 324 a fine pen, so take your time and be carefull.

Regards : )

Thanks

Thanks arrow, it is a 1930s pen. Try as I might I have been unable to remove the button; any more force and I fear I will break the pen. I don't suppose there is any chance the pressure bar is inserted from the nib end?

Thanks

I guess it's possible, but not the easiest way. The thing is to make sure the top of the pressure bar is in the button and the botton rests on the side of the section. The tricky part would be to push the section with ink sack in place and for all the bits to align correctly. Your pen has a non threaded, push-in-to-place section, it should in theory be possible. I shouldn't give you advice really, I'm still working on one of my buttonfillers and don't have much experience.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

profdavid (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by profdavid View Post
    Thanks arrow, it is a 1930s pen. Try as I might I have been unable to remove the button; any more force and I fear I will break the pen. I don't suppose there is any chance the pressure bar is inserted from the nib end?
    Francis Goosens is the man who can answer this question
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I guess it's possible, but not the easiest way. The thing is to make sure the top of the pressure bar is in the button and the botton rests on the side of the section. The tricky part would be to push the section with ink sack in place and for all the bits to align correctly. Your pen has a non threaded, push-in-to-place section, it should in theory be possible. I shouldn't give you advice really, I'm still working on one of my buttonfillers and don't have much experience.
    Well, you have more experience than me so your advice is very much appreciated :-) I have all the new bits and bobs from The Pendragons (great website and superquick delivery) and have managed to fit the new ink sac with shellac which is now drying. I think the new pressure bar will sit on the section but we'll find out for sure when I try to fit it all together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Francis Goosens is the man who can answer this question
    Thanks Chrissy, if it doesn't work I will drop him a line.

Thanks

Well it seemed to work fine, the bottom of the bar sat on the section as I gently pushed the pen back together. Whilst the button depresses, appears to draw ink, and my lovely oblique 324 is back in action as a daily writer, I guess only time will tell if it is drawing sufficient ink so that the sack is working correctly and stays leak free. Arrow - thanks so much, I couldn't have done it without you.

Looks are a secondary concern to the functioning of the pen but as I was cleaning it the barrel seemed to adopt a more brownish tint, is there any way to redress this?

Now, my next project will be my MB 124 push knob filler...

Thanks

Well done - good job.
    Don't worry about the slight browning, it's quite normal and is fine as it is.

Did you knock out the nib & feed? They look like they might need to go back in a little bit further. Too late now though. Next time....
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 7th, 2020 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks

Well done - good job.

Did you knock out the nib & feed? They look like they might need to go back in a little bit further. Too late now though. Next time....
    No I didn't dismantle the nib/section unit, in my excitment I even for got to clean them :-( Like you say, next time, and I will bear in mind your point about the nib and feed. Lots to learn...

Thanks

Well done - good job.

No I didn't dismantle the nib/section unit, in my excitment I even for got to clean them :-( Like you say, next time, and I will bear in mind your point about the nib and feed. Lots to learn...
    Looking at your pictures it looks like they are both significantly further out of the section now than they were before, so someone has had them out. That feed would originally have been in the section right up to the notch, and the nib up to the inky part. If it was me I would probably get the sac off again and get them back in properly before I tried writing with the pen. It may make quite a difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Sorry to come in late on this. Buttons can be difficult to remove but the repair is easier with it out. Heat helps a lot. A heat gun or at least a hair dryer is an essential part of the tool kit.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Well done - good job.

Looking at your pictures it looks like they are both significantly further out of the section now than they were before, so someone has had them out. That feed would originally have been in the section right up to the notch, and the nib up to the inky part. If it was me I would probably get the sac off again and get them back in properly before I tried writing with the pen. It may make quite a difference.
    Interesting. The attached photo shows the nib unit when I bought the pen (some 2 1/2 years ago), to me it doesn't look any different to the pen now? Has it always been too far out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Sorry to come in late on this. Buttons can be difficult to remove but the repair is easier with it out. Heat helps a lot. A heat gun or at least a hair dryer is an essential part of the tool kit.
    Thanks for the tip! I will try this if I have to do it again or with my push knob filler. I am not sure my wife will approve of her Dyson being used with my messy pens though ;-)

Thanks

The close-up pic of the nib shows it's been out - I can see the line across the platinised mask through the "p." Also the original picture showing the feed shows it has a notch that would have originally been lined up next to the end of the section.

Thanks

The close-up pic of the nib shows it's been out - I can see the line across the platinised mask through the "p." Also the original picture showing the feed shows it has a notch that would have originally been lined up next to the end of the section.
    Thanks Chrissy, I can see the line across the "p". So, to be clear the nib and feed should be pushed further into the section as per the green arrow I have added?

How will my not having done this impact the pen's performance?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

It might be okay, but if you experience flow issues, push the nib and feed further into the section.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

It is a lovely writer so I will probably may leave as is for now.