Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New pen suggestions.

Thanks

Default Re: New pen suggestions.

Any road up. In my reading on the subject, vast though it is and shallow has been this dive, is it reasonable to conclude that the most common vintage pens are likely to be:

1. Parker
    2. Sheaffer
    3. Pelikan
    4. Montblanc
    5. Esterbrook

Common meaning there's tons of 'em about.

In modern pens:

1. Pelikan (still, but waaay out of budget)
    2. Pilot
    3. Platinum
    4. Sailor
    5. Parker (still)
    6. Montblanc (again waaay out of budget)

Obviously there are tons of different makes and models, just tryna winnow it down to fruitful candidate areas rather than chasing stuff that is not easy to find. May be a stupid way of approaching it, all I got for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    Any road up. In my reading on the subject, vast though it is and shallow has been this dive, is it reasonable to conclude that the most common vintage pens are likely to be:

1. Parker
    2. Sheaffer
    3. Pelikan
    4. Montblanc
    5. Esterbrook

Common meaning there's tons of 'em about.

In modern pens:

1. Pelikan (still, but waaay out of budget)
    2. Pilot
    3. Platinum
    4. Sailor
    5. Parker (still)
    6. Montblanc (again waaay out of budget)

Obviously there are tons of different makes and models, just tryna winnow it down to fruitful candidate areas rather than chasing stuff that is not easy to find. May be a stupid way of approaching it, all I got for now.
    Just a quick heads up because although some Brits especially might tend to talk with your broad Midlands accent, they don't usually type with it. Maybe turning on your spellchecker might help.
    Any road up and tryna winnow it down may escape some readers.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

In Britain, with the exception of Parker, these are far from the most common vintage pens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    In Britain, with the exception of Parker, these are far from the most common vintage pens.
    I tend to agree about that. I've only ever seen one Esterbrook in my pen lifetime, and I bought that while I was in the US.... I've never seen a Platinum or Sailor pen in real life.

In Britain I think Waterman would need to be added to that list.

Thanks

Conway Stewart, Swan, Blackbird, Onoto, Mentmore, Burnham, Newhaven Parker, English Waterman, Wyvern, Croxley, Stephens and a variety of cheaper pens. Those are the most common vintage pens either from British vintage pen sellers or eBay. Most of the pens you have listed, DumDum, will have to be sourced elsewhere and will incur import duty.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I've found a few Esties in the UK. But mainly, Parker, Waterman, Onoto/De la Rue, and the others. I've seen quite a few Canadian made pens in the UK (mainly Waterman). I'm not the expert here but I would think Parkers are a good place to start - lots of information available and lots of spares available too.

Plus the 'English Duofold' is an attractive pen that's generally reasonably priced and the nibs are often really gorgeous.

Thanks

Mr Pen (UK based) has a perfectly decent range of pens with very nice nibs. It would not hurt to look at the Italix range - the Captain's Commission is a beautiful pen (but rather heavy). The Italix Parson's Essential is also very good - one of the better pens you can get for less than £40. The Faber Castell Loom is another option.

Lamy is another brand you could look at. Cult pens has 10% off Lamy at the moment - so a Lamy 2000 for £120 is not a bad prospect - piston filler, classy design and good nib. They also have the Pelikan M200 & M205 for less than £100 - which might be up your street as well.

Parkers - well, in my opinion the current Sonnets are quite nice. The 18K nib on the Special Editions are nice. The Sonnet remains balanced when posted and is a nice writer. You can get good deals on Sonnets - WH Smiths has 30% of Premium pens at the moment - including a variety of Sonnets. Avoid the IM's, urbans and FP Jotters. They're not all that great. Vintage Parkers - P51, Duofold and earlier can be great buys too. In the UK, vintage Parkers are probably the easiest to find.

Cross come with a lifetime warranty. The Century 2 & Townsends are not the most exciting pens, but they are extremely reliable writers. If you want something to put a line down on a page all day, every day - with no fuss, then Cross is an excelelnt buy. Just make sure you get a convertor as Cross cartridges are v expensive.

Japanese Pilot. Platinum and Sailors are very good. The Platinum #3776 or Sailor Pro-Gear slim (both cartridge pens) come in at just under £100 and are decent writers. Slightly different nibs - but excellent writters. i don't have any Pilots to write about - but the capless has a lovely nib.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

amk (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Not restricting meself to the local market, was clarting about on the internet for info, so me marketplace is global. Prolly sounds half soaked to some, but that's the way me searching goes.

Ta muchly for the additional info, particly the mention of Cult pens. Great site they have.

Ta ra a bit.

Simon
    Last edited by DumDum; January 6th, 2020 at 01:02 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DumDum For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Is English your second language, DumDum? I have no idea what "clarting about" means and I can't find "particly" in the dictionary.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Clart is northern English for mud.

