Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You most disappointing pen or pens

Thanks

Default Re: You most disappointing pen or pens

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.grace View Post
    I often find that modern pens are set up with nibs that write too dry, but it's not hard to adjust them to have a wetter flow.
    +1 on dry nib syndrome on modern pens. Fortunately, I am never without my thumbs which work well in correcting nibs.
    Thank God for opposable thumbs!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dr.grace For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Wow, "lots" of MB downers. I do want one eventually but I will keep my expectations low.
    In my case I read and absorbed all the hype and expected an MB 146 to be the perfect pen. In reality, it turned out to be an ok pen whose writing quality was equalled or bettered by others, and had the irritating feature of only being manufacturer serviceable. When you try a pen that costs around 10% of a Montblanc and find it a better writer, the halo disappears and you realise that "all that glisters is not gold". I should maybe add that the nibs were plain old Mediums and there may be some gems in finer/broader/stub that I have never discovered.
    So in summary, the 146 was perfectly acceptable but not strikingly different in performance - then considering the price, the disappointment followed rapidly.
    Last edited by UK Mike; June 22nd, 2013 at 03:56 AM.
    Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to UK Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow, "lots" of MB downers. I do want one eventually but I will keep my expectations low.
    It's not that they are bad pens. It is just that their regular series pens are significantly overpriced for what they are. Considering $400-600 gets you some really nice celluloid pens or unique designs/materials from Visconti, Delta, Aurora, etc., it is underwhelming to pay more than that for a generic black pen with nothing particularly unique about it.

Their SE/LE pens are a lot more interesting.
    Trying to be half the person my dog thinks me to be!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to de_pen_dent For This Useful Post:

auto winder (August 23rd, 2013), fountainpenkid (July 1st, 2013), kaisnowbird (August 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UK Mike View Post

In my case I read and absorbed all the hype and expected an MB 146 to be the perfect pen. In reality, it turned out to be an ok pen whose writing quality was equalled or bettered by others, and had the irritating feature of only being manufacturer serviceable. When you try a pen that costs around 10% of a Montblanc and find it a better writer, the halo disappears and you realise that "all that glisters is not gold". I should maybe add that the nibs were plain old Mediums and there may be some gems in finer/broader/stub that I have never discovered.
    So in that was, the 146 was perfectly acceptable but not strikingly different in performance - then considering the price, the disappointment followed rapidly.
    Or rather, "all that is gold does not glister", in the case of MB fountain pens...
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to snedwos For This Useful Post:

CapeClear (June 26th, 2013)

Thanks

TWSBI Micarta comes to mind. Every time I opened it is find ink soaked into the section and interior of the cap, even if kept upright and not jostled. The stock nib was also defective, but TWSBI came through big time on that--great customer for sure! I've since coated the entire pen in renaissance wax to help with the soaking and spreading issue.
    My blog, the Five Cat Penagerie.

Thanks

After the disappointment of my 149 for some silly reason I had not learned my lesson and was tempted into buying a 146, but with this one there was no disappointment, what a joy it is to use, buttery smooth and wet, unlike the 149 which is quite dry and not very smooth at all, its not scratchy but dose not glide over the paper because its too dry. Not sure I will risk that sort of money on another Montblanc Pen though, unless I can try it before I pay for it.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

It's hard to say, as I own a LOT of pens, and just recently acquired three Goal Pens (a trio of Sailors, differing nibs/bodies) with which I am delighted.

Most of my other fps are so low-end that I have equal delight in them and have found many 'happy accidents,' as in, 'Whoa, I never expected to like a three-dollar pen THIS much!'

If a fp is disappointing I usually donate, sell, or, if new enough, return.

My first Lamy was a lemon but I have since happily made friends with the brand/model and now collect the LE colors.

I can't write with my Rotring Core due to the freakeh section but I love the nib and the look. Ever' now and then it gets played with.