Clarting about - mucking about.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

amk (January 7th, 2020), welch (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you, Sandy. As a Pennsylvanian I don't always understand the English demotic though I've picked up the Scottish variety quite well.. I would have thought it would be more trouble to write in dialect than in everyday English.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I would have thought it would be more trouble to write in dialect than in everyday English.
    Me too....

Thanks

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition language police.

Write how I speak; that includes local expressions cos it's natural to me. Have no problem with the "dialect" of others from round the globe. Context renders most "dialect" intelligible in me opinion.

Any road up (that means 'anyway' for those keeping score), lots of great suggestions so far, tho' it is a lot to wade through. What appeals visually, what is easy found, what is reliable. These tend to be me yardsticks. Not specifically wedded to vintage or modern. Open to either, I spose.

edit: slight edit for speeling.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DumDum For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (January 6th, 2020), ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Oookay, some Q's to answer.

No, not new to using fountain pens, though it's not been a hobby, so in that sense just sniffing around the entrance to the rabbit burrow. Intended use is for most daily writing, with exception of when the paper choice is not mine. Budget, that one is tricksy. Put in USD terms, prolly anything up to about $200?
    Maybe a Parker 51? People have a love-hate relationship with this pen, but it is a solid choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I like both modern and vintage pens. I think the nibs on many vintage pens write more pleasantly than most modern pens, at least in the price range that you're looking at. Personally, I particularly like vintage stub nibs with a slight amount of give to them. On the other hand, lever-fillers, aerometric fillers, button-fillers, and some other filling systems on vintage pens don't let you see your ink level, so you can run out of ink suddenly. There are some vintage pens, like Pelikans and Montblancs, that have windows that let you see the ink level, but they tend to be pretty expensive and sometimes there are issues with seals and whatnot. Most modern pens will let you check your ink level just by unscrewing the barrel and looking at the converter or cartridge. BTW, for practical usage, cartridges are way more convenient than converters or even piston-fillers, although they don't offer the colour selection that bottled inks do.

Of my modern pens I like Sailor, Pelikan and Waterman the best. Pilots are very good too. For vintage pens, my favorites, hands-down, are Sheaffers.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I like both modern and vintage pens. I think the nibs on many vintage pens write more pleasantly than most modern pens, at least in the price range that you're looking at. Personally, I particularly like vintage stub nibs with a slight amount of give to them. On the other hand, lever-fillers, aerometric fillers, button-fillers, and some other filling systems on vintage pens don't let you see your ink level, so you can run out of ink suddenly. There are some vintage pens, like Pelikans and Montblancs, that have windows that let you see the ink level, but they tend to be pretty expensive and sometimes there are issues with seals and whatnot. Most modern pens will let you check your ink level just by unscrewing the barrel and looking at the converter or cartridge. BTW, for practical usage, cartridges are way more convenient than converters or even piston-fillers, although they don't offer the colour selection that bottled inks do.

Of my modern pens I like Sailor, Pelikan and Waterman the best. Pilots are very good too. For vintage pens, my favorites, hands-down, are Sheaffers.
    There are a great many lesser-known (and less expensive) German piston fillers that are easily restored where necessary and often have excellent nibs.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Well DumDum bor, oi dun't roihgtly know what pen you want, but you dun't talk proper. Not for Naarfuk :-)

Nice to 'hear' an English regional accent on the forum, whatever some others think. I don't speak real Norfolk, grandad did, but I still like to let a bishybarnabee walk over my thumb or watch the millymollers in the air of a summer evening.

(Ladybirds, thistledown)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks

The idea is to enhance communication in an international forum, not to make it harder for others to understand. We all have our accents and we could replicate them here . There's no special talent to it.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Lets see... mix Philadelphia/Southern New Jersey, with Central New York, and Pittsburgh..... The thought makes my head spin.

Thanks

DumDum doesn't always type with his dialect. His post on the "break-in" period thread is that of a well-educated person, who is very knowledgeable. I think he's just playing with us on this thread.

Muscle memory aids in the forming of letters when using a pen. Less so with the weight applied to the nib, or other variables in play.

For example, consider how you lift objects with one hand. There is no way that you have tried lifting all available objects, and thus by extension cannot have developed a muscle memory on a per object basis. And yet, and yet, we have no difficulty (normally, natch) in instantaneously assessing the weight and fragility of an object we are going to lift. Usually this enjoys a reasonably high degree of accuracy (based on previous experience of apparently similar objects), tho' it also incorporates real time sensory feedback and instant adjustment.

This explains why once a person has learned how to write, it usually doesn't take much practice to be able to do so with a wide variety of instruments - brushes, pencils of varying softness, nibs of differing widths, pointy sticks in the sand and so on. For sure, some will require a little more adjustment for some people. As a generalisation tho' it sounds reasonable.