I guess I'd have to say a very cool-looking Sheaffer Imperial that refused to write and got returned, coupled with an equally-attractive Prelude that sorta cramps my fingers. And has flow probs.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    TWSBI Micarta comes to mind. Every time I opened it is find ink soaked into the section and interior of the cap, even if kept upright and not jostled. The stock nib was also defective, but TWSBI came through big time on that--great customer for sure! I've since coated the entire pen in renaissance wax to help with the soaking and spreading issue.
    I had that same issue but it turned out that the nib collar was cracked in two places. Speedy replaced it for me.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UK Mike View Post
    So in summary, the 146 was perfectly acceptable but not strikingly different in performance - then considering the price, the disappointment followed rapidly.
    If you want a Montblanc, get a vintage one that's been restored by someone trusted. I think they are 100x the pens the modern Montblancs are. That may be personal preference, but for $200 I can get a used Montblanc that is far and away (to my hand) better than the brand new $600 models...
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

CapeClear (June 26th, 2013), fountainpenkid (June 26th, 2013), KrazyIvan (June 26th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I had to think about this, cos I typically forget the disappointing pens. But the modern Conway Stewarts -- back when there was a "bespoke" blow-out sale. I couldn't believe how cheap the pens felt, particularly for the price point, sale or no. Don't get me started on the lousy nibs. Which was shocking, cos I'd tried Deirdre's Dandies, and they were nice! And Kevin's Wine CS. Wonderful! So. I was very not pleased.

The bright silver lining of this experience was the evil Evil Pen Purveyor's (Bry Greer) exemplary customer service. I'll buy pens from Bry (too bad he doesn't sell Nakayas, (sad face)), but not a modern CS.

Thanks

Thus far my most disappointing pen was the m805 I just got in and had a nib tipping issue. I sent it to chartpak to get nib swap. Should be back within 2 weeks with a working italic nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    Thus far my most disappointing pen was the m805 I just got in and had a nib tipping issue. I sent it to chartpak to get nib swap. Should be back within 2 weeks with a working italic nib.
    My recently acquired M800 also had a nib with a tipping problem (tipping not equally applied to the tines). I also had to have the nib replaced.

Thanks

I have had bad experiences with the Kaweco Sport. The form factor isn't for me. I like a small pocket pen, but it defeats itself with a threaded cap, a too small body and a huge cap.

I also agree that Noodler's pens are god-awful. I've had problems with my Ahab (inkmageddon multiple times), my Konrad (defrictioned nib unit - again, inkmageddon) and my Creaper (cap cracked in multiple places). That's not to say I don't like Indian pens, because my FPR pen lot had some winners (Airmail/Serwexes), and the Dilli is a keeper.

I used to love my TWSBI Diamond 540 and Mini. I cleaned them and put them back in my pen box, reinking them a few months later to find that both of them had cracks in the body, nib unit or cap. I don't think I'll be getting any more of them.

No problems with my many Lamy Safaris, though the AL-Star I just received is sort of a let down. I was expecting a more metallic, less plastic feel to the body/cap.

Thanks

My worst pen was a Lamy 2000 that broke inside after just one week of use. I had it repaired, got it back and after a month it broke again. I then disassembled the pen, took out the really flimsy piston mechanism and converted it into an eyedropper. Since that it is fine but I`m never getting a piston filler from Lamy again. With piston fillers, I prefer Pelikan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moxoftritonytes View Post
    My worst pen was a Lamy 2000 that broke inside after just one week of use. I had it repaired, got it back and after a month it broke again. I then disassembled the pen, took out the really flimsy piston mechanism and converted it into an eyedropper. Since that it is fine but I`m never getting a piston filler from Lamy again. With piston fillers, I prefer Pelikan.
    Wow, never heard of one of those breaking.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moxoftritonytes View Post
    Wow, never heard of one of those breaking.
    That must be a dud. These have been dropped off buildings before and survived with only a dent.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

The Pentech Sabre. It never wrote without skipping, and had one of those horrible stamped/folded nibs. Plus the nib had no breather hole and was powdercoated glossy black which probably didn't help the writing performance. Of course I did happen to pick it up at a BigLots.

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Probably the Jinhao 159. I ordered it for a trial run on an eventual 149 purchase. Took 7 weeks to get to me, and when I got it, it was freakin heavy, plus the B nib is more like an M nib. I couldn't wait so I got the 149, and it came before the Jinhao.

I haven't inked it up yet, but one of these days, I'll put some ink in it and try it out. I've only dipped it once. But for $10, I can't really complain.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    But for $10, I can't really complain.
    And yet...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    But for $10, I can't really complain.
    And yet...
    hahh hahh., Yes, and yet, the complaint still surfaces. A complaint silenced is not a complaint but a latent resignment of the acceptance of dissatisfaction.